Toad

Music thread...

slayer were nothing special tho

WHA?!! I've seen them 3 times and every time they were AMAZING!!

Mastodon/Mammoth ...

Although Mastodon have done a piss take metal songs, its brilliant ... Cut You Up With a Linoleum Knife ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Vf3VzVbrXU

Dont get me wrong they were good but nothing special, bit to old school for my liking

[GASP!!] ... each to their own ... but **** me mate ... this is Slayer we're talking about!! They're the daddies!!

You a Pantera fan?

Haha I do love raining blood tho 8)

Ya Pantera are good also I love Sepultura

One of my fav bands 8) In desperate need of some new material- come on Boards of Canada- pull yer fingers out!

If this was Facebook I would 'like' this. Several times. :)

Lol, I was doing a search about 15-20mins ago on Limewire for a song that came into my head randomly from yrs ago - Firefly by InMe. Didn't have it on Limewire, but looking through the results came across 'Firefly' by an artist called 'Corrado', with an album self titled!

Thought may as well give it a listen, and actually quite liking it!! It sounds to me like kinda blues/rock!

Normally I have to listen to things a few times to get into it, but Im lovin' this from the offset! Maybe I am a little biased, tho :wink:

Now this video is seriously f*cked up...about halfway thru you'll realise why, but try to stick with it till the end. Quite a good social commentary about prejudice, genocide etc...

Its been hidden by YouTube for obvious reasons.

[youtube:15f498bx]VE9rUHDXRFI[/youtube:15f498bx]

ps - apologies if anyone like those in the video are offended.

Something controversial here.

and now....................................

Wonderwall (good - honest!) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xx7XMOTbo20

Big bands are great, though. These grow on you. :wink: Great songs, too, from 80s and 90s.

Can't stop playing the album I got a few months ago. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3yYqtBXh ... re=related

Soundgarden's Black Hole Sun has awesome orchestral arrangement.

The comments by the irritated Cobain groupies on youtube are so predictable.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fuTbB-d12A0&feature=fvw

When I was 12 :ignore: This guy was hotter than Elvis. Diana was No1 for weeks. That sax riff emanated from tenement windows everywhere :lol: I think he was about 17. Canadian/Italian. Great writer - wrote "My Way" for Sinatra.

Caught the boy performing this on Friday night's Later... and it was supreme 8) :

[youtube:324vszxu]

[/youtube:324vszxu]

Hilltop Hoods, ear-meltingly good Auzzie hip hop. Happy fun bouncy tunes and they don't rap about b*tches, guns and cash. Love these guys, got all their albums. :notworthy:

[youtube:2oqryt5n]bSFT2OKcdk0[/youtube:2oqryt5n]

Anyone heard the baseballs. They were on Scott Mills and the missus told us about them. German band who sing modern pop songs in 50's style. V. Good :clap: :clap:

If you like that sort of thing

I'm gunna get pop now... sorry

seen

loads in snotland and she's great live

And a little Frou Frou for you too :)

Very nice, Alex - like them a lot!

Fragile, delicate sounding females, who may also write outstanding songs were epitomised a long time ago by the incredibly talented Janis Ian.

Bound to recognise "At Seventeen" - Sums up teenage angst in a masterpiece.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ClgfwBMsB1w

WIKI

Music career

At the age of thirteen, Ian wrote and sang her first hit single, "Society's Child (Baby I've Been Thinking)," about an interracial romance forbidden by a girl's mother and frowned upon by her peers and teachers: the girl ultimately decides to end the relationship, claiming the societal norms of the day have left her no other choice. Produced by George "Shadow" Morton and released three times between 1965 and 1967, "Society's Child" finally became a national hit on its third release, after Leonard Bernstein featured it in a TV special titled Inside Pop: The Rock Revolution.[2] The song's lyrical content was taboo for some radio stations, and they withdrew or banned it from their playlists accordingly; in her 2008 autobiography Society's Child, Ian recalls receiving hate mail and death threats as a response to the song, and mentions that a radio station in Atlanta that played it was burned down. In the summer of 1967, "Society's Child" reached #14 on the Billboard Hot 100.

Apparently "Society's Child" was too hot for Atlantic Records as well at the time. Ian relates on her website that, although the song was originally intended for Atlantic and the label paid for her recording session, the label subsequently returned the master to her and quietly refused to release it. Years later, Ian says, Atlantic's president at the time, Jerry Wexler, publicly apologized to her for this. The single and Ian's 1967 eponymous debut album were finally released on Verve Forecast; her album was also a hit, reaching #12. In 2001, "Society's Child" was inducted into the Grammy Hall of Fame, which honors recordings considered timeless and important to music history.

Her early music was compiled on a double CD entitled Society's Child: The Verve Recordings in 1995. Many of these songs are extremely sad; a common theme is feeling badly treated by one's parents.

Her most successful single in the United States was "At Seventeen," released in 1975, a bittersweet commentary on adolescent cruelty, the illusion of popularity, and teenage angst, as reflected upon from the maturity of adulthood. "At Seventeen" was a smash, receiving tremendous acclaim from critics and record buyers alike — it charted at #3 on the Billboard Hot 100 and hit #1 on the Adult Contemporary chart. It won the 1975 Grammy Award for Best Pop Vocal Performance - Female beating out Linda Ronstadt, who was nominated for her Heart Like a Wheel album; Olivia Newton-John; and Helen Reddy. Ian performed "At Seventeen" as a musical guest on the debut of Saturday Night Live on October 11, 1975. The song's album, Between the Lines, was also a smash and hit #1 on Billboard's Album chart. It was quickly certified Gold and later earned a 'Platinum' certification for sales of over one million copies sold in the US. Another measure of her success is anecdotal: on Valentine's Day 1977, Ian received 461 Valentine cards, having indicated in the lyrics to "At Seventeen" that she never received any as a teenager.[4]

Fragile, delicate sounding females, who may also write outstanding songs were epitomised a long time ago by the incredibly talented Janis Ian.

Bound to recognise "At Seventeen" - Sums up teenage angst in a masterpiece.

showing your age there Craig!

Fantastic artist Janis Ian, surprisingly influential on loads of modern folk and soul artists although you don't hear much of her nowadays.

good choice! :thumbleft:

got another one for ya... a little obscure now...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UcpdKJq-HNQ

a psychedelic folk band formed in Scotland in 1965 that went by the name of "The Incredible String Band"

thoughts? :camp:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Incredible_String_Band

I was 20 in 1965, so know of them. Fairport Convention and Pentangle were other great UK bands in the genre.

Never bought any records by any of them, but an older couple we had round for drinks on Saturday night were overwhelmed when I hauled out four vinyl LPs (one of 'em Mono) of their favourites, the Corries.

Didnt have the heart to tell 'em I went right off them about forty years ago! Good instrumentalists, though.

A lady from Edinburgh that worked for me some years ago was a neighbour of Robin Williamson of The Incredible String Band.

Next door to me here in Linlithgow, former neighbours knew guitarist Davy Graham.

Not a fan of novelty/humerous songs like Hedgehog - I'd rather hear something that makes me cry into my beer :cry: .

Bonzo Dog Doo Dah Band, must be one of the greatest creations the UK/England has produced. Nothing less than them will do for me where humerous songs are concerned.

ok craig... got three for you today

a funny one -

a little one to keep us young'uns happy -

and a female vocalist for ya -

Bonzo Dog Doo Dah Band, must be one of the greatest creations the UK/England has produced. Nothing less than them will do for me where humerous songs are concerned.

Sweet essence of giraffe....

Love the Bonzos, my parents had the double vinyl History Of album, so all their best songs in one go. Neil Innes is a total legend and has done loads of cool stuff, but I think my favourite cameo of his is as Sir Robin's minstrel in Monty Python and the Holy Grail. When I was 18 I went to some working mans club in Mitcham as the drummer from the Bonzos (who seemed to be about 80 at the time) was playing with his band. Me and my girlfriend were the youngest people in there by about 25 years! And yes, he did play Urban Spaceman and Tigers. Epic win :salute:

Today, I have been mostly listening to How To Destroy Angels 8)

That is all.

Delicious cake.

Bought Enemy of the World by Four Year Strong today, sounds alright so far...

Hot Chip, I feel better is amazing too.

Edit, here's the How to Destroy Angels video... Is quite disturbing at the end though.

[youtube:mfnqbp5o]nWbfgGDl6XE[/youtube:mfnqbp5o]

Sweet essence of giraffe....

Love the Bonzos, my parents had the double vinyl History Of album, so all their best songs in one go. Neil Innes is a total legend and has done loads of cool stuff, but I think my favourite cameo of his is as Sir Robin's minstrel in Monty Python and the Holy Grail. When I was 18 I went to some working mans club in Mitcham as the drummer from the Bonzos (who seemed to be about 80 at the time) was playing with his band. Me and my girlfriend were the youngest people in there by about 25 years! And yes, he did play Urban Spaceman and Tigers. Epic win :salute:

There used to be a really rare, unreleased song on youtube by George Harrison called "Doing the Bonzo Dog" (with Legs Larry Smith of course :D) but it's since been pulled :(

At the moment i'm eagarly awaiting Tom Petty's new album release, called Mojo. Got 5 star reviews in the Sun and Independant today so looks promising. Appears ti be taking a more blusey/Led Zep feel this time but seems to work from what I've heard so far;