Jim Bowen

Jim Bowen Corrado VR6 - New engine build

Superb work Jim, I've got hopes to do a lot of the stuff you have done, if I get it half as good as yours I'll be delighted.

Looking forward to the brake pipe pics as I've also got the teves20 to do :)

Cheers, car is by no way mint condition nor as nice as others on here, but has got about 224,000miles on it now. Made the decision to keep it so just wanting to sort out mechanicals and stop any rust for now, Really needs a complete respray at some point. In hindsight i could of stripped it to a shell had it painted and rebuilt it, but couldn't afford the extra £2k+

Am hoping the underside and internal faces of bodywork are sorted out now, so in the future i can just get a simple external respray.

Cheers, just looking back and nearly been a year so far. Going to try and have it done in the next 2 months.

Finished making all the brake pipes now

20150520_205329.jpg

20150520_205342.jpg

Was a bit of pain getting the rear lines done, hence some are a bit wobbly, the one sticking up in the air is for the front passenger brake, just stuck it out the way for now

20150520_205213.jpg

Stuck other heatshield on and now ready to stick exhaust, fuel tank and axle on. Should do it this weekend

20150520_205310.jpg

Put the exhaust and tank on today. Should get the axle on tomorrow and have it rolling again so can finally fit the engine

20150523_173107.jpg

Great work there :thumbleft:

Real dedication, look forward to seeing the car finished :)

I'm certainly looking forward to driving it again.

Managed to fit my rear beam on my own today, the lifting beam for the jack worked perfectly

20150524_150454.jpg

20150524_161023.jpg

20150524_161034.jpg

20150524_161053.jpg

20150524_173105.jpg

Lovely work, hope you don't get the urge to sell it once it's all done.

Like many builds go after so much work has gone into them.

I'll be keeping it. Never like selling things and its the first car I've ever worked on so would like to keep it.

Good work, it's so satisfying to see everything clean and fresh isn't it. It looks fantastic and the devil is in the detail.

Coming on well Jim , are those new disc guards or have you had them coated , I don't remember seeing them in your posts . If they are new , where did you get them ? .

wow well done mate, that looks stunning! i wish i had the time to do my rear axle. might make that a job for a years time

Thanks for all the good comments. Its kept me busy for a while. Will be strange when it done and not having a mammoth about of work to think about doing.

They are new brake guards. Bought them on eBay a long time ago but never got round to fitting them. Quite a lot of the parts I've bought over the years have been parts someone else bought and never fitted. Like the timing chain kit and arp bolts.

Tank straps were also bought from someone on here already blasted and coated but not fitted. Had them a few years.

Managed to get the rear discs and bearing fitted today. Which meant i could put the wheels back on. I buggered a thread on one rear caliper carrier so couldn't fit them yet.

20150525_182135.jpg

Nothing interesting or shiny to report! Decided to take the stonechip off the sills, just want to get rid of any rust and this seemed a good idea at the time.

Took stone chip off with a chisel, also took the rub strip off as found rust on the front edge of door and the bottom edge (thinking i might take the doors off) Not sure how easy that is?

20150530_180330.jpg

Found a hard patch^^^^ and turned out to be filler.

20150530_173417.jpg

Sanded through it, took ages by hand

20150530_180341.jpg

20150531_121244.jpg

Turned out to be a tiny dent, i think it had been repaired years ago and someone used filler to make up the level of the stonechip

20150531_130845.jpg

20150531_201038.jpg

Rust at the front edge, i did have a mate weld this for free about 2-3yrs ago, but it wasn't very good and rusted out already.

20150531_201116_1.jpg

20150531_201101_1.jpg

Took wing off again

20150602_194606.jpg

Rust hole!!

20150602_194626.jpg

Got a repair section this time so going to have it repaired properly.

20150602_194933.jpg

Panel is massive, not bad for about £40

20150602_194948.jpg

That's exactly where I've found a hole on mine, not got the door or wing off yet though, great work as always 8)

I think the cause of the rust is the water coming off scuttle tray and then runs into the inner wing through a pipe. Both sides on mine are like it, in fact the other side was much worse but i've not got there yet so expecting to have to cut quite a bit of metal out.

good stuff! , its fairly easy to remove the door , once all the electrical plugs have been disconnected and vacum hose pulled off from door lock actuator thingy mo jig then you could try and pull the wires etc through and out the door but i just had an extra pair of hands and pulled the door way from the shell {once hinge bolts and check strap have been undone} whilst carefully pulling the wires out, P.s Doors are pretty weighty for what they are

Cheers, its all starting to come together, the welding will hold me up a bit but would rather wait then get it bodged.

Got the rear bumper bar and brackets done in the plasticoat

20150607_202945.jpg

Chopped out and started cleaning the rust up on the sill, will have to do the other side as well, think its going to be a bigger hole.

20150607_203003.jpg