Jim

The "what I did to my Corrado today" thread...

Fitted new Febi hydro mounts & gearbox mount + new oe centre exhaust box & exhaust hangers today to my 92 G60. Got rid of a vibration at tickover & 3000 rpm that it had since the rear hydro mount was replaced a couple of years ago with a solid rubber one. How much nicer it is especially at motorway speeds -- 70mph = approx 3000 rpm, no more double vision in the rear view mirror. RESULT

Another year of MOT. No advisories :dance:although it did initially fail on a leaking fuel line caused by a previous owner using the wrong type of clip on it (fixed by the garage for free and retested). They know the car well as I always use the same garage for any work and they commented on just how nice it was underneath.

I spent most of last year using it as a daily after my Golf GTI died, although I barely drive 3k a year. But for the last few months I've not driven it at all. It's been sat unused in my garage while I was using an inherited Peugeot 206 diesel. I've kind of got attached to the Peugeot as it's so cheap to run, was free, and I can park it anywhere without worrying about it. But getting back into the Corrado was like driving a precision instrument compared to it. I was genuinely surprised how much faster and well built the Corrado felt as it's now 25 years old.

I had a huuuuuge smile on my face driving it there yesterday and collecting it today. I just checked when I bought the car and I've now owned it for eight years. I was shocked to realise how long it's been.

Potent, I know where you are coming from, I drive a Mercedes auto van, very nice. The Corrado is a different world and not because it’s not a van. I think the van is better than the wife’s new beetle and the Corrado is better than both although over 20 year older than both. I can’t eait for weekends to have a drive.

Another year of MOT. No advisories :dance:although it did initially fail on a leaking fuel line caused by a previous owner using the wrong type of clip on it (fixed by the garage for free and retested). They know the car well as I always use the same garage for any work and they commented on just how nice it was underneath.

I spent most of last year using it as a daily after my Golf GTI died, although I barely drive 3k a year. But for the last few months I've not driven it at all. It's been sat unused in my garage while I was using an inherited Peugeot 206 diesel. I've kind of got attached to the Peugeot as it's so cheap to run, was free, and I can park it anywhere without worrying about it. But getting back into the Corrado was like driving a precision instrument compared to it. I was genuinely surprised how much faster and well built the Corrado felt as it's now 25 years old.

I had a huuuuuge smile on my face driving it there yesterday and collecting it today. I just checked when I bought the car and I've now owned it for eight years. I was shocked to realise how long it's been.

Great read mate. Well done in getting the years ticket on it

I probably am the last Corrado owner to get round to doing something about the headlamps, better late than never I suppose!

The lack of a decent looking loom on eBay etc got me thinking about making my own. I wanted something that was as near oem as possible and wouldn't be afraid of people seeing when at a car show etc.

This is what I came up with: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-19czHs8j1rbilMWYdM9BBCnahLFAJrY/view?usp=drivesdk

It's giving 14.25v at the lamp (on my car anyway). Not tried comparing with brightness of standard loom yet - only finished it this avo and it won't be dark 'till gone 10pm, but I'm sure it will make a difference.

What do you guys recon?

I probably am the last Corrado owner to get round to doing something about the headlamps, better late than never I suppose!

The lack of a decent looking loom on eBay etc got me thinking about making my own. I wanted something that was as near oem as possible and wouldn't be afraid of people seeing when at a car show etc.

This is what I came up with: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-19czHs8j1rbilMWYdM9BBCnahLFAJrY/view?usp=drivesdk

It's giving 14.25v at the lamp (on my car anyway). Not tried comparing with brightness of standard loom yet - only finished it this avo and it won't be dark 'till gone 10pm, but I'm sure it will make a difference.

What do you guys recon?

Just looked at it, looks fantastic. The OE look and professional. You should make more

Finally got to do some bits with the Corrado this week. Apart from the purchase of a set of alloys, I got to clean and seal them ready for another day.

The Schrick I bought, I finally got to refit after having it media blasted!! I asked for vapour blasting but he said this would be better.. It certainly brought it back but I have clear lacquered it to stop dirt on the raw surface. I detailed the SCHRICK lettering in black just to help it stand out. Now to sort the ancillaries out.

Painted the original plastic Vr6 engine top cover and that looks great. I even started the car and let it get warm, small steps give such pleasure

Amazing what a couple of days off can achieve

SHAME I can't post any pictures.....

Well it was last week, but I managed to get the old exhaust replaced with a new OE type one from Germany.

I suspect it was either for a 16v or a non-Cat G60 as it needed some TLC with an angle grinder and the addition of an exhaust clamp to actually make it fit....

However, with rear passengers, it still runs on the rear beam so needs a little more investigation!

Probably just put it away for the winter. Tax runs out end of the month and the weather’s forecast wet after today so guess that’s it.

Plans for the winter include Teves 20 install, brake callipers refurb and build an extension.......which may result in lack of budget for anything much Corrado related. Back on the road 1st April.

Not today, but yesterday - fitted a 1A in line cartridge fuse to the illumination earth wire from the headlight switch to prevent a faulty switch from starting a dash fire. Nice to have peace of mind now, and a really easy fix - would be a shame to have the Corrado to be lost to a preventable fire after all the blood, sweat and tears.

After nearly 5 years of running the R32 I finally got a proper downpipe made for it and a decat. Turns out my 'sports cat' was straight through anyway. Didn't opt for a full system although on the way home I wish I had, BAS**** thing was blowing like crazy on the way home so time to jack it up and reseal it all tonight and hopefully it will play nice.

Decided to clean the contacts on a switch of the recaro seat. Big mistake as I lost 2 of the very important insulated inner parts. Ahhhh. Oh well, a cut up yoghurt pot later and the identical part was reproduced and I have a fully working switch again. Oh a Wet Sunday afternoon at home.

Taken the dash out......again!

First time was when I fitted the Climatronic, second time was for the OBD2, this time it's Teves 20 ABS. No plans to ever do it again!

My Corrado has been parked up for nearly two years, passenger floor pan and jacking point is shot. Found some inspiration over Christmas and decided to get it mechanically sorted which would force me to get it welded. Stripped the front down, sorted the wiring, fixed some corroded connections, cleaned the engine up. Need a new alternator and radiator but other than that, getting ready to out it back together. Did the front brakes a few weeks ago, so will focus on the back next. Shame I can't post pics!

Found a pool of water in the passenger footwell. Could be end of corrado time 😞

Got towed home by the AXA recovery dude - luckily only 10 mins drive from my house.

Engine cut out coming down the outside lane of a particularly fast slip road off our orbital "motorway"  on my way home from work, and would not start again, starter engages, seems to catch but won't fire up, could be fuel problem I guess, but haven't had a chance to look yet as it's too dark and cold now. A nice chap in another near vintage car pulled over and stopped the traffic so we could move the VR to the off side hard shoulder to wait. No-one else was stopping, but he said he could empathise as he'd been in the same boat plenty of times. Kudos.

And to top it all  off the recovery driver was the same guy who helped out two years ago when a coolant hose burst! Recognised the car immediately.

Ah well, at least it has been a relatively trouble free daily for two years - I wish.

Edited by fendervg

Nightmare rescue have saved me a couple of times as well ! Have you got a fault reader ? Got any codes coming up ? 

Hi, unfortunately due to my job becoming more demanding and a house move I’ve not had chance to do much with the G60.

however During the last year I did manage to get the engine 95% finished, and have had all the glass installed including a brand new screen thanks to old School windscreens in Longcross Surrey 😀 hopefully this year will be the year to get it finished lol 😂 

418ECE88-8C50-4F51-95C0-4DDA5E5E4DCE.jpeg

262F2D8F-6F0E-430E-9340-BD3F0392DD05.jpeg

9 minutes ago, Keyo said:

Nightmare rescue have saved me a couple of times as well ! Have you got a fault reader ? Got any codes coming up ? 

Yeah, I have VCDS and the 2x2 cable, so will hook it up tomorrow to check.