1200 bandit

What job do you have

I think it is human nature to feel like you would like to do something else or want some new skills. Although it feels like a negative at times, knowing you aren't content is the best catalyst for change. Sometimes just changing the specific area in your current sector can make a world of difference.

There have been a number of times in my life where I thought I may have found "the thing that makes me tick".

Personally I have been resting on my laurels for the last six months after a bit of good fortune that has allowed me to look very differently on things. I've stared a few new ventures in a few different areas, one of which I hope to share soon as it will be relevant.

Best thing I've learnt... never let anyone make you doubt yourself.

Thanks bit far north for you guys to deliver in the south but will look you up. Couple of possibilities at the moment veka halo from direct trade ltd, eurocell. Any thoughts on theses. Are Yale shoot bolts really required, going to be anthracite grey foil wrap. Had various quotes from double glazing companies of about 6 - 8 k. Will buy trade and do it myself for about 3.5k. Aiming for 1 window a day. I've done a back door last year and read all the fensa stuff. So will have to get building control to check installation.

I'm favouring eurocell as there is a local outlet, and the new development in our village who's windows all have eurocell.

I've measured windows about 5 times now :) might have one last check....measure twice and alll that.

Both supplies seem to have a three week lead time. Just enough time for me to get my kitchen back together. It's in a spray shop at the moment.

Sounds like a fair price and veka is a decent system obviously sizes and specs can make a difference, our windows don't have shoot bolts but they maybe just use a different lock rail which requires shoot bolts to meet security specs

As long as you fit them plumb and in square then pack the glass correctly (toe and heel any openers) then you will be fine

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Sounds like a fair price and veka is a decent system obviously sizes and specs can make a difference, our windows don't have shoot bolts but they maybe just use a different lock rail which requires shoot bolts to meet security specs

As long as you fit them plumb and in square then pack the glass correctly (toe and heel any openers) then you will be fine

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Thanks... yup been reading up on how to toe and heel. Quite confident about it now... just need to hire a tower for up top.

Sometimes I really love my job,

todays mission - drive a McLaren Senna around the track at Millbrook :) (I just wish they had made the seats wider)

Sometimes I really love my job,

todays mission - drive a McLaren Senna around the track at Millbrook :) (I just wish they had made the seats wider)

Very jealous, saw the photographs of this beast yesterday!

Very nice days work but l think is no all just about ragging a car around a track

And my days work fitting a turbo to a traffic van

Business Travel Consultant. For my sins....... and no more so than this afternoon. Need alcohol. Soon.

Work for a classic Volkswagen restoration company, mainly doing split screen and bay window vans, although the odd Beetle sneaks in.

Trained as a paint sprayer but do pretty much everything to do with crusty old vans.

Work for a classic Volkswagen restoration company, mainly doing split screen and bay window vans, although the odd Beetle sneaks in.

Trained as a paint sprayer but do pretty much everything to do with crusty old vans.

That to me is a dream job

That to me is a dream job

My dream job would be a bed tester

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My dream job would be a bed tester

With or without someone? 🤩

Not a singel aircraft technician?

I used to work in a steel warehouse/supply for industries.. a boring and dirty job.

Now im in school trying to become a mechanical engineer... but my dream of being a aircraft technicians may come to light because my engineering study isnt going that well :/

So this autumn I will change school and start to become a technicians insteed.

Its the damn mechanics of materials that I cant get my head around.

With or without someone? 🤩

Not a singel aircraft technician?

I used to work in a steel warehouse/supply for industries.. a boring and dirty job.

Now im in school trying to become a mechanical engineer... but my dream of being a aircraft technicians may come to light because my engineering study isnt going that well :/

So this autumn I will change school and start to become a technicians insteed.

Its the damn mechanics of materials that I cant get my head around.

SeanJaymo (no longer a Corrado owner) was an RAF Technician. Occasionally still pops on here but not heard from him in a while.

Well, I have wondered whether to post, so here goes.

Left school and did my apprenticeship as an electrician. Always kept in touch with that. Although for the last 20+ years I've been a Fireman. Gave me time to work on previous cars, but definitely struggling financially with the Corrado.

Just like the rest of us I suppose.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Well, I have wondered whether to post, so here goes.

Left school and did my apprenticeship as an electrician. Always kept in touch with that. Although for the last 20+ years I've been a Fireman. Gave me time to work on previous cars, but definitely struggling financially with the Corrado.

Just like the rest of us I suppose.

Good on you Cressa. I'm in the Forces and did Op Fresco back in 2001 (BA Rescue Team). Was one of the best times of my career, and have massive respect for what you do on a daily basis. :thumbleft:

It's great times. Unfortunately someone's misery is my challenge and enjoyment!!. As with most jobs the Beauracrats and Red tape create difficulty.

Glad you enjoyed your course tho. I've got a few ex forces mates that are in the job and previously did fire related courses

I work in a company that sells furniture (if anyone is interested - Housera). Therefore, if any of you have any questions in terms of the quality of furniture and good companies, you can feel free to write to me)))

Has anyone changed career paths later on in life? How do you do it - can't do apprenticeships, join the forces etc. I'm 36, have a decent job but work in an office. I vowed to myself I'd get out by the time I'm 40-45 and do something active or with my hands.

I'd love to do something with my interets: cars - restoration, aeroplanes - technician/mechanic, national park warden, maybe cycling (probably not though) related. I like the satisfaction of doing a job and being able to stand back and admire, whether that's restoring somehting or fixing something. Although I get that to some extent in my office role (I create reporting and planning soltuions) I just don't want to be stuck in an office forever and certainly don't want to climb any further up the management pole (hate the politics and less hands on).

I left the motor trade back in 2010 at nearly 40 years old and went into asbestos removal (the money is the best I have ever earned). I was lucky in the fact that I had a friend in the business who was willing to take me on as a newbie and train me up doing an office role and minor works, rather than jobs that required HSE notification.

Lasted a couple of years doing this(the office side of things was not for me), but the motor trade lured me back into it's dark twisted web, and whilst my current wages aren't anything to write home about, job satisfaction and stress levels are much better.

I left the motor trade back in 2010 at nearly 40 years old and went into asbestos removal (the money is the best I have ever earned). I was lucky in the fact that I had a friend in the business who was willing to take me on as a newbie and train me up doing an office role and minor works, rather than jobs that required HSE notification.

Lasted a couple of years doing this(the office side of things was not for me), but the motor trade lured me back into it's dark twisted web, and whilst my current wages aren't anything to write home about, job satisfaction and stress levels are much better.

I use to do scaffolding for Asbestos removal. One of the worst scaffoldings I ever did was at Jaguar solihull, I had to erect a suspended scaffolding slung/suspended off the roof steels above the boiler room / power station all the steels were covered in 50 years worth off oil and debris . Was there for a month and lost a stone and half in weight , it was 30 to 40 degrees in there and had to wear a proper breathing mask as the scaffolding was designed for removing brown asbestos, also had to wrap the whole scaffolding to make it airtight so the asbestos could not contaminate the factory floor. It was one of the worst jobs alongside council flat 20 storys and power station shut downs, that made me decide to start my own firm so I could choose what sort of work I did and who with. Now been going for 14 years and do alot for heritage, not long did the queen Victoria statue and the oldest working steam engine in the World at the Millenium museum the Smethwick. However after been a scaffolder for over 25 years and shiffitng 3 tons of gear manually every day it's fair to Say my body aches like a permanent chisel sinking into your joints.The hardest thing is getting scaffolders the young generation just don't want to graft and its five thousand pounds to train someone and they can just walk away once trained and your back to square one.

Also the liability is huge working at heights, running trucks, employee safety and public, storage yard rent. high lbour costs. Now looking to get into fall capture netting as well, the riggers that do it tend to give less issues employing them then scaffolders and more like rope access lads then scaffies, and also less people doing it/ competition.

Edited by Keyo

Yeah, asbestos removal isn't glamorous. As part of my job, I had to do on site audits for our company, and the regulations have to be adhered to 100%. We were lucky, the half a dozen lads we had were spot on, but there were some out there(generally agency lads) that should've been kicked out of the trade despite having their certificates to say they were capable.

Glad I never had to do notifiable work as an operative 🤨

I had an asbestos shed and the guy who came and took it away had a good litlle business that just did domestic removal. Always check if someone is liscenced. By law you are actually aloud to bury cement asbestos (low volume) in your garden but if you ever sold your property by law you would have to declare so not a good idea in my opinion ! To be honest apart from wearing the mask I thought the asbestos operatives had a quite an easy job compared to the scaffolding as only shiffting light bin bag sizes and lots of brakes.

The bags, or quite often large parcels could be quite heavy. Larger jobs had skips on site, but you needed to have a waste carriers license if taking it away in a van. Asbestos garage removal was fairly physical as I recall, as was unloading it from the van at the other end for disposal. Stripping out artex ceilings from houses was another favourite. Lugging bags of plasterboard always kept me fit and active 😄

I know one guy that what I call a taking it easy job suitable for guys who's body are basically botched through a career of trade work, he use to go around and collect just a bag a site from where British gas Boiler installers would leave a bag of asbestos after doing a boiler exchange, that was a very nice job, he had about 8 collections a day. To be honest I compare most lifting materials to my occupation as lightweight and envious. Shed guy broke it down into bags and wheel barrow so not that bad at all. I think the real hard thing about asbestos removal is wearing the PPE mask as that gets some getting use to when working in a hot area and all the smogging up , I could barely see anything working on the slippery steels, thankfully once the scaffold was erect the asbestos operatives had a very nice platform to stand on and carry out their work safely.

Edited by Keyo