Keyo

Black magic returns home

On 3/4/2020 at 2:04 PM, fendervg said:

Well at least it should be really solid and go like a rocket after that - what is the financial damage estimate for all that likely to be?

I need to start looking at chains and clutch myself, and a bit afraid to look too much into the engine condition - I've got 105k on mine, what mileage is on yours?

I've no smoke under acceleration or idle - just a bit of white when starting up until warm.

White just seems like condensation - there will be a lot nowadays!  And sometimes if the car is parked downhill, the water in the tailpipe takes a while to evaporate.  Looks worrying but isnt really. Just check your oil filler cap for mayo - just to rule out a potential head gasket failure.  If your car does frequent short trips this sometimes shows up the same way, but nothing a good hard drive wont cure!

Edited by fla

Good news on getting the engine rebuild Keyo, look forward to seeing progress. I reckon you'll be looking at 235-242 BHP ( i don't know why so accurate but 1 or 2 BHP is a lot on an NA engine so felt i should be in my guesses). Get a video of it on the rolling road,🙂

I made 220 with just cams, map and top end rebuild so with your shriek i reckon you'll be at least +15 to 22BHP extra. Sounds a nice combo with 268s and the shriek. I've got 263s but as Vince mentioned they're better for stock manifold.

Fen - you're looking at 400 for 263s 300 for a remap, 400 for a top end refurb and 900 for chains and clutch. Or you could just go for the chains. My car lasted to 150k on original chains but the tensioner was in bits. 

Yes mate great news but I have to admit was putting a scaffold up at my mates house today and he has a 996s in polar silver, getting a real itch for one again unfortunately, still a very common car compared to a Rado though ! 

Mmmm sounds nice, I like them with the gt3 kit.

I've gone the other way with my interests at the moment. Fancy an old MG or Triumph and want to learn welding. 

My mother had a brand new MG BGT in a rich light blue,  we use to fit 6 kids in there and my older brothers and sisters would hold on to our legs when we were sitting on the roof ha, true story believe it or not. From memory they broke down all the time and were really slidy in the ice. 

Edited by Keyo

Me on the right rubbing my ear. Lets say I got my unpractical taste for cars off my mother. 

MGB.jpg

Edited by Keyo

Ahhh haha cool l! My parents had an MGB GT too, but sadly sold it when I was 6 months old. Very disappointed in their lack of commitment!!

They use to have them MG V8 s knocking about , pretty sure they would of been lethal in the wrong hands. 

Thought I would share some information and the new parts I have gathered for a front bumper and rear bumper take off /inspection of body work and refurbishment. 

Picture illustrates new OE VW  parts 

Front

70mm Spoonfed splitter + bolts/speed nuts

Splitter Iron (purchased the one but last in stock (now obsolete)

x1 right bumper bracket / bolts / x10  plastic triangle clips /wing nuts

Rear 

X2 bumper brackets +bolts + plastic round corner clips/ X9 plastic triangle clips 

New bumper Heat shield powder coated + rivets. 

I will be powder coating x1 left front  bumper bracket as obsolete + powder coating front and rear bumper Irons + new splitter Iron for protection 

Basically now obsolete / Left front bumper bracket +Front splitter Iron + X5 front splitter bolts N90433801 (been told these will be available soon off another member on here )  Two front corner bumper housing plastic brackets 535 807 193 + 535 807 194

bump2.jpg

bump1.jpg

bump3.jpg

Edited by Keyo

Looks like you've had to hand over a nice bit of cash to Heritage/Classics and various eBay sellers! Just keep your fingers crossed that you don't have a tip or rear end after fitting this lot - would break my heart. TBH, having had the bumpers off several times, most of it tends to be in quite good condition unless bits are missing or heavy corrosion sets in. The 70mm splitter is the best compromise in terms of looks vs usability, so a good choice. I don't know what the molding is like now, but when I bought mine I had to widen and tidy up some of the mounting holes to get  a good fit, so worth checking this.

Yeah I saw a Youtube video and the chap was complaining about the fit of the Spoonfed splitter, I actually got it secondhand off ebay new unused for £150.00 so just hope its all Ok. The parts I take of will be taken to the powder coaters as well and stored as spares. I think the splitter Iron can rot quite badly as it has no powder coating from factory-same as the rear bumper heat shield . What I have notice is on a stock splitter it has 5 fixings but on a Spoonfed it has 6 so I had to order another speenut from classics and bolt, well annoying ha !

Edited by Keyo

Just noticed it does not appear like Spoonfed items are for sale at Heritage anymore- could be wrong be I couldn't see the splitters for sale. Wonder what happened there then. 

Saw this and thought, I'd better check mine. Guess what, I've lost my splitter iron! I've no idea where its gone, it was quite distorted and only pushed in place when I transported the car so can only conclude its come off in transport. The splitter is just held on by the outer two bolts that don't go through the iron.... bugger!

Do you need one mate can ask a couple of people on facebook for you that will have a second hand one. 

All this info you've collected and knowledge you have about parts and there sources need to go in some sort of Keyo wiki? Where you can update with the ever more new finds?

Amazing the stuff you keep finding and sharing

45 minutes ago, Nmdsec said:

Can you still get them new ?

Nio mate I got the last but one a few months back and posted that there was one left, so I guess another member snatched up the last one  quickly.  There is a Latvian firm on ebay that sells mostly classic parts but they do seem to have the odd part that even classics do not have. Almost like they have a warehouse with some new old stock items. 

Edited by Keyo

1 hour ago, Dox said:

All this info you've collected and knowledge you have about parts and there sources need to go in some sort of Keyo wiki? Where you can update with the ever more new finds?

Amazing the stuff you keep finding and sharing

Thanks Dox I think it helps laying the parts out as they would sit on the car so people can understand how it all works and what is there without stripping the car. 

I could put a bit more effort and list the individual part numbers and a photo of each part. 

52 minutes ago, Keyo said:

Nio mate I got the last but one a few months back and posted that there was one left, so I guess another member snatched up the last one  quickly.  There is a Latvian firm on ebay that sells mostly classic parts but they do seem to have the odd part that even classics do not have. Almost like they have a warehouse with some new old stock items. 

Yeah I've bought one or two bits from them recently. Postage is a bit of a killer for small parts and takes an age to get here. Still waiting actually! Thanks for posting links, I'll keep my eye out.

Doesn’t look like the gear knobs coming off the firm you found, I’ve had a refund today. Have you heard anything Keyo 

6 hours ago, 1xshaunx1 said:

Doesn’t look like the gear knobs coming off the firm you found, I’ve had a refund today. Have you heard anything Keyo 

Sorry mate forgot to update. Same as refunded off paypal . What I can do though mate as I have a spare one of these is send you one in the post no problem. 

Take off the glass dome off the top and give it a good clean or a fine sandown with paper , get some double sided 3m clear tape and stick it on the decal and  then stick it to the underside of dome and then onto knob  Sorry only have the one spare folks.  If members really want one I can ask a member if he wants to make more as he did it as a favour for me to be honest. 

I could of done a better job fitting mine as left some fingerprints under the plastic dome ha , alcohol wipes that what you need. 

pic1.jpg

pic2.jpg

Edited by Keyo

Thanks for your kind offer Keyo but I’ll leave mine as it is for now mate, it isn’t too bad, just fancied a new one, as you do. I didn’t need it I just wanted it.