psiburr

Corrado Spotting! Was it you?

It's hard to tell why the Corrado has fared better in percentage terms than those cars. Maybe it's because they were built better or because their relatively poor sales meant they were always slightly more rare and so were less likely to fall into the hands of careless drivers looking for a cheap car. It could simply be that the use of the VW parts bin for the underpinnings many that parts were really available cheaply during its earlier years (not now) or that they were more sturdily built.

I think what is most telling though is the SORN pattern. It's not only steadily increasing but shows a clear seasonal step. The Fiat is showing this too but it is more pronounced with the Corrado. That is likely to be showing that more and more of them are falling into enthusiasts hands as second cars and being stored over winter rather than simply left to rot somewhere. I think the step rather than a linear pattern is important and interesting to watch over the next few years.

Edit: The Calibra and Probe are all but doomed over the next few years it looks.

Edited by Portent

Yeah, mine is currently SORN'd until spring, not entirely due to a pattern I follow, but a failed MOT and then deciding to take it off road and sort it out in slow time.

Yeah, mine is currently SORN'd until spring, not entirely due to a pattern I follow, but a failed MOT and then deciding to take it off road and sort it out in slow time.

And that says to me that the cars are in the hands of enthusiasts. If it were simply a cheap throwaway car then most people would scrap it if it needed work at this age and value. But you SORNed it to fix at a time the future. Not that any of this means the value of them will rise, but simply that in many cases they appear to be in the hands of people that care.

Saw a white Corrado on the A458 on the bridge across the river Severn in Bridgenorth on Friday 17/01/14 around 5pm ish.

Saw dark coloured corrado about 6.30 this evening at tesco roundabout in Banbury. I did wave but was in the worlds filthiest works van. Looked a nice corrado and the only other I have seen in Banbury.

One just before the one way system in porth town centre, south wales.

looked like Bordeaux pearl and crystal rear lights.

Anyone on here?

One just before the one way system in porth town centre, south wales.

looked like Bordeaux pearl and crystal rear lights.

Anyone on here?

Blackpool Tesco earlier in the week. Deep red, Bordeaux Pearl maybe, it did have a tow bar though. Didn't see who was driving and I was following in my Freelander so didn't flash or wave!

Lovely sounding dark C trying to get through the traffic by Villa Park. As tasty as the win over Cardiff. UTV

A black one? so long ago ha

Dark (black) Rado on car park at Wickes in Coventry last night at around 18:45.

I was in a company shed (white Fiesta van) buying floor tiles.

Tempest

Two in one day today!

First saw this rather angry-looking (and famous!) hand-painted 16v when collecting some wheels off the owner in Salisbury...

angry-corrado.jpg

Popped down to Southampton to visit an old uni friend, then later on I saw a dark, lowered one with a black rear VW badge and red engine model badge (possibly another 16v? it was dark...) on the Avenue just before the bottom of the M3. Would have flashed but I was in my loan car so you would probably have been quite confused! Reg J*** MRP. Anyone here?

Stone

Grey G-reg valver in saffron walden high street at about 11:50am today

Think I spotted that car as well. Did think it was you? Or was it you? Near the top of common.

Think I spotted that car as well. Did think it was you? Or was it you? Near the top of common.

I suspect that might have been me mate as I went up the side of the common then turned left down church street before spotting this as I was about to pull out onto the high street :)

Two in one day today!

First saw this rather angry-looking (and famous!) hand-painted 16v when collecting some wheels off the owner in Salisbury...

angry-corrado.jpg

Popped down to Southampton to visit an old uni friend, then later on I saw a dark, lowered one with a black rear VW badge and red engine model badge (possibly another 16v? it was dark...) on the Avenue just before the bottom of the M3. Would have flashed but I was in my loan car so you would probably have been quite confused! Reg J*** MRP. Anyone here?

Stone

I'm sure the purists hate this but I think it looks awesome! I have seen other VWs with this done and was only wondering this morning if anyone had done it to a rado, weird.

Two in one day today!

angry-corrado.jpg

Stone

I'm sure the purists hate this but I think it looks awesome! I have seen other VWs with this done and was only wondering this morning if anyone had done it to a rado, weird.

Saw a red 16v in Frankwell, Shrewsbury the other day

Driving out of Princes Risborough (Bucks) this afternoon spotted an N-reg blue Corrado parked up on the farm next to the house I grew up in - that caused a double take :)

08:30 am Today A47 then A11 Norwich - Thetford - very nice white Corrado driven by man in age +/- 50yrs.

reg - FRZ4035

Edited by karmannski