daves16v

Black Metallic VR - SOLD!

I've got a pinhole leak on my rad neck too... seems like everyone's having these problems all at the same time!

Ordered a new one from VW Heritage, and just bought a replacement rad (Hella), might as well do that too :)

I for sure would also like to buy one of those well made radiator necks, if you chose to make up some for sale. Great work anyway ;)

Just an idea: how about making up a small stop for the hose as per original?

Cheers,

Redfox.

Gaz, the corner shouldn't cause a problem and yes the internal and external sizes are identical. Yeah seals are available from VAG.

Jim, I guess it depends on demand and price. I've got some testing to do first and already I'm wanting to make a slight change. I can't see them being available before Xmas.

Redfox, just for you................

Ok Dave.. keep us posted! I may have to end up getting a plastic one soonish by the looks of things :(

Hi Dave,

Perfect. This way it supports the hose perfect ;)

I am in for one if so happens, no doubt.

Time is not an object. No need to hurry.

Cheers,

Redfox.

---------- Post added at 06:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:12 PM ----------

Dragon Green,

That may help you on the short term, but they are known to degrade anyway, so a stainless Dave-model would do you good in the long run ;)

This is not meant to put Dave under any presure ;) No, not at all ;) No hidden agendas or anything ;)

Cheers,

Redfox.

Finally finished my OBD2 conversion tonight and I've been out for a good run.

I have to say I'm very happy with the results -

1. Idles really nicely now and sounds smoother too, also starts without shooting up to 1500rpm everytime.

2. Smoother acceleration.

3. Improved low down torque

4. Overrun is seamless when coming off the gas which I had a problem with OBD1.

5. Engine is smoother throughout the rev range and especially between 5 and 6k when it sounded a little rough.

6. Exhaust tone has changed, it's quieter now but not sure if that's a good thing?

On top of all this I've done the whole conversion myself which has given me huge satisfaction and bags more confidence. Ok it's taken me just over a week doing a few hours after work each night and weekends but I wanted to do a thorough and close to a perfect job as I could. I'm very happy with the finish under the bonnet, will get some pics up soon, oh and I've got the Stainless radiator elbow fitted now so I'll be monitoring that closely.

good work Dave, thanks for your help over the weekend, ive got my ECU boxed up so hopefully should run when its back.... mine does fire and runs for a second then cuts out when imob kicks in... tried adapatation tonight to no avail... cant wait see how mine sounds once it finally runs :)

only thing left for me is to clip the loom back in one I get the cable ties and to fit the L shaped top radiator bracks once you've managed to see if you can knock some stainless things up for them! then good to go!

Just put a gruven parts one on my new radiator too, looks a little more robust than the fragile plastic one, hope yours does you good :)

thanks again mate for the help :)

Cheers,

Pete

Well done mate - great skills. Be interesting to see how it does on the rollers!

Something I'd like to do to mine one day! What did it set you back in bits mate?

Pete, always happy to help.

I called Vauxhall today, they said the ties were on back order and to call back in a couple of days.

I didn't realise you were desperate for the rad bracket parts, I'll try to get em done this week.

Dave

---------- Post added at 10:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:44 PM ----------

Well done mate - great skills. Be interesting to see how it does on the rollers!

Something I'd like to do to mine one day! What did it set you back in bits mate?

Jim, I'll drop you the RR cash tomorrow. The kit was £220 then cable ties, harness tape etc came to about £240 all in. I did pick up a spare throttle body for a bargain fiver off ebay which is on the car now.

Glad to hear it went smoothly, mine was a royal pain in the arse until I got my immobiliser removed. Did you keep the same loom or change it to the obd2 loom?

I'd heard a lot of stories about the immobiliser being problematic but plugged mine in and that was it. I swapped to the OBD2 loom.

Ahh ok, I've heard that you can use the late corrado fusebox to ecu loom and wanted to know if it was true. I have no idea why mine is playing silly buggers but I have that to figure out because ideally I'd like to run with the immobiliser connected for that extra safety factor.

The mfa figures went a bit haywire on mine, I was seeing 44mpg which I highly doubt will be true lol

If it helps, the brown socket from the transponder box needs to be connected to the matching brown plug with grey/white single wire on the loom. Black wire from the transponder goes to an ignition feed and the last grey wire with brown plug connects to the block behind the dash at the rear of the gear shifter. Don't forget the 2 brown wires from the transponder got to earth.

This is how I connected mine and it fired 1st time.

Hi Dave,

Thanks buddy, yeah, ive not got anything apart from the one rusty one I offered to send you as a template :) so not got nothing holding the top of the rad in at the moment.

looking forward to seeing your install pics :)

Thanks again buddy!

good stuff! Well my OBD2 stuff arrived today so i'll be bugging you with questions Dave! Need to give it all a good clean and polish first though.

good stuff! Well my OBD2 stuff arrived today so i'll be bugging you with questions Dave! Need to give it all a good clean and polish first though.

I'll do my best to help.

Finally finished my OBD2 conversion tonight and I've been out for a good run.

I have to say I'm very happy with the results -

1. Idles really nicely now and sounds smoother too, also starts without shooting up to 1500rpm everytime.

2. Smoother acceleration.

3. Improved low down torque

4. Overrun is seamless when coming off the gas which I had a problem with OBD1.

5. Engine is smoother throughout the rev range and especially between 5 and 6k when it sounded a little rough.

6. Exhaust tone has changed, it's quieter now but not sure if that's a good thing?

On top of all this I've done the whole conversion myself which has given me huge satisfaction and bags more confidence. Ok it's taken me just over a week doing a few hours after work each night and weekends but I wanted to do a thorough and close to a perfect job as I could. I'm very happy with the finish under the bonnet, will get some pics up soon, oh and I've got the Stainless radiator elbow fitted now so I'll be monitoring that closely.

Good man! All the things I noticed too when I did mine.

The first few times you pull up to a junction and it doesn't feel like it's going to stall really make the conversion worthwhile!

What was the overrun issue Dave? Noticed on my coming off the throttle it jolts a little, changed the front engine mount and it still does it a little. VR characteristic?

Excellent work, Dave :) Will be very interesting to see the torque curve after the RR run. I bet you feel well chuffed!

Gaz, exactly that, not anymore, the OBD2 has cured it.

Andy, yeah I'm looking forward to the RR day and yes very pleased.

Well there isn't a lot to see under the bonnet regarding the OBD2 conversion. I did run out of harness tape so there is some wiring to tidy.

IMG_5986.jpg

The Golf loom is indeed longer than the Corrado loom so I've looped it, you can just see it behind the expansion tank.

IMG_5977.jpg

New stud mounted cable ties.

IMG_5988.jpg

One problem that I've got and suspect others will come across it or already have is that the Lambda plug that is mounted in the bracket has a bigger body so interferes with the other plug. The slot in the bracket is the correct size but is just too close to the other plug. I've had to cable tie it to the bracket so I'm going to make a new bracket that will accommodate both comfortably.

IMG_5973.jpg

The new rad elbow is on, is a perfect fit and doesn't leak.

IMG_5976.jpg

One other thing that I've been meaning to do is swap a coolant pipe, I'll let the photo tell the story lol................yes it's copper pipe which was painted Black on top, you're looking at the underside.

IMG_2798.jpg

looks good mate, would be willing to pay for a new bracket if you fancied making one up for me? :-)

I've currently done what you did prior to making your bracket and cable tid it up...

Cheers

Pete