Roger Chatfield

Scottish Independence

So what are peoples thoughts on the up coming independence vote.

It looks like we are in for interesting times ahead, I can't believe the vote is so close, I really thought the yes vote would be so much bigger.

Personally I hope the yes vote wins it, Scotland has the potential to be another Norway, the future for an independent Scotland surely looks good.

Also it's good news for Plymouth, Scotland will get rid of trident and the only dockyard in England with a nuclear licence is in Plymouth and additional projects like the new type 26 frigates will no longer be built in Scotland so vital work will go to English dockyards.

Rog.

Can we just not go there? No online threads ever end amicably that i've seen and this is too good a forum! :)

eiher way, Corrados will still exist and be cherished and really, that's all that matters

Does it affect me, not really. Therefore I don't really have much interest, I've just been looking on it with slight curiosity. I think it was overwhelmingly no before the last month or so, but I think the younger generation get caught up in the hype and enthusiasm that has been surrounding Salmond and his yes campaign lately though. So I reckon it'll be a narrow yes win. Either way, I'm not arsed until I'm affected by any of it.

I completely agree with jamiehamy - I have businesses in Glasgow and in Carlisle and people on both sides of the arguement have very adamant some saying if Scotland goes independent we are moving to England (incidentally the 'Nos' seem to be less likely to give their opinion openly) to the ones who support the Yes vote who hate the English with a passion. The English vary from 'who cares' to 'get rid of them' - the trouble is with a referendum that the questions are so huge that the consequences are very hard to explain with simple facts and terefore unfortunately the murky world of politics means that the real truth is never told so people can't make a decision on facts and oftern the heart rules the head - (see joining the EU in 1974) which brings me back to topic - isbn't that a bit like becoming an owner of a Corrado? That facts the costs owning one are murky and therefore the heart rules the purchase and not the head - how was that for getting back on topic?

Maybe I will have to get my passport out a few times a week to head to Glasgow who knows?

It makes me quite sad really. I have quite a few friends in Scotland and relish every opportunity I get to go up there and visit them and soak up the hospitality and scenery when I'm there. I sort of feel that in some respects (and I don't mean this to be condescending to the Scots) that a lot of people have gotten swallowed up into this whole Yes vote because of dislike for the English and English politicians rather than because of any real insight or belief in the financial aspects, that they will actually be better off. And I'm keen to stress that if we had the same situation in England, I'm quite convinced there would be a lot of English 'nationalists' who would be behaving exactly the same way so as I say, this isn't intended as a slight against the Scottish.

I really hope for a No vote, but I hope then that Westminster devolve sufficient powers to Scotland for them to be satisfied with the union we have, rather than tearing it up. I completely understand why it enrages so many up there (I suppose in much the same way as a lot of Brits are so angry that so much of their country is controlled from offices in Brussels!) but in the same way it would seem a backwards step for us to leave the European Union, it seems such a backwards step to break up the British union.

Well I'm hopefully going to be working out of Aberdeen from next year. So long as my taxes aren't affected negatively, I'm not concerned. I do think separation from the UK can only harm the Scottish. What about mortgage payments made in Sterling once the Scottish government loose the right to trade in it.

Couldn't give a jot about it to be fair. Either way, we'll still all be humped by those who most still see as noble politicians. It's laughable some of the opinions and how mainstream medias propaganda machine has dictated them. As far as I see it it's the old divide and conquer being implimented and the further destruction of the pound. I'll not be voting that's for sure.

If the vote goes yes and future elected bodies screw it up (whether its 5 years or 25 years - beyond that I won't care as I'll be having difficulty remembering my own name......) will I get a vote to allow them back into the union?

Either way I'm looking forward to a few holidays in Scotland next year :)

I find a lot of the stuff getting bandied about both humorous and disturbing. "Scotland will be unable to defend itself against alien invasions or asteroids". Scottish people are not genetically programmed to run their own affairs". Whit? The divisive bile that gets gets spouted. The Daily Mail front page in Scotland had the headline "Don't rip apart our UK family." The non Scottish edition had "Why don't we tell the Scot's to shove off." That kind of bull**** doesn't help anyone and only inflames the rabid minority on both sides.

Nah, keep it off the forum, I've got loads of friends down south and on here and don't want stupid arguments inflamed by misleading propaganda from any side changing that. I'm me. I will not turn into a blue painted kilted child eater overnight. I'll still be the same ant hating wine sipping Corrado owner I have always been.

I wouldnt post in this thread going on the basis that i dont feel i know enough , at all !!

But saying that i have been following it in the van and on the news on tv but out of all that i have heard losing the union jack is the saddest thing about all this

I think anyone who uses facebook shouldn't be allowed a vote as they don't really understand these things.

I think anyone who uses facebook shouldn't be allowed a vote as they don't really understand these things.

Hail hail to that, everyone on there appears to be an expert all of a sudden lol.