Walesy

Nissan 350Z

Anyone driven or owned one of these? i'm looking for something for around £7k-£8k and am surprised to see that these are available with as little as 35k miles for around the £7k mark so Im interested to know what they're like, common problems, running costs etc - how come they're so cheap! I've always liked the look of them since they came out and they have that certain Corrado type appeal which is difficult to find in another car IMO, so anyone got any info on them?

not that it helps, but i believe someone on the forum with an r32 Corrado whupped his mates 350z 8)

I too am amazed at the price of these. Since my VR was written off I've been looking at these and R32's. Been on the Z350 owners web site there is a write up about the main common problems. There really aint too much that goes wrong with them. The drive shafts get noisey and if you pick up the GT spec make sure the BOSE cd player dosn't skip thats a common problem. The early models come with a "poorer" interior . I'm sure there's more it was a few weeks ago when I looked.

Alan

As above /\ check out the owners club. Really good cars- would defo consider one as a Rado replacement one day...

It won't be replacing the rado as I can't convince MrsW to get rid of it! she wouldn't rather a boxter, TT, or SLK, nothing! She's determined to keep it, so it'll stay. However I'm after something that's a bit of fun so maybe I'll go for a testdrive in a 350Z to see how they feel.

---------- Post added at 12:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:13 PM ----------

I too am amazed at the price of these. Since my VR was written off I've been looking at these and R32's. Been on the Z350 owners web site there is a write up about the main common problems. There really aint too much that goes wrong with them. The drive shafts get noisey and if you pick up the GT spec make sure the BOSE cd player dosn't skip thats a common problem. The early models come with a "poorer" interior . I'm sure there's more it was a few weeks ago when I looked.

Alan

Cheers for that :)

An old mate of mine had one. Look nice, sound nice, go nice. But he found fuel consumption was woefully bad - more than the figures alone would suggest. He also moaned about the repair costs, saying that the Nissan parts were extortionate. He cracked an alloy wheel once, and a new ONE from the dealer was over £1,000!! (Without a tyre!)

A friend of mine has a Civic Type R and I am always amazed at how much tuning parts for Jap cars cost! Extortionate! Apparently its because they all come from Japan and a weak conversion rate plus shipping and so on makes it all really expensive.

Meh, Im no speed demon, never have been Hassan, it all about the all round package for me :)

Me neither, but theres something greatly satisfying blasting someone into the weeds, with a very smart looking 'old' car.

@Dude - i stand corrected, not R32, rotrexed ;)

Worked on these when I was at Nissan. Conclusion was that against a TT, RX8, MB350SLK, Z4, Boxster only the Boxster was in the same league from performance and handling point of view. Ride was better in the Boxster. 350Z convertibles had better ride than coupes. Great performance feel, great noise, unfortunately bad road noise from rear. Boot space not great. Need to watch when buying as to whether or not it's UK spec. Lots of grey Japan spec cars here. No quality problems with them, just might not be the spec you expect such as wheel type, spring and damper rates are Europe unique. If a Japan spec car has been converted to Euro spec you also have a car that someone else has had in bits before you even get your grubby mits on it. This is stuff like bumpers to get correct space for number plate, adding rear fog lamp, speedo in mph/kph....Eventually the Euro spec suspension was used globally. Definitely a nice drive and soooo cheap compared to a Boxster second hand.

Cheers all, I drove one today, and it felt like a Jap coupe, needless to say I didn't buy it :lol:

Cheers all, I drove one today, and it felt like a Jap coupe, needless to say I didn't buy it :lol:

I am surprised at that - I test drove one about 18 months ago and gave it a very proper test drive and thought it was pretty dammed good. Handled and performed better than I had expected and for the money fantastic - a definate replacement consideration for the Corrado in my mind without spending mega bucks. Downside - interior. I understand the earlier models did have some teething problems, although I was unaware of the running costs mentioned earlier. Is that the same with all Jap cars then ? If so, I am surprised they sell so many.

I was talking about the interior when I said 'it felt like a Jap coupe', I should have made that clearer :) - the drive was very nice from the few miles I did in it but as I said before I'm looking for an all round package and it just wasn't making me want to spend £7k on it! , I'm looking at S4's now :lol:

funny this thread comes up i had a play with one yesterday along the due-ly..... didnt paste me like i expected it to either instead he either backed off or i just nipped him but i was totally flat out no more beans @ 152 mph

They were limited to 155mph - but that was all they could do. You see if you read in the brochure that it's 'limited to 155', then you think "that's a responsible manufacturer and the car can clearly do more". But actually it can't.

I I'm looking at S4's now :lol:

Which one? If your looking for a B6 for £7k its going to have mega miles on it and thats an expensive B5. I am absolutely loving mine. There no sports car though, big heavy lump. More of a comfortable bruiser than a flighty chucakable car. dont get me wrong they still handle but you do feel the weight.

The sound and overall feel with the proper quattro etc make if feel solid. Only downside Ive found is fuel consumption but in reality its not that bad for a 4.2l V8. Im getting arouns 24.5mpg at the moment on mainly A/B road commute, 29mpg was what I was getting in My Mk5 Gti on same roads.

A few years ago I was really wanting one of these! Didn't realise the price had dropped so much! Maybe time to get saving!

Yeah I really fancied one a few years back when they were fetching a lot of money but never bothered looking as I couldn't afford one (i'm bloody glad too having seen how much they've depreciated!) I couldn't believe how cheap they are now when I started looking recently, but when I had a look around one and a drive it just didn't 'grab' me like I would want it to so there ends the dream! :lol: - If I'm honest I'm gutted I can't convince my wife to get rid of the Corrado to buy a TT or Boxster instead :camp:

Coullstar I'm looking at B5 S4's, can't afford the B6 as lovely as they are! and yeah I realise it's not a sports car, it's an estate! :lol: - but having just sold my T4 I think it might be more sensible to have something with a bit more room rather than a coupe so an S4 could be a good all round compromise, haven't found one worth looking at yet though!

Just watch them for the turbos / manifolds. I heard they are prone for cracking / going pop and with two its twice as expensive. With a couple of K04's they are supposed to be pretty damn fast.