daves16v

Black Metallic VR - SOLD!

Good work Dave, looking forward to seeing it! Are you at Stanford Hall this coming sunday? Ian :D

Yep I'll be there probably from about 9.30-10.00. Do you want to convoy?

Good work Dave, looking forward to seeing it! Are you at Stanford Hall this coming sunday? Ian :D

Yes mate convoy sounds good, we were planning on getting there for 10.00. Where do you want to meet, somewhere just off jct 25 ??? Ian

Yes mate convoy sounds good, we were planning on getting there for 10.00. Where do you want to meet, somewhere just off jct 25 ??? Ian

Trowell services might be the best option, was thinking of starting a 'M1 from the north convoy' thread but maybe a bit late now as most will have made their plans probably.

I've never liked the phone holder holes in the dash so yesteday after work I decided to replace the dash, at the same time fix the fusebox that's hanging down and also tidy up the lights on beeper and the alarm wiring and see what's stopping the spoiler from raising.

Holy crap - the wiring is in a right mess around the fusebox area which is where the alarm is located and the lights on beeper. The spoiler module is also just hanging and not attached to it's bracket. I've tried to rotate the fusebox back into it's proper location but there's so much wiring that it's doesn't want to go.

Now this has put a right downer on things, last night I was almost ready to torch the :censored: car. I think to I'm going to have to remove the lights on beeper, remove the alarm control box and some of the wiring in an attempt to relocate it just so I can get better access to the fusebox. My main culprit is the fusebox not being in the right orientation as this stops me from fitting the lower shelves. Refitting the dash is not a problem, just the wiring :(

And to top it all I need my car for work on Monday, I'm confident I can get the dash back in and have the car running but there'll probably be stuff left off including the alarm.

It's not been a good start to my weekend so any positive replies are most welcome :)

Well it looks like you've done a good job of getting it out tidily so that's a good thing :)

Has the wiring been totally butchered or is just that things are a bit messy? I guess its understandable when fitting accessories with the dash still in access under there isn't great.

I'm sure you'll get it sorted though mate :salute:

Ahh crap I've just typed out a reply and hit send and my connection crashed losing what I typed so I'm going to be brief this time. I need to be outside working on the car.

Alarm out and wiring tidied up.

Beeper fell apart when removing so that's in the bin, won't be fitting another, don't want more wiring. Wiring tidied up.

Fusebox back in it's rightful place with a homemade clip holding it in made from some old gear lever parts I had lying around, works very well.

Some parts swapped from old dash into new, stuff like clips etc.

Some glueing left to on new dash then it can go in.

Carefully removed the alarm as I might be re-fitting it.

I think the problem with it all was that the alarm and beeper had been installed in such a place (just behind the spoiler switch) that there was no room for a tidy install so it was all left 'hanging'. Spoiler module case had been broken and that was hanging too.

Good work, Dave. Gonna change the heater matrix?

The matrix was done not so long back so no I ain't making anymore work for myself.

Removing the dash isn't too bad a job, just very drawn out. I must say of all the jobs I've done on the Rado so far this one is the one I feared most probably because I knew wiring issues were waiting for me and I don't do wiring very well :gag:

The dash shell is back in now, just need to refit the harnesses properly and then fit all the other bits n bobs. I just hope I haven't screwed up some wiring, I need the car to start 1st time.

Nice work Dave, not looking forward to doing ours though as the matrix's will need to be done soon :pale:

Nice work Dave, not looking forward to doing ours though as the matrix's will need to be done soon :pale:

Any advice I can give just ask. I've spent 3 days on and off so I'd like to think I know my way around it :)

Ok the dash is in and all complete, and it started fine too so well pleased with that. I've even managed to make the driver side lower shelf and fusebox cover fit pretty much perfect now. For anyone attempting this it looks complicated but it's not too bad a job. I'm starting to love the car again and I've put the matches away :lol:

The only downside is the central locking seems to have packed up although when the driver door is locked with the key the pass side door pin has a tiny amount of movement as though it's making an attempt to lock. Any help on this would be appreciated. It did work when the alarm was fitted.

Dave - can you hear the pump whirring away when you lock the car? I assume it won't lock/unlock from the passenger side either?

My thoughts are that either a vacuum hose has been disturbed during the dash removal and therefore the system is bleeding vacuum therefore not working, or that the wiring from the drivers/passengers door switches has been disturbed and therefore not activating the pump.

Sounds like you've had a tough time of it mate, hopefully the central locking will be the last of the gremlins in that department!

Dave - can you hear the pump whirring away when you lock the car? I assume it won't lock/unlock from the passenger side either?

My thoughts are that either a vacuum hose has been disturbed during the dash removal and therefore the system is bleeding vacuum therefore not working, or that the wiring from the drivers/passengers door switches has been disturbed and therefore not activating the pump.

Sounds like you've had a tough time of it mate, hopefully the central locking will be the last of the gremlins in that department!

Tom, passenger side is the same. I can't hear the pump whirring so you could be right I may have disturbed something. There were 2 wires from the alarm connected to the c/l circuit, I disconnected these and re-insulated, that's all I did. I'll do some investigation, thanks for your help.

A quick update - 288 calipers, disks and pads are now ready to go on after tarting them up slightly, thanks to Mark for helping me out with these. They've been completely refurbed - sandblast, powdercoat, all new seals throughout and new DG braided hoses. Very happy with the way they've turned out.

i was afraid of giving my calipers to the sandblasters in case they ended up with a bit of grit somewhere it shouldnt be. How did you manage to sort yours out?

i was afraid of giving my calipers to the sandblasters in case they ended up with a bit of grit somewhere it shouldnt be. How did you manage to sort yours out?

You'll end up with grit everywhere, just make sure you clean them out good.

Nicely done. You'll certainly notice the benefit that these bring... significant improvement over the standard 280's!

Well what an eventfull time I've had - the brake pipe union to the flexi-pipes wouldn't budge so had to cut through the pipe and make up a new rigid pipe to the ABS unit.

Came to do the pass side and exactly the same happened :mad2:

Anyway it's all done now - see pics

I do need to get some new 'C' clips for the pipe union as these no longer hold the union firmly in place.