Pat_McCrotch

Keep it original

Just got one of these to go in my new C (when I find one! :D ). 1997 Passat Gamma Radio with green backlighting to match the dash. There is nothing worse than driving a car and bring blinded by 1500 blue and red flashing LED lights like most of the modern single DIN radios

http://cgi.ebay.de/autoradio-vw-orginal ... 4aa77421f6

Only £30, brand new unit as well :D Plus I can connect an iPod lead/CD Changer to it.

If anyone else is as fussy as me, I may be able to get some more :)

Edited by Pat_McCrotch

i hate to be the bearer of bad news Kev, but my Corrado sales brochure says different..

that is a cracking find, especially if it really can be made ipod compatible.. any chance you can find out if it can be used with an iphone 3gs? I'd buy one for sure if it can.

Think all the UK radios (Panasonic & Sony) were fitted by VW UK. The Germans got the factory fitted Gammas?

Didn't realise they were that rare, gonna buy them all up now :lol:

According to xcarlink.co.uk my xcarlink box from my A6 will plug straight into the back of it :notworthy:

OK, cheers for the clarification chaps! Mine came with a Panasonic, so must have been a dealer fit. The Gamma sits in the Corrado really well doesn't it?

Shame I converted all my tapes to MP3 format and binned them really :lol:

if I can plug it into my IPOd's then i'd like one of these... i dont have any stereo in mine atm...

Only £25, brand new unit as well :D Plus I can connect an iPod lead/CD Changer to it.

Not to mention playing those new fangled "tape" contraptions :tongue:

Looks great - thats why I like the becker units so much! But surely the sound output is going to be a bit iffy (in terms of both power and quality)? Or is an ipod signal an ipod signal no matter what it plays thorugh?

:shrug:

This is exactly the head unit I have - I run it with a Connects2 Ipod aux adaptor that plugs into the cd changer connector and it works with the iPod nano and iPhone 3GS, but you need an additional adapter to charge the later iPhones, as Apple changed the charging setup - then you simply press the cd button, and you can use the shuffle, forward and back controls on the head unit - but no text. Of course it also works with a normal cd changer. Sound quality is fine for everyday use and it looks OEM. I think the Gamma IV was relatively high end at the time, and it even has phone mute and GALA (speed dependent volume control) functions which work really nicely - the wiring for the volume control is already there.

@Pat - let me know if you can get hold of any more with the green backlighting as it could be handy to have a spare around.

This unit predates mp3 players by quite some years :D

The only way you can playback MP3s is via an Aux input or with one of those tape adaptors. But it will be sound playback only, no folder / track control.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Car-Cassette-Adap ... 97fff9a975

Those things sound NAff! Never get good quality from one of them. You'd be better off trying to get an input off the rear of the unit and feeding it though to the cubby hole under the heater controls.

There a signal L and signal R out on the CD changer ISO connector block, no other line out or preamp sockets - but that's all I can tell you I'm afraid.

There a signal L and signal R out on the CD changer ISO connector block, no other line out or preamp sockets - but that's all I can tell you I'm afraid.

it would be great to see a pic of the back of the unit if anyone can get one? Cheers for the info.

Baz

I should be able to get a picture later - just bear in mind when buying that the green illumination only came on radios up to 1998 - after that the Gamma IV had red button and blue lcd lighting to match the newer dashes.

Any update on these Pat? Did you manage to get hold of a few of them with the green illumination.

Interested to see how it looks when it's all illuminated etc.

Got 3 but haven't had a chance to put them on classifieds yet, keeping one for when I sell :)

Haven't fitted it yet but should just be a case of finding the relevant wire.