corrado wannabe

Power steering feel

Gents,

Quick question, and I know it will be subjective, but how should the power steering feel on a C with standard wheels and tyres? Is it a fairly unobtrusive power steering on these cars or should it be fairly noticeable at low speeds?

I feel that my steering is heavy, but not having driven an older car for a long time cant quite decide if it is just my perception or if there an issue with it.

Just looking for a quick straw poll to get a rough idea, or if anyone knwos of any quick tests I can do to check its ok, would be much appreciated. :thumbleft:

Dougie

Mine is pretty damn heavy too tbh. I've done a fluid flush and changed the auxiliary belt, the pump isn't noisy either and nothing has changed. Its good it has a positive feel, but its a touch too heavy imo. I've not compared it to another although I had a valver 8 months before the VR, but don't remember it being quite as heavy.

Thanks guys, I think it confirms what I thought. Although it has been a few years, it reminded me of my old Mk1 GTi which didnt have power steering!

Not that I am complaining, do like the feel of the road through the steering wheel again all part of the appeal of these.

Dougie

They seem to vary, the old rack on my early 16v has always been heavy maneuvering but the 8v is much lighter, both are still on original racks but a recon and second hand pump respectively, I suspect the mk3 golf type pump on the 8v is slightly better than the mk2 style one on the valver, I think the vr pump is closer to the mk3 type.

I think the pumps driven off a serpentine belt always feel better - less chance of slip even if the plastic cover is still present...

Old fluid is another thing to look out for on cars of this age and I think dead top mounts can also make steering heavy.

Don't forget the obvious though - check tyre pressures reguarly and wide after-market wheels will always 'feel' heavy

The PAS on my MK2 (8v) is as light as a feather.

Corrado is quite heavy - slightly too heavy in tight spots - but otherwise I think it gives really good feel.

Good advice on the tyres pressures as I checked them before I posted and they were slightly low. I was surprised the sticker on the b pillar recommended that the tyre pressures on the 15" wheel were 36 psi. But I bottled it at 34 all round as I think they look like balloons!

Might as well change the belt at the same time as the alternator belt while I am poking my nose around that area.

I will leave the top mounts until the suspension overhaul takes place in spring next year.

Thanks for the input as always lads

Dougie

Modern cars with variable assistance just make old cars inordinately feel heavy. So yeah, perception I'd say.

I've always preferred VW's light touch PAS.

My Corrado feels heavy compared to our MK2 fabia (very light)

My MK7 golf has variable/customisable steering that you have presets for but can also delve into without needing VAGCOM.

Sport mode on the golf is just about the same as the Corrado when moving. The difference being that it is lighter when parking but the C is bloody heavy when moving at low speeds.

What a bunch of wusses, I had 205's on my mk1 and no power steering at all, you lot don't know you're born, I'm surprised you can cope without an electronic parking brake and auto gearbox

What a bunch of wusses, I had 205's on my mk1 and no power steering at all, you lot don't know you're born, I'm surprised you can cope without an electronic parking brake and auto gearbox

MK2 transits for me once I'd passed my test, they we're a real pleasure to manoeuvre without PAS...................... Providing you were on snow and ice!

Now Now DavidWort, I am not complaining, merely looking to guage opinions on whether or not I require to carry out any remedial work on my vehicle due to its age and mileage.

Had you read my post, you will see I too owned a Mk1, so therefore, do know I am born.

That said, it is ahuge inconvenience having to manually lift up the handbrake lever. Hence why I drive the Audi 4 days a week. :camp:

Dougie

MK1s were all about sacrifice and hardship :lol:

Shyte wipers, shyte heater, dangerous brakes, heavy (but feelsome) steering and you could trust the rust to bust your something else they rhymes with 'ust' :D

My Mk1 was a 1980, roll forward 14 years to the C and.....

Shyte wipers, shyte lights, heavy (but feelsome) steering and you have to wonder what the product development department had been up to all that time apart form improving the heater and the brakes!

Wouldnt change the wee car for the world though!

I love the feeedback from the steering & chassis, makes it such a safe car to drive in tricky conditions & especially when there is ice about but it does feel heavy for parking & slow manoeuvres....

Mine is crap in ice and just wet or damp roads. Hardly any grip. Got stuck on a very slight incline once and couldn't move. Every car behind just drive by like normal. Even old grey haired little ladies. Had to turn around in the end.

Have to 100% disagree. My VR6 is excellent in the snow and ice. A few years ago when the M40 near High Wycombe was a car park full of BMW's and Mercs going nowhere my Corrado carried on regardless

36 psi is not inordinately high.

Make sure though that you are not going up to 3.6 bar, which is 53 psi (it can be, and has been, done if you misread the scale on the gauge....)

Best wishes

RB