davidwort

davidwort's 16v - looking a bit shinier

Yay! All back together and it runs.

boooo! Not on cylinder 4, no compression at all, either I've bent a valve on a non interference engine :scratch: or something very odd is going on, more investigation tomorrow...

Argh... not good David :( Good luck fixing the problem :|

:lol: Glad you've found the cause of the prob so quickly. Bet that cam will make a nice difference 8) Well done on getting in there- think I'd be too scared to do that myself! :lol:

head stripdown is much easier than I thought, I've changed heads but never done the full stripdown myself, only fiddly bit was getting the old valve stem seals off the top of the valve guides, I'm sure there's a proper vw tool for that somewhere, this age of vw hydraulic tappet head, 8v, 16v or VR6 are all pretty simple mechanically, you just need a simple valve spring compressor clamp.

I wish the old engines had a coolant drain tap though like my mk4, makes the job much less messy and no waste of coolant.

Unlucky dude, looks like a good job otherwise. 2e's might not be interference as standard but the extra lift on that camshaft could cause a bit of contact.

This has been a bit of a mission, new water pump, oil cooler seal and the offending exhaust valve.

It's been worth it though, just set the ignition timing up correctly and it absolutely flies, well chuffed after all the work and cursing :cheers:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]68631[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]68632[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]68633[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]68634[/ATTACH]

plodding along, a couple of things, a car cover to keep dust and scratches off the 16v when it's in the garage and rain off it when it's got to go outside when I need to work in the garage, and a bit of progress on refurbing two of my 8v wheels.

The cover is a Sealey one, I couldn't justify 150 quid on a custom car cover and this seemed to fit the bill, it's not bad at all, it has a soft underside:o, is totally waterproof, has two vents to stop moisture build up underneath it and best of all a zip door in the side!

£38 quid delivered from amazon, said it was for a car a maximum of 10cm longer than the corrado and it could do with being a little bigger, but then I think the large would just flap about in the wind, I'm getting a couple of clip on tarpaulin eyelets to make it even more secure outside but tbh it's nice snug fit (better than it looks in the pics) and I can't see it coming off in the wind, rained fairly heavily yesterday afternoon and was pretty windy and it barely moved.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]69377[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]69376[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]69375[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]69374[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]69373[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]69372[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]69378[/ATTACH]

I've got six of this style of 8v wheel, so I'm refurbing 2 at a time to keep the car on wheels, so far I've rubbed down filled with alloy repair, primed and flatted down twice, they're looking good so far and I'm hoping to spray the VW spec silver basecoat on Saturday. Then finally the scary 2 pack lacquer.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]69369[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]69370[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]69371[/ATTACH]

i had a car cover like that on a previous car and i stitched some velcro onto the sides, then stuck the opposing bit of velcro under the sill on car, so you couldn't see it, then it stopped the sides flapping about

I've got six of this style of 8v wheel, so I'm refurbing 2 at a time to keep the car on wheels, so far I've rubbed down filled with alloy repair, primed and flatted down twice, they're looking good so far and I'm hoping to spray the VW spec silver basecoat on Saturday. Then finally the scary 2 pack lacquer.

Hmm I have in my garage 2x of these alloys which I am unsure what to do with them. They defo need a refurb + one got a chunk of rim missing. I am unsure if these can be fixed. But I have no real use for them... Can send you pics if you are interested (and most likely can give away them for free).. who knows maybe you could make a "good" set out of them. Let me know if you are interested.

Good price on the cover David and the job on the wheels looks thorough.

On a side note, your picture looks like you're on the way to an Altern 8 gig.

Base coated and then clear coated the wheels this weekend, pleased with the results, 2k lacquer is the business, nasty stuff but dries to such a lovely finish

[ATTACH=CONFIG]69435[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]69439[/ATTACH]

Few specs of dust/fibres in the lacquer which is pretty much unavoidable doing it in a garage but they did come out ok, if you get really close a few sanding marks are visible but you've got to have your nose up against the wheel and it's all experience, you can never prime and flat too much that's for sure!

I enjoy doing stuff myself but I can totally see the cost of professional wheel refurbs is justified, tbh I'm surprised anyone makes a living out of it given the kit and work required.

As usual I get side-tracked by totally unimportant fiddling around but I might as well share.

After borrowing the old-man's A6 again recently I started to get a bit jealous that you can actually see things in the cockpit at night, so I thought I'd have a go at adding a few LED's about the place.

The air vents are a bit tricky, I have an A6 vent with the illuminated thumb wheel but there's no way of fitting the wheel really as the mechanism is totally different to the Corrado one, shame as they look really smart, I think the Bora has something similar. I have one mini 12v red LED behind the dash centre trim where the thumb wheel sticks out and you can see the bottom of the wheel, just, at night, but I need to experiment more there.

The door pulls seemed like a better bet, I bought 10 standard and 10 mini 12v LED's off ebay a while back, complete with little surface mount clips, one is already in the centre console bin (which is empty on the 8v) and has been really handy, sanding the dome of the LED makes a nice even red glow instead of a focussed beam, so I thought I'd try a mini one in the door lever.

unfortunately there's no 12v feed that is permanent into the doors, the electric window and mirror switches are only ignition on live.[ATTACH=CONFIG]71161[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]71162[/ATTACH]

so I had to run a new feed from the main dash, I used the same point on the ash-tray illumination that I used for the LED in the centre console bin

[ATTACH=CONFIG]71170[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]71171[/ATTACH]

I then ran it with the existing loom up to the door mirror connection block and then along to the handle position

[ATTACH=CONFIG]71169[/ATTACH]

with the door release lever surround out of the car I drilled a small hole for the led mounting clip

[ATTACH=CONFIG]71158[/ATTACH]

here's the mini 12v LED and mounting clip

[ATTACH=CONFIG]71159[/ATTACH]

and in position, almost flush mounted and then clipped onto the door skin

[ATTACH=CONFIG]71160[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]71166[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]71165[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]71168[/ATTACH]

only short wire on the LED, so soldered to new length of wire and heat-shrink-tubed

[ATTACH=CONFIG]71163[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]71164[/ATTACH]

the final result at night, and it dims with the dash dimmer nicely too, just need a small delay unit now, perhaps an old centre light unit to keep the illumination on for a minute after the sidelights are switched off.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]71175[/ATTACH]

I've also added another LED to the top surface of the passenger under dash tray, again slightly sanded to disperse the light, so there's a nice soft red glow under the dash so you can see what's on the shelf :)

Edited by davidwort

Nice little mod for the new year list methinks. My heater illumination expired recently, and I have a rattle behind the passenger door card, so I may as well do this at the same time.

Thanks for the guide.

Good clean inside and out this weekend, first opportunity after the grotty weather, passenger mirror has been refusing to go up and down so I took it to bits.

my god, vw used the most ridiculously complex little unit for the mirrors, I've always wondered why the drivers mirror clicks when you move the passenger one, now I know.

instead of using two motors, vw bought in a unit made by a Dutch firm that uses a single motor and an electro magnet with two sets of tiny complex gears to engage different drive gears for up and down and left to right. Both left and right mirror solenoids are energised at the same time from the same feed on the mirror switch (white one) when you move the switch up or down.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]72055[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]72056[/ATTACH]

I thought tracing the feed was going to be a nightmare, after working out what feeds did what on the driver mirror and the switch I then discovered the solenoid feed wasn't reaching the passenger side.

Preparing for a long wiring trace problem, I took the under trays out and on the drivers side immediately saw this:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]72057[/ATTACH]

The white solenoid feed is chopped in half, can only be related to all the messing about with the wiring down here for the aftermarket alarm and immobiliser, I probably snapped it myself when removing the alarm crap.

still, happy bunny now as soldered up and the mirror works fine again!

what really made me chuckle was google goggles is set to scan the photos off my phone automatically and I got a notification saying the above pic was a mk3 golf fuse box!!! How clever is that!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]72062[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]72063[/ATTACH]

Edited by davidwort

Finally gettng around to sorting out the valver, been off the road for a little while so in need of some TLC

New rear engine mount, as I'd pinched the old one for running the 8v

syphoned old fuel out and put a couple of gallons of fresh in

changed brake fluid

re-tumbled driver's door lock, I now have one key for the whole car, first time in 17 years!

hope to fire her up and MOT in a week or so

[ATTACH=CONFIG]75309[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]75310[/ATTACH]

Hey - good to hear you're getting the valver back on the road David! Presumably it fired right up without any problems? :)