MDMTechnik

VR6 Storm full restoration

Glad your getting back to this, such a great build and was wondering what had happened. :thumbleft:

This was always the build to watch, glad to hear you are going to get back into it. If you have some spare enthusiasm could do with it for mine.

Woohoo. Look forward to seeing some more updates. This was/is an awesome project.

26 minutes ago, Dox said:

Bump for Jim Bowen

Be interesting to know is the car complete and still with the owner. 

Still with owner, at least is pictured in his magazine adverts and on his website for his business. MDM Techknic in Bucks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 4/13/2020 at 11:21 AM, Keyo said:

Be interesting to know is the car complete and still with the owner. 

Yes still with me, hasn't been touched in over 2 years but need to get it done. 

On 4/13/2020 at 8:54 PM, Purplebaghera said:

Still with owner, at least is pictured in his magazine adverts and on his website for his business. MDM Techknic in Bucks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is not my Corrado, that is a customers VR6 which I look after. 

Spent 6 hours on the corrado today, most I've spent on it in over 2 years. 

Just seem to run into problems though.

Stripped down old doors to find window regulators broken, hours searching the internet and nothing available. Even contacted heritage VW parts Germany. Guess I will have to repair. 

I am also scrapping the ODB2 route and going stand alone management with full custom engine wiring loom. This means it will be future proof in case I go mad in a few years and swap the engine for a R32 and turbo it. 

Should have doors built up tomorrow, tailgate on, spoiler fitted and wiring loom started. 

I was planning to attack the Corrado during the whole of December but loads of work has only meant starting back on it today. 

Plus I have another project which is just as big as this.

7 hours ago, MDMTechnik said:

Spent 6 hours on the corrado today, most I've spent on it in over 2 years. 

Just seem to run into problems though.

Stripped down old doors to find window regulators broken, hours searching the internet and nothing available. Even contacted heritage VW parts Germany. Guess I will have to repair. 

I am also scrapping the ODB2 route and going stand alone management with full custom engine wiring loom. This means it will be future proof in case I go mad in a few years and swap the engine for a R32 and turbo it. 

Should have doors built up tomorrow, tailgate on, spoiler fitted and wiring loom started. 

I was planning to attack the Corrado during the whole of December but loads of work has only meant starting back on it today. 

Plus I have another project which is just as big as this.

Ok just a quick check on German classics and it shows the manual ones available but not the auto. 

https://www.volkswagen-classic-parts.de/en/fensterheber-3a2b24.html

https://www.volkswagen-classic-parts.de/en/fenstheber-39761b.html

Edited by Keyo

3 hours ago, Keyo said:

Ok just a quick check on German classics and it shows the manual ones available but not the auto. 

https://www.volkswagen-classic-parts.de/en/fensterheber-3a2b24.html

https://www.volkswagen-classic-parts.de/en/fenstheber-39761b.html

Yes it is only the manual ones I have found aswell.

I was going to remove the plastic bits, get them scanned and 3D printed but you cant even take it apart without cutting the cable. 

What's wrong with yours? If the motor is seized but everything else is ok there is a slight chance you could free them up.

ARZ Tuning used to sell a US made retrofit kit, but not sure if they still do - it might be worth checking with them or searching some of the US sites for more info.

Most people just buy a second hand one and take their chances - that's what I had to do for my driver's side one.

I thought Classic Parts still had the passenger side mech in stock, but it wasn't cheap, over 200 plus postage.

1 minute ago, fendervg said:

What's wrong with yours? If the motor is seized but everything else is ok there is a slight chance you could free them up.

ARZ Tuning used to sell a US made retrofit kit, but not sure if they still do - it might be worth checking with them or searching some of the US sites for more info.

Most people just buy a second hand one and take their chances - that's what I had to do for my driver's side one.

I thought Classic Parts still had the passenger side mech in stock, but it wasn't cheap, over 200 plus postage.

The coloured plastic angled piece is broken which holds the outer cable in place. Motor etc is fine. 

15 minutes ago, MDMTechnik said:

The coloured plastic angled piece is broken which holds the outer cable in place. Motor etc is fine. 

Ah, they're a pain - I did see somewhere, but didn't save a link,  to a how to on repairing/replacing that part  - I guess the issue is that the whole thing comes as one unit only and the parts are not available individually. Could you get one off a broken motor unit or maybe there is another VAG mech that uses the same clip?

26 minutes ago, MDMTechnik said:

get a tiny u-bracket, drill a few holes in it and fix it to the top to hold the cable sheath in place.  The other thing i started doing was to make a similar profile with a nylon block.  Didnt complete it as i got a replacement regulator instead.  Think i've got some pics somewhere so i'll post up if i find them.

Repaired window regs and secured both sides so can't fail again. Literally no alternative option. Fully greased and tested, now just waiting for new bobbins so I can mount them.

Not much else achieved except 2 door handles fitted and 1 wing mirror. 

Should have tailgate mounted tomorrow and want to do full interior electrical check before I start fitting the stand alone engine management system.

20201216_192453.jpg

20201216_192448.jpg

20201216_192354.jpg

20201216_192331.jpg

20201216_192414.jpg

Missed this one before, this is great stuff. Amazing how the time slips by. Redoing the underside looks like a horrendously unpleasant task! Great to know it is all in perfect condition. I like the idea of hiding the wiring so will be interested to see how that turns out - I've no idea how some people seem to be able to hide all the wiring, pipe work and ancillaries! How are you planning on getting the wiring out of the chassis legs out of interest?

You're right about the custom exhausts droning. I have one, from Infinity, and whilst they have done a superb job with the look of it it does drone at, unfortunately, motorway cruising speed. Rest of the time it sounds quite good. Can you buy the Militek parts separately? Wondering whether I can just buy the back box and maybe keep the rest of the system as is.

Also is that the plastic cam cover you have?