seanl82

Seanl82's ringer Storm

Fingers crossed you are one of the people who can use one of them. I always seem to get into full Retard mode with them and make things worse.

Vacuum bleeder everytime for me, although I really should buy one instead of robbing them from mates!

I'll probably get a vacuum bleeder now Sean. With access to air lines, it makes sense and they're pretty cheap to buy looking on ebay.

Had another couple of hours on the Aqua today. Manually put it in gear and drove it onto the ramps. Running a little rough, but previous owner mentioned the coil pack needs changing. Got a couple of spares so thats ok. Gotta say, I'm pretty impressed now! Its grubby as hell underneath, and needs a complete new exhaust system by the look of it, but the sills are rock solid! The underseal has been scraped a fair bit where a widowmaker has obviously been used to jack it up but it looks relatively recent and theres no sign of any major rust what so ever. It has a decat which explains why it failed emissions test (I put it down to the major exhaust leak). I mentioned it has the 288mm front brake upgrade, and after a good look and little wipe down, it has braided hoses all round too! I think I'll have them for mine. Another bonus is that the fronts on mine are near new, and the O/S rear was replaced last year so I'll have a full set of braided lines for the price of a single rubber one I expect!

ABS and rear spoiler are working correctly too after noticing fuse 16 had blown which is excellent as I thought I'd be chasing another ABS problem. Spoiler retracting is slow, so it needs a bit of maintenance but thats no biggie. Heater dials work on all settings and direction, so the only common problem with it is the sunroof doesn't slide!

So, for MOT it requires:

- Full exhaust (will get a cheap second hand stainless system)

- Ball joints (supplied by PO)

- ARB drop links (advisory but cheap as chips)

- Sidelight Bulb (Have half a dozen spares anyway)

- Legal number plates (Another cheap easy fix)

Other bits required:

Tidy up in engine bay

Detail paintwork

Tidy up alarm wiring

Replace gear shift cables (before MOT obviously)

Maybe replace wings with if a decent set come up in the right colour

Thats it! :dance:

Some pics.

DSC_0067_zpskmhtadgd.jpg

DSC_0068_zpsebq0amzr.jpg

DSC_0069_zps8s24ay9q.jpg

DSC_0070_zpscxirkshj.jpg

DSC_0071_zps660pembc.jpg

DSC_0072_zpsgoohqhlg.jpg

DSC_0073_zps1fkar3tl.jpg

DSC_0076_zpsjut2z32m.jpg

DSC_0077_zpseukxph3x.jpg

DSC_0078_zpsgzkvg25j.jpg

Nice one Sean , not a bad investment then really , only niggles for the mot , so that's good . A good clean up , bobs ya uncle n fannys ya aunt , sorted .

Well done Sean this should be easy for you as you have had the practice with the green one :thumbleft:

Indeed Rob!

Graham - I wouldn't go that far, but its a good honest example actually.

Sean - I must admit I really like it. Corrados came in some great colours didn't they!

James - Hopefully mate. I've not had the displeasure of changing balljoints in the past tbh, but shouldn't imagine it would be too difficult.

The only thing that'll cost a bit to sort is the exhaust.

I'm budgeting £250 Sean. That should hopefully be enough for a decent second hand exhaust, and enough things to get it reasonable, then I'll be advertising it for someone else to take over the mantle!

Bit of an update, and thought I'd take the opportunity to document everything that has been changed/renewed over the course of the last few months. I've had a bit of a breakthrough finally, so the car is very close to being ready to be put back on the road. Theres loads I will have forgotten, and I've bought lots from the forum and ebay both new and good used items that I don't have documentation for.

The car went away for windows out respray on 1st August, so I set about aquiring parts ready for putting it all back together again. Before it went though I took off all exterior trim etc, and got the bumper irons Nylon coated.

I put in an order to ARZ tuning for some parts I could have got over here, but they were the only place I could find that did the wing mirror seals so needed to justify the 30 Euro postage charge. I also got a new sunroof seal, badge grommets, body trim speed nuts, fuse box clips, interior trim clips, and heater cable clips.

I got the BBS RX228s refurbished, which unfortunately uncovered a crack to one of the wheels. This was another unexpected cost but needed doing.

New window slot/scraper seals, door aperture seals, and a 90mm splitter were ordered from Heritage.

A few other bits were bought like seat runner clips, a new rear VR6 badge, new rear VW roundel, tint film for fog lights, paint for calipers, heated convex mirrors, new number plates, a near mint rear plate tub as mine had been bonded on previously and cracked on removal, all red rear lights, replacement spoiler mech as one of the securing screws to the guide tube kept turning when I removed it, and the part where the captive nut locates snapped off. Window rollers from the GB and a few other bits and pieces but can't remember what.

I also bought an entire lot of looms from VR6Gar from his breaker which were in very good knick, as mine had been chopped to pieces with remnants of 3 old alarm systems, and the worst ICE install I've ever seen. The stereo wiring had been cut to shreds behind the stereo, with randoms bits of wire twisted together and un-insulated running all over the car to the speakers.

The ABS had never worked since I got the car either. The light wouldn't illuminate even though the light unit had been tested good.

I completely swapped out the whole interior looms, routing it all properly as it had been previously left just hanging all behind the dash. The entire ABS loom was replaced as well, but I couldn't find the fuse box to light loom amongst what had been sent.

I searched VAGCAT cross referencing each part number of the looms as they all had the original stickers. It turns out that the one sent was from an earlier system with two rows of 4 to the light unit, where mine was a single row of 8.

By this time I'd bought the Aqua as a bit of a parts car and to flog on afterward, and recognised the loom from that. Once that had been replaced, I had power! I got the multimeter on the aqua as it had working ABS, and took note of the correct voltage sequence when the self check was in progress, and when the system was active afterward. I'd bought a replacement ABS pump as VAGCOM had identified a duff i/o valve on it, and a duff rear right sensor. I changed both, then put it back on VAGCOM. At this point, I ended up with more faults than I started with, including the rear sensor I'd just changed. Got fed up and moved onto other things.

I swapped out all brake hoses for Goodridge Braided ones from the Aqua, and had to replace the two front hard lines. I changed the inner rear hose (rear beam) for a new one for good measure. All the securing clips were replaced with new, and the front brakes were upgraded to the 288's I got from Harrier a while back. Rear calipers had new seals and were wire wheeled down to metal, and fresh paint applied. Rear pads were looking a little grotty although had a fair amount of meat on them, but I changed them anyway. Took 3 attempts at bleeding the entire system, and about 4 litres of fluid, but just when I was gonna give up and get it done professionally, it all came good! I then went back to the ABS problem, and thought my replacement pump was duff. I took the known good one out of the aqua and tested that without it being connected to the pipes, and it threw up the same faults as the other one which was a bit strange. I tested all sensors, and all were showing around 1.1Kohms which is correct. Took the car for a quick spin to see if the faults cleared, but no joy. I left it overnight to mull it over a bit, and had a good look online. I stumbled upon a thread on CGTI where it said about resetting the DTCs. I always assumed my VAGCOM wasn't quite right as I couldn't reset DTCs after a scan. The thread on CGTI mentioned that it cannot be done with HEXCAN, but can be done by going into individual system checks and scanning, then resetting after that. I did this, and eureka! Well almost anyway, light was still on, and I had a new fault. Rear left wheel speed sensor which I'd checked the day before. Thought I'd been thrown another curve ball, but checked it again anyway. This time it was showing at 6 ohms so thought brilliant, I've cracked it! I got the old sensor from the right side out of the bin, and tested that. Turns out it was good, but I'd damaged the sensor when removing it damn it! Even so, it was giving the correct resistance, so hooked it up, turned the key and YAY! Light goes out!!!!!!!!!!

I've ordered another rear sensor, but I'm now wondering if the whole process (apart from the fusebox to light loom) had been a waste of time. :rolleyes: I'll check all the old stuff I took out at another point, but I have a system thats pretty much good now.

I've also swapped out the dash from the Aqua, as the original had "additional" holes that had been used to secure the undertrays where they weren't securing. The top part where the centre console secures had been ripped out too, where one of the previous owners obviously removed it without taking out the two screws up there. I got some very good condition undertrays from Goldie so thats all good now. I swapped out the glove box lid as well as the inner cover was scratched to buggery to begin with. All very good now though!

Before the dash went back in, I got a replacement heater box with bowden cables as my passenger vent had a big crack in it, and the direction cable was very stiff. All back together and with centre console and heater dials in, and I now have directional control!

The dials themselves were good, luckily they'd just jumped the teeth rather than snapping them which was a bonus.

New push tabs for the seals under the doors have been put on, bonnet seal clips too. Another coolant refresh and oil and filter (Fuchs Titan) replacement, BMC CDA cleaned, and Daves16v short shifter fitted.

Interior can finally go back in now, so once thats done and the ABS sensor has been replaced, all I'm waiting on is another order from Heritage (coming from Classic parts) for scuttle clips, and interior screw caps and she's ready to go!

I've already sealed the wheels and applied Carpro Dlux to the exterior plastics, but I'm going to give it a quick go over with the machine polisher where I've wiped it a little with a ton of dust on, so induced some light scratching. Carpro Cquartz to go on after that.

Once thats all done, I'll get the car MOT'd and enjoy it for a couple of months! I know its winter, but its the only opportunity I have next year as I'm off abroad for 8 months in April. Car will be dry stored during that time as I've acquired a local authority garage to keep her tucked away!

Well done if you've got to the end, and I'll update again in the next couple of weeks with progress.

I've been given a high end compact camera (Fujifilm X10) so I'll be able to get it out and take some decent snaps for once shortly too!

:thumbleft:

Edited by seanl82

Just a bit Jamie! I got the car back on the 18th October. I've only been able to do things on my lunch breaks, and by snatching a couple of days overall on a weekend. Shouldn't take more than a few hours to get everything back together, then a day or two for the detailing. It'll be MOT'd before Xmas provided I get the bits from Heritage in time. I phoned them today and they don't have an update. Said its likely to be another week though and I may/may not receive them before Xmas which could be a bit of a bummer. I've got a replacement scuttle which is going on, as mine had been bonded on where the lips for the scuttle clips had been snapped off previously. Will be done properly by me though!

Not done much since you bought it Sean have you .

Not much mate!

Front and rear axle is all I've yet to touch! (although I've changed brakes, hoses, driveshaft, CVs, etc etc......... :p

Looking forward to seeing it one day . It's come such a long way since you bought it . I can just picture the geezers face you bought it from , seeing it and recognising the plate and thinking , wow look at it now !

Hopefully you will do in a couple of weeks mate. She deserves a nice little run. I've only done 400 miles since insuring it it May and that was mostly done going to Bruntingthorpe and back!

When are you down mate?? A few of us (basically me and Rob) are thinking a little South west Corrado Christmas meet is in order, maybe the day after boxing day.

Rog.

That's the day I'm down I think Rog. Not sure what time I'll be there though. I'll text you tomorrow when I've asked her (she's on the lash atm).

I will get the others on the case too . Chris Langers , Rob Mann , Matt butterwith (Dell boy , headlight switches ) and Dave Buckler .

Can't wait to see some pics Sean. You've done an amazing job with it, so different from when you first got it.

Hopefully see it next year! Bet you'd think twice about running it down bruntingthorpe now!!

Thanks Chris! Will you be going to Ultimate Dubs in March? Think its the last opportunity for a show before I'm off so I'm dead set on making it.

Thanks Chris! Will you be going to Ultimate Dubs in March? Think its the last opportunity for a show before I'm off so I'm dead set on making it.

Dont think I will be, they do have a section for standard cars and mine should be back together by then but there will likely be salt on the roads and its not good for the finish on my brake calipers!

Having odd hours here and there is one of the most frustrating things for me. If I could just have a couple of solid days on mine I could sort so many of the little jobs I keep meaning to sort. There was a guy on eBay selling scuttle clips the other day, just checked and his last listing said they were the last ones he had - bloody typical!

Bloody hell Chris, give em a clean afterwards!

Jamie, yeah I saw them. I can't remember how many are needed but he was selling lots of 5 which I don't think is enough. I also needed the retaining grommets too.