daves16v

Black Metallic VR - SOLD!

Finally collected my new VR yesterday from Macclesfield. It drove the 50 miles home very well and returned excellent fuel economy.

Apparently the car was owned by someone heavily involved with the CCGB since 2005.

Details -

94M Plate

Brilliant Black Metallic

168K miles

Bastuck Stainless exhaust

Induction kit

Lowered on eibach springs, std shocks

Aero wipers

It does have a few interior problems and some minor dents on the body, all easily fixable. It's in very good condition overall but does need a good clean inside and out.

The photos were taken about 10 mins after I got home so what you see is how I bought it. No doubt I'll find more problems as I fix others :lol:

My plan is to have it on the road by 1st May.

I now fully understand why VR owners rave-on about the noise :norty:

Edited by daves16v

Nice one Dave, cant beat a black VR but then again i'm biased! Any plans yet or just a tidy up?

AJ

Thanks for the comments.

Plans are to get all the problems sorted 1st then change engine oil, gearbox oil, thermostat, coolant change - all the usual service stuff.

The standard grill is back on already and hopefully today will put the standard airbox back on. I've gone over the car with a fine tooth comb and made a list of it's problems whether big or small. Needless to say it's a long list but I am quite fussy :lol:

As for mods, it's already got Eibach springs so will change the dampers too, wheels will come after that. That's about as far as I'm thinking at the moment, oh yeah I've got 288 calipers to go on as well, brakes are quite new so that'll be later.

Ta.

What induction kit does it have on it at the minute mate?

Are you going for standard VAG gearbox oil or going for something like Redline MT90? :)

What induction kit does it have on it at the minute mate?

Are you going for standard VAG gearbox oil or going for something like Redline MT90? :)

Not sure, it drops into the Carbon Can opening and has the cone underneath. I'll take a pic.

Redline MT90, did it on my valver and it got rid of a 1st gear crunch and smoothed the change slightly.

Cool.. Think I need to sort some Redline MT90 out for the valver too!

Looking forward to having a poke around this motor at some shows / meets later in the year :) Still miffed you beat me to it by a matter of days as well... lol :)

Still miffed you beat me to it by a matter of days as well... lol :)

:lol: Not intentional mate.

I'll be at Stanford Hall in the VR.

Good to see you've finally got it Dave, I was in Macc getting new tyres yesterday and passed a dark debadged front VR. Reckon it was probably you? Was near the Tesco's on the Leek Rd?

Either way, looked good!

Nice one Dave cant wait to see it, you coming to the AGM next weekend?

Matt, yeah probably was me, left the train station at 11.20 heading to Bollington. Left Bollington at 12.10 heading to Leek and onto Notts.

Kip, yeah will be at AGM but in the valver. VR will be ready 1st May hopefully so first show will be Stanford Hall.

Been very busy today working on the problems, started at 10.30 this morning finishing at 6.30 this evening. I did find some interesting 'fixes' done previously but nothing I can't fix with the forums help :)

Most of the problems have been with the interior but some under the bonnet. I found out it's had an uprated wiring loom however the wiring needed tidying up.

Aye be caefull with the wiring mate, i have nightmares about that stuff since nearly setting the 8v door alight :shock:

Aye be caefull with the wiring mate, i have nightmares about that stuff since nearly setting the 8v door alight :shock:

I think I'll get it checked out properly, it does look like it's been thrown in there.

Update - I've started the engine work tonight, going to change thermostat and housing + seals, crack pipe + seals, oil cooler pipes + seals and finally oil + filter change.

Luckily I've just got enough room to do it in my garage with the doors closed but I will roll it out a little when I get down to changing stuff.

Look closely at the crack pipe and tell me what you see :shock:

Nice work Dave! Cant believe anyone would think that'd work :cuckoo: hope it goes well for you.

I can't see clearly...? Is that a zip-tie?

Yep, at least 2, didn't look too closely it was late.

Hmmmm, looks like a bodge job some people here would do......

If I find anything like that on the valver you'll be fixing it :)

More work tonight -

For anyone interested there were 3 cable ties holding the pipe on.

Crack pipe is off but it broke and left part of it in the engine block outlet, had to pick it out carefully making sure I got all the pieces out - see pic.

Thermostat housing came off easier.

There is another part that connects the crack pipe to the housing which broke when I took it off - see pic. If I'd have known this was also a weak part I'd have bought a new item so be warned if you do this job. The part number in question is 021 121 133 D adapter.

The car is now back together and I'm pleased to say it's running with no leaks and the cooling system seems to be working ok. I changed the oil and filter aswell, I actually enjoyed working on the engine, I thought it was going to be more complicated.

Yesterday saw a top to bottom wash and polish and finishing off a few jobs ready for the road. Got to drive it about 4.30pm yesterday and immediately had a big grin on me face. Drove to work and back today with no problems so I'm a happy man.

I did find some paint issues when I was polishing so I'll tackle them at a later date. Next jobs will be fabricating a rear exhaust hanger as there is nothing there and then a gearbox oil change. The dash has some phone holder holes in it so a replacement dash is on the cards along with tidying up some old wiring.

I'll get some pics up when I get the chance, can't seem to get out of the driver seat :D

Great stuff Dave :)

The gearbox oil change on mine to the MT90 was worry every penny.. Feels like it took 30k off the box!