daves16v

Black Metallic VR - SOLD!

Yeah common problem that. Do you have a DIY kit to make up new lines?

I suspect I'll have this issue myself when going back to 288s over the coming weeks.

I could do with a laugh so I might see how much VAG want for the 2 rigid lines :lol:

Yeah common problem that. Do you have a DIY kit to make up new lines?

I don't but I have a very good mechanic mate who has all the kit :D

The clips holding the driver side line to the bulkhead broke up when we removed them but that's about the only problem we had. Secured it with cable ties in the end.

Time for an update -

As some of you will know I use my VR as my daily which is nice as I get to drive it everyday. Now that's where the problem lies, now that fuel prices have risen and still rising it's getting expensive to run as a daily and to be honest I was falling out of love with it because a) it didn't feel special anymore and b) I wasn't happy with taking it through rush-hour traffic every day.

So I made the decision to go diesel and practical and bought another Passat, this time a TDI 130 Sport Estate. I immediately took the VR off the road and started writing the for sale advert. In the back of my mind I didn't really want to sell the VR but it made sense and I'd made up my mind. It needed an MOT before I could advertise it so made the necessary arrangements.

Meanwhile I was enjoying the economy of the Passat and although being a big car it returned very good mpg which made me really happy as I could feel the financial benefits straight away. I was also enjoying the benefits of heated seats, climate control, cruise control and the practicality of my first estate car.

All good, so I thought. The VR was safely tucked up in the garage awaiting it's final days and awaiting me to write out the for sale advert. Now during these last 6 weeks of not running the VR I've been helping Laser Mark and Purple Tom with their cars and enjoying it still with the thought in the back of my mind that my VR will soon be gone and at least I could 'keep my hand in' with friends Rado's. Oh no this wasn't enough, I wanted my own....................so that's when the real pain started, I now REALLY didn't want to let the VR go especially after popping into the garage to start it up every now and then.

So I had a job on my hands to hold on to the VR and get it back on the road - not an easy task with a Mortgage, Wife, two teenage girls and a Passat to run. After some brainstorming I've come up with a plan which will enable me to keep the VR and more importantly get it back on the road. I won't have nearly as much spare cash to upgrade stuff but it will still be loved and cared for.

The plan from now whilst it's off the road -

1. Remove rear beam, blast, powdercoat and fit new bushes.

2. Fit MK4 rear calipers with new discs, bearings and braided hoses.

3. Fit R32 front bushes.

4. Refit alarm, it was removed to tidy up wiring when I changed the dashboard.

5. Modify gearshifter for a shorter shift and fit Stainless gear surround.

6. Powdercoat alloys that I bought cheap, they've been chemical stripped and tidied up. I think tyres will have to wait.

That's about it for now as I'll be out of cash but hope to have it back on the road in about 2 months so I can enjoy the weather, show season, the friendship of fellow Rado owners and get to some local meets.

Anyway here's a pic of my Passat.

Keeping the VR means I can now make progress.

Rear beam is off and stripped ready for blasting and powdercoating, Mk4 rear calipers ready to go on, all other bits and pieces I already have or are on order.

It's in pretty good order back there with only some minor surface rust present, the biggest problem I encountered was corroded bolts of which I snapped a few. The brake bias was a complete barsteward as was some of the hard brake lines which I've had to cut through. Thanks to Purple Tom who will be making up some replacements for me, cheers buddy.

I'll update soon.

Great news, they really come on when not subjected to the daily grind.

Good man, you know it makes sense Dave :) Are you replacing the brake cmpensator and lines too?? gotta do my VR this year too.

Keeping the compensator as it seems to be good, replacing all the lines from the compensator back, so that's 4 hard lines and 4 flexi's.

Update time -

Parts removed -

Rear beam

Rear beam brackets

Brakes, compensator valve and all brakelines

Rear shocks and springs

Parts blasted and powdercoated –

Rear beam

Rear beam brackets

Disc shields

MK4 calipers & carriers

Brakeline mounting brackets

Stub axle (blasted only)

New Parts fitted –

Rear beam bushes

Rear beam bush nuts and bolts

Rigid brakelines (4x) + clips

Braided flexi hoses

Rear discs and bearings

ABS rotors

Pads

Stainless fixings where possible

Mikalor exhaust clamp

Rear strut rubber top mounts

Handbrake cable spring clips

Stub axle covers

Stub axle bolts

Whilst all the above was off I checked the underside for any corrosion. Found some very minor surface rust underneath the beam brackets, at the rear strut top mount and some just above the offside beam bracket – all now treated and coated. Oh and a bit at one of the tank strap mounts.

Speaking of the tank I decided to drop it down to clean properly around the arch, it’s good that I did as I ended up putting a thumb size hole in the upper tank mounting where all the crap collects. Was quite badly corroded, anyway I removed as much rust as I dare, filled the hole and treated it all with several coats of rust treatment, primer and a couple of coats of hammerite. Screws replaced with Stainless. Looked ok by the time I’d done.

I stripped the rear struts down to find they had been rebuilt incorrectly and also removed the surface rust, treated and top coat hammerite. Again it looked ok when done.

Whilst on the subject of dodgy workmanship, the rear compensator valve had been fitted with incorrect bolts but that was the least of my problems, the damn thing was properly corroded stuck, took a while to get it off.

On the whole most of the fixings underneath had corroded badly and were a pig to remove including a carrier bolt that I ended up cutting through the head with a hacksaw blade with only enough space for about 2” of blade movement, took about 45 mins just to get through that.

Now most of you will know that braided hoses are different to standard and don’t fit back into the mounting brackets with the same fixings. This was a problem with the flexis under the beam so I ended up making an extension plate that had the correct hole for the braided hose and would clamp through the existing bracket - see photos.

I had another problem with the ABS rotors not fitting the new discs. I bought the discs from AVS and found the mounting diameter to be 0.5mm less than the discs that were already on the car so the ABS rotors went on but didn’t stay on. I tried to modify the ABS rotors but it just damaged them so I ended up forking out for new ABS rotors from AVS. I did query this with AVS but was told this is how they are, he did check the size against some he had in stock. Anyway the new rotors fitted fine.

It’s all back together now but I’ve got 1 handbrake cable about 12mm shorter than the other which is causing me a problem but I’ll sort that before I get it back on the road. I didn’t make a very successful job of bleeding the brakes so I’ll have another go at it later.

Oh and it didn’t start after being sat for about 3 weeks, turned over just fine so the battery was ok, turned out to be an airlock in the tank. Took the tank cap off and away she went.

Anyway just a big thank you to Laser Mark and Purpletom who have helped with parts of the rebuild. Cheers chaps.

blimey you have been busy but the car looks sooo much better for it, out of curiosity did not do your own copper brake pipes as i need mine replacing also.

Looking good very clean and tidy in there!!Thats a lot of work but it looks well worth it good job:cool:

Hey it looking really nice underneith, I had the same prob with changing the handbrake cable as it turned out to be slightly shorter, also it could be worth going for a quick blast then hooking your hand brake cable on that way the pads will be in the correct prosition before sitting the cables in place

Thanks guys.

Karl, Purpletom did them for me as we live fairly close.

Wild, tried that already, if I set the cables the same distance in the bracket at the handbrake end then the brake is binding, there just not enough thread on the end of the cable to set it correctly because it's too short. I may be able to fabricate/machine something to allow it to do this, if that makes any sense.

really good work and great pics to illustrate what you've done. I have a spare rear beam which i will be stripping & blasting some time too, so the images help a lot too. Keep up the updates.

Adapter bracket now fabbed up and fitted to account for the short handbrake cable and I've fitted my Stainless gear surround whilst I was at it.

Next up - Short shift gear stick

Very nice indeed mate - you really look like you're in with this one for the long haul :) Top stuff.

Jim, if there's one thing I've learnt at least in my case it's 'don't use your Rado as a daily'. I lost the love after using it as a daily, then stopped using it as a daily and the love returned.

Anyway apart from that I've ploughed too much time and money into it to let it go. Still love the noise!

Here's the short shift I've modified ready to drop in. I've done them in the past but this one is a milder reduction in the hope of keeping it a smooth shift.