pbradley98

Dash mount cup holder

Hey All,

Been meaning to do this for ages but only recently got round to finishing it!

Occasionally I've wanted a cupholder, but didn't like the position of the widely available rear ashtray mod, hence thought I'd have a go at incorporating one into the dahs ashtray given I don't use if for anything else. Took a lot of "fine tuning" to work out exactly how to do it to ensure that the front cover would still shut whilst the cup holder cassette still being far enough forward to allow it to pop out far enough!

Uses a A4 dash cupholder that has the front fascia removed and then very slightly trimmed to remove some of the excess material that was catching on the ash tray front cover. Did need a slight mod also to the lower screw mounting point where the ashtray unit fixes into the dashboard, but aside from that can be unscrewed and replaced with the original ashtray.

So, in case anyone else fancies doing it, it can be done but takes a lot longer than the rear ashtray conversion!

Cheers

Phil

That's spot on, I've been thinking about doing something simular myself as like you I don't use the ashtray... I guess the price of A4 cup holders has just shot up...lol

Rog.

Nice! Thinking outside the box there :) can't live without cup holders in mine now, although i fitted some mk4 twin holders in mine

This looks brilliant!

Any chance of the part number from the cup holder you used? I need this in mine and should be able to find out what deal I can do for the forum :)

Brilliant! Can see this being a popular modification :)

I suspect a single MK4 Golf cup holder (from the rear of the console) will also be a goer too and be more readilly available too

Great mod. I was looking at doing a similar thing with a Sharan cup holder but this looks much neater. I've got a rear ashtray cup holder and it's pretty much useless for me, I use it as an air freshener holder.

MK4 rear is actually a 2 cup holder, the console is early Corrado, I've no idea how much room there is behind the console for anything that will hang out of the back?

F8D39EAA-FF96-4670-90EA-CBE6DF0138B1_zpsnddiayyr.jpg

7022E065-E9E4-4E76-A95C-ECFC56ABA556_zpsqaajdgkg.jpg

42A9656D-B26B-4BAA-B264-A991999C4F86_zpsczfjtiqx.jpg

MK4 front cup holder in the cubby hole

239C82DD-7B2C-4F95-B7BE-BFB6EBE47F89_zpswgncprzs.jpg

5156C961-AA8E-4D2C-95AA-B27D38CD2F5B_zps3143tqio.jpg

BC25FA85-B89C-4CB5-B8B1-372A7EEC2C75_zps6iy8a7s6.jpg

HTH

Edited by Dox

Wow hadn't realised there would be this much interest! Appreciate all the comments.

I'll put together more of a guide as to what I did but will be a week or two before I get some time to do this.

Hey All,

Been meaning to do this for ages but only recently got round to finishing it!

Occasionally I've wanted a cupholder, but didn't like the position of the widely available rear ashtray mod, hence thought I'd have a go at incorporating one into the dahs ashtray given I don't use if for anything else. Took a lot of "fine tuning" to work out exactly how to do it to ensure that the front cover would still shut whilst the cup holder cassette still being far enough forward to allow it to pop out far enough!

Uses a A4 dash cupholder that has the front fascia removed and then very slightly trimmed to remove some of the excess material that was catching on the ash tray front cover. Did need a slight mod also to the lower screw mounting point where the ashtray unit fixes into the dashboard, but aside from that can be unscrewed and replaced with the original ashtray.

So, in case anyone else fancies doing it, it can be done but takes a lot longer than the rear ashtray conversion!

Cheers

Phil

If I was going to do this (and I'm not - I don't drink in the car) I'd want to cover the diagnostic port under the gaitor surround to keep fluids out of it.

Nice and neat, very well done

Later mk4 ones fit above with a bit of jiggery pokery. Ignore the fact that it covers a bit of my screen when in use :lol:

WP_20140423_002_zps3222d829.jpg

e4b204151cf71eb3dca3cbc22a8ae783_zpsc042513f.jpg

Later mk4 ones fit above with a bit of jiggery pokery. Ignore the fact that it covers a bit of my screen when in use :lol:

WP_20140423_002_zps3222d829.jpg

e4b204151cf71eb3dca3cbc22a8ae783_zpsc042513f.jpg

That dash is impressive!

I understand these 'pop-out' cup holders are nice & like the ashtray version, good work.

however, I thought I would share my cup holder which is a cracking fit for many size receptacles, requires zero modifications, has no potential spill issues & doesn't get in the way of anything..... ;)

I understand these 'pop-out' cup holders are nice & like the ashtray version, good work.

however, I thought I would share my cup holder which is a cracking fit for many size receptacles, requires zero modifications, has no potential spill issues & doesn't get in the way of anything..... ;)

Where did you get this from?