Supercharged

Rain-X Glass Cleaner

Been using Rain-X for years - mainly as a solution before the Aero Wiper mod but they have now brought out a combined glass cleaner / wax which is a lot easier to apply and seems to last just as well - i.e. 2-3 weeks!

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... yId_165568

It's on 3 for 2 at the moment and you get 20% off for trade, they also do a box where you get some anti fog wipes for the interior glass for a quid more which is well worth it!

It really is superb stuff, I'm not getting any frost at the moment and no fog on the insides - my 5 year old Lupo wiper blades no longer judder and i've also used this on the headlight protectors, number plates and mirrors to stop dirt sticking!

Love Rain-X... Been using it since the days of Air-cooled... (and you thought Rado wipers were bad! )

Gotta laugh at the looks from your passenger as you drive down rain-soaked roads with the wipers off!

Found treating the screens to 2-3 layers of Original Rain-X lasted a good couple months... Longer on unswept areas

Rain-x used to do a bottle that was split down the middle, one half was the cleaning solution, the other was the rain repellent, which did seem to work better than using normal glass cleaner and then rain-x, haven't seen it like that for a few years though.

I still find the Star Trek warp effect it creates a little distracting though :lol:

I still find the Star Trek warp effect it creates a little distracting though :lol:

So I'm not the only one then! :clap:

:dorky:No :lol:

My brother once tried it on his Jago jeep, but had to remove it as the droplets of water would just jiggle around in the middle of the screen as it was completely vertical so the wind just moved it around :lol:

Been using this stuff for the last two weeks and it is very good and the wipes. Wife can't get used to the trace effect though. Still get frost though and misting. :scratch:

Gotta laugh at the looks from your passenger as you drive down rain-soaked roads with the wipers off!

:lol: yep! it never gets old!

i've almost had some potentially pretty serious crashes cos of that! :shock:

I haven't used Rain-X, but there is an alternative in the market made by Carlack.

http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/engine-amp-exterior/carlack-glass-sealing-kit/prod_348.html

It's called the Glass Sealing Kit, and is basically two bottles, one a cleaner, the other a sealer. A mate of mine who uses Rain-X couldn't believe the results I get from using it. At £12.95 though it is a bit more expensive (that said it lasts for ages).

robbie_d - agreed the Carlack is better than Rain-X. I had been using Rain X for about 10 years but would not go back to it since using Carlack.

Not that Rain X isn't good, its very good, its just that Carlack is even better - and less frequent re-applications is a bonus

Just bumping this....

Drove to Jims the other week for the Stealth RR day and it rained heavily all the way there and back - only used the wipers a few times, awesome stuff!

I've just applied GTechniq G4 - by a country mile the best glass water repellant I have ever used, three coats will last 30,000 miles and he beading is so tight that its virtually invisible - in torrential rain last Saturday night I did not have to touch the wipers for the entire 70 mile journey

I've just applied GTechniq G4 - by a country mile the best glass water repellant I have ever used, three coats will last 30,000 miles and he beading is so tight that its virtually invisible - in torrential rain last Saturday night I did not have to touch the wipers for the entire 70 mile journey

where do you get that from mate.

Heres the link to their shop - all of their stuff is amazing - you pay for the quality as opposed to the quantity you get. The 15ml I got was enough to give the windscreen 3 coats, the rear window 2 coats and the side windows one coat, still got about 1/3 left

http://www.gtechniq.com/shop/

You do have to apply it quite carefully, ie do it exactly as per the instructions. I used the cleaner as supplied in the kit and followed the instructions and have been totally amazed at the results.

As an added bonus ice might still form but a slight nudge and it will just slide off

Thread resurrection time.

Went to my local 99p store the other day to get some bungie ropes, and while I was there I noticed some bottles of rain repellent spray called mean machine Rain Away, so I thought it would be worth a try for the price, and it seems to work brilliantly, don't know how long it will last but it seems to be better at keeping the ice from sticking than rain x and seems to bead off very well.

It also says it's suitable for plastic motor cycle visors or glasses which rain x isnt.

Well worth a try if you don't want to spend 5 quid on rain x.

Re-applied the RainX last night, been using it for the last few months and it's been excellent. Can you use it on the body work? Or is there sometiong like it that would keep the car clean?

Re-applied the RainX last night, been using it for the last few months and it's been excellent. Can you use it on the body work? Or is there sometiong like it that would keep the car clean?

Nah - not on Paint - you just need a good wax like Dodo juice...

I do use rain X on all the lights and numberplates though - seems to make things stay clean for longer!

I use the rain x but it seems to wear off too fast and if you want your paint to bean up a couple of goins over with collonite wax is ace the car looks ace with all the little beads everywere

I am of the understanding that if you use it on the inside glass it also stops it fogging up and if you use it through the winter (on the outside) the glass wont get ice on it. I presume the latter is only true to a point.

while Rain X is not bad, i did find that it scatter the light a lot at night, particularly street lighting, and at low speed there is not enough airflow to remove the rain, so you end up using the wipers. Unless i didnt apply it properly.....

I've given up bothering to use it on the car, don't like the effects much, I'm using the rest of the bottle on the house windows, seems to last much longer on there as there's less abrasion and it stops the dirt in the rain drying on the glass.