fla

Aqua blue pearl VR - p.34 bonnet cable repair

That is a ball ache of a job with no easy solution apart from effort.

Well done in tackling it as they always look great when re-foamed

Good shout on removing the bonnet, might look at doing that.

Thanks Cressa, hopefully it'll be worth it! Any suggestions on adhesive to use? Ive got some Trim Fix spray as well as 3M double sided tape.

Hasan

Oof tough job, and one I have been putting off as well. I would suggest that, from my experience, white spirit isn't really up to the job of cleaning adhesives. I have tended to find that cellulose paint thinners do a pretty decent job at removing sticky gunk. Not found anything that does it better.

Obviously it's not pleasant stuff so use in well ventilated area, wear gloves... etc... but it's always the nastiest stuff that works the best! Bit of a soak in that should dissolve it nicely to scrape off. Will still require a fair bit of work, but might be easier than the with the white spirit.

Edited by oneohtwo

Car's on the drive atm although the sun hits it from about 2pm to 7pm.

@oneohtwowould the thinners be ok on bonnet paint? Would want to have to respray it!

@MJA have you had any success with a steamer? Would be interested in your thoughts. I've got one of those cheapo handheld steamers so will give that a try too

Thanks 

Hasan

Edited by fla

I haven't used it for this job but the steamer has been great at removing adhesive from DIY jobs around the house and also gets all the grime and factory wax out of the engine bay. 

I used glue and tar spot remover, still a gooey and horrible job. Left it off after I’d had the car painted though, didn’t want to ruin the shiny under bonnet!

4 hours ago, fla said:

Car's on the drive atm although the sun hits it from about 2pm to 7pm.

@oneohtwowould the thinners be ok on bonnet paint? Would want to have to respray it!

@MJA have you had any success with a steamer? Would be interested in your thoughts. I've got one of those cheapo handheld steamers so will give that a try too

Thanks 

Hasan

I found it to be ok - I used it to remove the sticky stuff from the black bump strips along the side of the car and the paint was fine after. I think as long as you wash it off pretty quickly it should be OK, but as ever - I'd try a small area first and see, always a risk it might do something odd.

3 hours ago, tonedef said:

I used glue and tar spot remover, still a gooey and horrible job. Left it off after I’d had the car painted though, didn’t want to ruin the shiny under bonnet!

i'm also almost in two minds to leave the adhesive pads off and clip on some under bonnet deadening like most other cars have nowadays.  It wont fit the bonnet profile too accurately though so there's that aesthetic consideration..i've got a large piece from a BMW (i think) in the garage

Well the windscreen leak on mine meant that the soundproofing was soaked. Id made up some new pads with some mlv and closed/open cell foam. 

Decided to make up another foam piece to cover the raised profile in the rear and then stick the mlv on top. Just cut roughly with scissors but in the summer I'll do the other side properly with a knife.

Carpet needs a good clean,, but again needs some nice weather to allow it to dry properly. The blue trim on the rear carpet piece ran and made a nice bluish green tracing on the edge. I hope it comes out..

20230121_135417.jpg

20230121_140043.jpg

20230121_140214.jpg

20230121_140653.jpg

20230121_141434.jpg

Wow, a while since i did an update! Removed the dash to do the heater diverter flap. The wiring is a real mess, and the diavia install had wires coming in front of and behind the metal supports. Great. Needed to cut them off and they'll then be resoldered.

Anyway, I was thinking of simply rewrapping the looms with tesa tape, but my noise obsession tells me that these may still create a chafing noise in the dash. A lot of the foam tubes have crumbled so it needs redoing. What have you done which ended up being nice and silent? I will also be lining the inside of the dash and centre console with felt.

Thanks

Hasan

20230408_184637.jpg

20230408_184643.jpg

20230408_184658.jpg

The Diavia "fitters" (they weren't technicians for sure!) must have been on piece work.....

you're not wrong Dox!.  Its really surprising how awkwardly it has been done.  I would love to have a loom that just slots into place - you'll never see it but just knowing its been done properly is good enough for me.  A bit like wearing stainless steel collar bones as opposed to plastic ones...

They must have taken the dashboard out so why such a cobble up god only knows, unless it was a team effort, one does his bit, on to the next, then the next.

YEEEHHHHHAAAAA! 

Diavia aka, Buffalo Bill and Wyatt Earp!

its not actually too difficult. there are only a handful of screws holding the dash in place, and most of us are pretty experienced in removing the dash and centre console, this is just a little more involved.  Excellent guide from Goldfinger highlighted the sneaky screws and you just need a bit of care to remove it.  

I've now got to take out the heater box as i might as well do the heater matrix as a preventative measure now that the dash is out.  

One source of noise i've seen is the cables running under the insulation on the top of the bulkhead.  Insulation will need to be removed, felt underneath, cables on top and then felt back again. 

25 minutes ago, fla said:

its not actually too difficult. there are only a handful of screws holding the dash in place, and most of us are pretty experienced in removing the dash and centre console, this is just a little more involved.  Excellent guide from Goldfinger highlighted the sneaky screws and you just need a bit of care to remove it.  

I've now got to take out the heater box as i might as well do the heater matrix as a preventative measure now that the dash is out.  

One source of noise i've seen is the cables running under the insulation on the top of the bulkhead.  Insulation will need to be removed, felt underneath, cables on top and then felt back again. 

From what I’ve read the matrix is different to the no A/C type.

once I removed the air box from the shell it snapped in half, might be worth bracing it if you can?

Ooo the aircon heater box.... I have plenty of pictures of that damned thing opened up. And alot of debris gets caught in there too. I made the decision to replace the aircon matrix at the time and Hell that was a journey.... for something that is obsolete. 

Good luck with what you decide, but happy to give the info of what I used to replace mine  😫👍

Good to see that you're still working on it Hassan! The sound improvement ideas you have are really good ones. Good luck with your continuation! Cheers 

8 hours ago, Dox said:

From what I’ve read the matrix is different to the no A/C type.

once I removed the air box from the shell it snapped in half, might be worth bracing it if you can?

Did it snap along the join, or across? I hope not the latter!

5 hours ago, Cressa said:

Ooo the aircon heater box.... I have plenty of pictures of that damned thing opened up. And alot of debris gets caught in there too. I made the decision to replace the aircon matrix at the time and Hell that was a journey.... for something that is obsolete. 

Good luck with what you decide, but happy to give the info of what I used to replace mine  😫👍

That would be great. Do you have any pics you could email me perhaps? I'll DM you my email address

4 hours ago, ABV-VR6 said:

Good to see that you're still working on it Hassan! The sound improvement ideas you have are really good ones. Good luck with your continuation! Cheers 

Thanks JF. It'll never be anything like yours though!

It's the passion that maters! And you're doing an excellent job with it mate. Cheers 

Mine cracked vertically, fan housing is riveted to the air box, Alloy just snapped

Mine was riveted and glued. I had to cut down the sides with a Stanley blade and drill the rivets out 😳