Keyo

Black magic returns home

52 minutes ago, ABV-VR6 said:

Yes they are very expensive new but barely used on Yahoo Japan they are affordable! I've seen a nice set "9/10" a couple of months ago going for $800 Canadian,  520 British Pounds

Worth it for £520 agreed. 

Ok not corrado related but thought I would post some pictures of the dreaded taking off the bumpers, arch trims and sills off a MK2 golf GTI 30 years old. The car was in very good condition bar a couple of cracked arch trims and a scab on the tailgate next to the  rear wiper jet. Also had a crack where the door hinge meets the door and a scab which I was aware of.   The pictures will explain better than words what they found.  There was one unexpected bow in the sill after they took a sill trim off and was an expected large kerb collision in a multistory car park grrrr.  After the car paint had cured stone chap and underseal to the whole underside including the external arches which are covered buy the plastic arch trims. 

I highly recommend the body shop . He himself has owned a MK2 golf for 20 years and a present has a road going race track Mk2 golf with a VR pumping  out 400 + BHP with forged Internals. His right hand man has a Blackberry Corrado VR with a supercharger and is actually a member on here. It's nice to take it somewhere that know how the trims come off the car and glass . Limits cracked trims etc and also they ordered additional parts I missed out like sill decals which I appreciated as most would not bother. If anyone wants the contact details of the shop PM me as I have not asked his permission to post his details.  Job took 80 hours labour.  They supplied me over 50 photos without me asking of work in progress. 

Car has already been to stealth for head gasket, full geomaterics, fuel lines, sensors and a host of other things. 

thumbnail?appId=YMailNorrin

thumbnail?appId=YMailNorrinthumbnail?appId=YMailNorrinthumbnail?appId=YMailNorrinthumbnail?appId=YMailNorrinthumbnail?appId=YMailNorrinthumbnail?appId=YMailNorrin

thumbnail?appId=YMailNorrinthumbnail?appId=YMailNorrinthumbnail?appId=YMailNorrin

thumbnail?appId=YMailNorrinthumbnail?appId=YMailNorrinthumbnail?appId=YMailNorrinthumbnail?appId=YMailNorrinthumbnail?appId=YMailNorrinthumbnail?appId=YMailNorrinthumbnail?appId=YMailNorrinthumbnail?appId=YMailNorrinthumbnail?appId=YMailNorrinthumbnail?appId=YMailNorrinthumbnail?appId=YMailNorrinthumbnail?appId=YMailNorrinthumbnail?appId=YMailNorrinthumbnail?appId=YMailNorrinthumbnail?appId=YMailNorrinthumbnail?appId=YMailNorrinthumbnail?appId=YMailNorrinthumbnail?appId=YMailNorrinthumbnail?appId=YMailNorrinimage.png

Edited by Keyo

Both cars look amazing,you must be really pleased with the attention to detail,I know which is my favourite 😉

9 hours ago, Nmdsec said:

Both cars look amazing,you must be really pleased with the attention to detail,I know which is my favourite 😉

Thanks chap the thought of going through the renovations again turns my stomach, the first day I got the golf back from the body shop no kidding a 60 something lady nearly rear ended me, she was not  paying attention and I could see her in my mirror, literally brakes   screeching and a foot away, the next turning I pulled over  because I did not trust her driving and gave her the look of utter disgrace and a lack of respect. 

Is the Mk2 golf giving any previous owners an itch to getting in to one again ? 

Edited by Keyo

OMG mate, these are so nice! Good for you! And that GTI 16V so nice in black, mine was white.
It's always at that time, first day and someone obnoxious almost ruins the whole thing...  You were lucky back then. I have to say that scares me too. I'm already stressing out about getting a rock in my windshield and the car won't be on the road for years lol. Can't find a windshield here anymore...

I'll take non Corrado updates anytime! Cheers

10 hours ago, ABV-VR6 said:

OMG mate, these are so nice! Good for you! And that GTI 16V so nice in black, mine was white.
It's always at that time, first day and someone obnoxious almost ruins the whole thing...  You were lucky back then. I have to say that scares me too. I'm already stressing out about getting a rock in my windshield and the car won't be on the road for years lol. Can't find a windshield here anymore...

I'll take non Corrado updates anytime! Cheers

Thanks mate much appreciated. One thing I find bizarre is even though the Corrado is built better then the golf it don't half rattle in the interior cabin of a Rado, all the videos  that I see of them you can hear the cabin rattling- the interior 100 percent in a Mk2 golf is less ratley . 

Edited by Keyo

3 hours ago, Keyo said:

Thanks mate much appreciated. One thing I find bizarre is even though the Corrado is built better then the golf it don't half rattle in the interior cabin of a Rado, all the videos  that I see of them you can hear the cabin rattling- the interior 100 percent in a Mk2 golf is less ratley . 

yep absolutely.  I have been chasing the rattles in my car for about 10 years now and there are still loads there - one is the damn plastic strip on top of the doorcard that i cant find a proper solution for.

Anyway, your cars do look absolutely great - nice touch to show a video as well as some pics.

1 hour ago, fla said:

yep absolutely.  I have been chasing the rattles in my car for about 10 years now and there are still loads there - one is the damn plastic strip on top of the doorcard that i cant find a proper solution for.

Anyway, your cars do look absolutely great - nice touch to show a video as well as some pics.

Thanks Fla hope all is well mate. Ok  spoke to Vince on Monday about the spark plugs and he hates NGK spark plugs as he said he has had over 70 cars in his garage for misfiring and the diagnosis was a premature failed NGK plug so he only uses Bosch. 

If you watch the campaign model on the car guys review on youtube the Rado rattles more then the Talbot sunbeam stripped out ha !

Edited by Keyo

Handbrake trims look not so luxury coupe on a Corrado and very plastic and also getting a hard to find part I have heard MK4 golf leather handbrake trims fit like a glove so purchased one of these in good used condition for a tenner inc postage to test fit.  Part number 1J0711461A

LM8Y7km3OAiY8JdH5YIMAXNKdK82QAAAA=

image.jpeg

Edited by Keyo

You can replace the whole handbrake with a MK4 Golf with minor mods iirc. I had one a few years ago but decided against it in the end after finding a decent beige trim.

Nice! Let us know how it goes! I feel like I've seen an old post on this forum explaining how to do the MK4 e-brake swap?
But yeah,  that plastic e-brake cover looks pretty cheap. Back in the days (about 16/20 years ago) I had created a genuine leather e-brake cover for Corrados that could be installed over the plastic cover.  After a lot of tweaking and time I got it just right and started selling them on eBay. I sold over 500 of my kits world wide! I should check to see if I still have the pattern to make one for my car!
Anyways, keep us posted!

12 hours ago, Keyo said:

This would look cool I reckon if you put it in the car somewhere that made it look stock. 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CORRADO-VDO-Clock-52mm-Black-Cockpit-V370021/182612165075?epid=515858694&hash=item2a848881d3:g:NFgAAOSwO~xaqByn

I reckon it would look great in the air vent at the drivers side. SWGmotorsport do a replacement pod that fits there 👌

Edited by Cressa
Spelling

Just now, Cressa said:

I reckon it would look great in the air vent at the drivers side. SWGmotorsport do a replacement pod that fits their 👌

Tempting, good to know swg do one - great when you can just swop something out for the original if you ever sell the car or return to stock.  

On 3/27/2020 at 3:10 PM, Keyo said:

Handbrake trims look not so luxury coupe on a Corrado and very plastic and also getting a hard to find part I have heard MK4 golf leather handbrake trims fit like a glove so purchased one of these in good used condition for a tenner inc postage to test fit.  Part number 1J0711461A

LM8Y7km3OAiY8JdH5YIMAXNKdK82QAAAA=

image.jpeg

Looks the part - from the looks of it this would replace the trim along the top, all the way to the tip of the handle, so doing away with the current handle in a one-piece kind of design.

Interested to see how you get on with the test fit.

25 minutes ago, fendervg said:

Looks the part - from the looks of it this would replace the trim along the top, all the way to the tip of the handle, so doing away with the current handle in a one-piece kind of design.

Interested to see how you get on with the test fit.

Ill test fit when I get the car back as  its away at the moment getting the engine sorted. You can still get them new from classics but very expensive but should be plenty of second hand ones on the market. 

Yeah, new ones seem to be 80-150 euro depending on where you look. Spotted a grey one as well, but with the VW grey you always need to be careful of exactly what shade you get as they sometimes don't match well, and anyway I reckon the black would probably look better.

Got some photos off Vince, Engine out. 

The bores were worn and were very polished - so needed doing for sure. Also one of the alternators brackets were snapped ! Need to replace bottom and top radiator hose as that damn Topran oil cooler failure the oil has bloated them - only a year old grrrr. Crack pipe was ready to drop off.   

Very happy with the body work in the engine bay now its all visible with the engine removed. 

Only getting some parts of the engine powder coated because some parts if powder coated can come off with the heat and damage parts. Other parts will be using manifold silver spray paint. 

Vince will be giving me a guide to breaking in the engine - upto  2700 and certain revs - will post this when I have the details. 

Pictures attached. 

eng1.jpg

eng2.jpg

eng3.jpg

Edited by Keyo

Looking promising Keyo! Can't wait to see once done and I'm sure you too! I would definitely like to hear about the breaking procedure. 

Sorry to hear about the topran oil cooler and thanks to let us know. I'll be replacing mine so I won't go for that one for sure! Although I'm debating if I should install a mocal instead. 

Looking at the pictures, you have ABS deleted. I was looking into parts this week to do the conversion and both my parts supplier here can't get the reservoir and booster brake. Only parts I found were master cylinder and proportioning valve... Anyways are you pleased with the conversion? 

Cheers mate 

Hi Chap, 

The ABS is still installed mate. its hiding behind the coolant bottle to the lower left,  you can see the brake lines entering it. Im sure some have deleted it but I think its a MOT failure if you do that in the UK, however when a car becomes 40 years old in the UK you do not need a MOT inspection or pay tax.  Most people upgrade to a MK3 Teves abs system I believe. Im sure someone on here could tell you the benefits,  I'm not clued up on it. 

Edited by Keyo

Thanks mate for the details. I guess it's confusing because your reservoir is on the opposite side of mine. My reservoir sits on top of the ABS apparatus. Probably because of the RHD steering column, needed more space? 

Yes, i guess with MOT it's a different ball game! I have no problem that I k ow of with the ABS, I just thought while the engine was out that it would be a good time to remove it before I have problems with it in the future. Seems like it's a common thing... Maybe I'll just leave as is... 

Keep us posted! What's the ETA on the car mate? 

4 hours ago, ABV-VR6 said:

Thanks mate for the details. I guess it's confusing because your reservoir is on the opposite side of mine. My reservoir sits on top of the ABS apparatus. Probably because of the RHD steering column, needed more space? 

Yes, i guess with MOT it's a different ball game! I have no problem that I k ow of with the ABS, I just thought while the engine was out that it would be a good time to remove it before I have problems with it in the future. Seems like it's a common thing... Maybe I'll just leave as is... 

Keep us posted! What's the ETA on the car mate? 

Will do mate, be a good guess when ready but something to look forward to with all the bad stuff going on at the moment, cant wait to put on the motor sport alloys, should not be long now in till I have the caps and the alloys delivered from the powder coaters- went for factory silver.  Just need a set of of Recaro then and I will be happy I have created my ideal corrado.