Geeba

Rescued White VR!

Ordered.. new Hella rad will be here Monday... any gotchas on thermostats ?

Test your current one once you've fitted the rad, fill with water, the block will need a good flushing anyway.

Warm up, top hose gets warm, bottom remains closed. Up to temp, both top and bottom hose hot, your stat is working as it should. Drain and refill with mixed coolant.

Stat stuck open both top and bottom hoses warm up at the same time, stat stuck closed, bottom hose never gets hot = replace the stat

Is your radiator support bracket still solid? It might be worth getting this sandblasted and powder coated while the radiator is out.

Another thumbs up for the Hella one. The OE ones VW were selling towards the end were Denso Marston and were really decent.. but the Hella one does work fine! :)

Great read and great to see so much perseverance in getting the engine running!

If you haven't already decided how to change the radiator then I would consider whipping the front end off if I were you. Not only will it allow you an opportunity to sort out the inevitable headlight screw issues (one really awkward screw at the back of each headlight), it'll also allow you much easier access to the radiator and bits behind the rad once it's all off. Changing the thermostat will be far easier with the front end off too (it's tight with it on) and you can also check things like the crack pipe and oil cooler pipework etc. Just something to consider.

Cheers

Tom

Is your radiator support bracket still solid? It might be worth getting this sandblasted and powder coated while the radiator is out.

Hi Mark, yeah my radiator support has been completely reclaimed by mother earth unfortunately, I've got a second hand one coming from G60knight hopefully soon ;) - plan is to get that powdercoated or even hot dipped galvanised.

Great read and great to see so much perseverance in getting the engine running!

If you haven't already decided how to change the radiator then I would consider whipping the front end off if I were you. Not only will it allow you an opportunity to sort out the inevitable headlight screw issues (one really awkward screw at the back of each headlight), it'll also allow you much easier access to the radiator and bits behind the rad once it's all off. Changing the thermostat will be far easier with the front end off too (it's tight with it on) and you can also check things like the crack pipe and oil cooler pipework etc. Just something to consider.

Cheers

Tom

Thanks Tom - hopefully the new rad will be here this week, the awkward headlight screww.. is it just an access issue or do I need to bathe it in WD40 for a week prior? - any pointers on the crack pipe?

Definitely worth doing the above, otherwise you will probably break the back of your headlight[ATTACH]85378[/ATTACH]

It is the fixing lower down at the back that is a SWINE

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Yep the plusgas is great. I need to add that to the shopping list, unfortunately I have 5ltrs of Duck Oil donated by the retired nieghbour next door which I've been dispensing into squirty bottles :(

From memory it's just the 2 top screws on the slam panel..

And one deep down at the bottom of the headlight. Long screw driver... problem comes when this is rusty

Cheers fellas, I'll get the screws soaked up at lunchtime ;)

Pretty quiet weekend on the VR, I got the sunroof removed and gave it a service, cleaned and re-lubed everything that moved, seems to slide nicely now, not holding my breath on it lasting thou. I imagine it will just snap at some point.

The mould and damp had made it to the inside of the sunroof, so as well as a good grease I gave the inside a coat of polish and some sound deadening matts which made a huge difference... it went from a clang to thud - I did the matts the way we used to do them in the body shop... not sure why people seem to coat the whole floor and doors with this stuff.. it was always just used for pannel druming, anyway I can recomend a couple in the sunroof ;) thats all back and fitted, just needs adjusting to close flush again.

I got the Mop and the 3M Fast cut out too... paint on the sunroof now looks like the whole car will soon! :D

That looks great. I'm sure the correct sunroof alignment is 1mm down at the front. Maybe 2mm at the rear but Google it.

Cressa

Front end is pretty easy to remove thankfully. Also helps now that bonnet cable and the associated 'nipple' or trumpet used at the end of the cable is also now available. Though it's possible to just leave that connected and swing the whole slam panel away at the front, leaving the cable connected if you don't want to risk removing it.

I'm pondering here also whether you even need to remove the headlights even.. pretty sure you can just disconnect them and remove the slam panel as a whole with them in place? Someone can correct me on that one though!

Hmmm I'm struggling to get the sunroof trim back in place and subsiquently its stopping the sun roof opening.... any pointers?

I can see no way of this going back on..... two thin metal tags have both broken off on both sides.... getting the feeling I should of left this alone....

Edited by Geeba

WANTED!

New sunroof

Future advice... leave sunroof alone... enjoy till it inevitably breaks... fit new one...

I'm gutted delfinis.... I was trying to get the trim back in... the roof was all in and setup... the trim just wouldnt go back in place, it slid back and jammed it everytime. It came out with a good tug backwards so I gave it a knock forward, then both the chrome lifters snapped off.

What are my options?

What fits? - I wanted to keep it OE so dont really want Passat items... would be handy if I could get one with the trim in it, I dont want to go through that again, it almost ended up with a gallon of petrol over it!

I'm gutted delfinis.... I was trying to get the trim back in... the roof was all in and setup... the trim just wouldnt go back in place, it slid back and jammed it everytime. It came out with a good tug backwards so I gave it a knock forward, then both the chrome lifters snapped off.

What are my options?

What fits? - I wanted to keep it OE so dont really want Passat items... would be handy if I could get one with the trim in it, I dont want to go through that again, it almost ended up with a gallon of petrol over it!

I feel your pain... watching Ed china do the sunroof on the corrado on wheeler dealers has put me off playing with sunroof until their bust. You may find the episode on you tube.

Not an expert on sunroofs sorry...

Over to the wise forum.

If its the bit with the lifting arms for the inner trim, you're out of luck. You can use every part from a Mk3 Golf aside from them.

Unless you can find one off a breaker or one for sale either complete or a seller prepared to strip it for you, you've not got much choice I'm afraid. Its a pain stripping it all down but certainly do-able so its up to you tbh mate.

Edit, yeah just seen your pics and those are the lifting parts for the interior trim..............

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news!

The mk3 Golf one fits but has a different profile, so curves a little more. The Passat is a straight fit, and I think one from the Seat Ibiza of the same era is also a perfect swap. Have a search, its been mentioned before and there may well be some pics. These are all glass moonroofs though. I think the Passat is the only hard top one, so that or a replacement (SH) Corrado one is your only option.

Both pretty thin on the ground though so you pay for that..........

I fitted a mk3 golf to mine and created brackets so it would slide the shade back. But even that broke.

So I cannibalised them both and managed to repair the corrado one as it was only the usual break where the parts join the cable. I wanted to keep it OE. Still got the mk3 golf motor on as some T##T sold me a non working Corrado one. Aghh.

Give it time and you will get the spares you need. You have certainly had lots of patience to get it where it is today.

Broken cassette on ebay but finishes in 45 min. .but in Devon, only a fiver. ..