Keyo

Black magic returns home

The VIN numbers weren't sequential for some reason. There is no rhyme or reason for the order they came out in, which is why Storm models are so difficult to confirm.

Edited by seanl82

7 hours ago, seanl82 said:

The VIN numbers weren't sequencial for some reason. There is no rhyme or reason for the order they came out in, which is why Storm models are so difficult to confirm.

My understanding of it was that the 500 Storms were part of the last batch of 1,300 built for VW UK. They were scattered through the production run just the same as LHD and RHD cars were built alongside each other which is what makes them difficult to identify as the Storms themselves aren’t subsequent whereas the VINs were sequential.

The first Storm was allegedly 002436, the last sold was 003592 then the second last Corrado built was a green Storm 004043 followed by 004044, a LHD classic green, both the last two ending up in the museum.

The above all has the caveat of “that’s my understanding of it!”

I've not researched this in any way tbh. It's a subject that has come up numerous times over the almost 10 years I've been on here so I'm just regurgitating what others have said. It does make sense what you say though. The fact that all engine types, RHD & LHD were run off in sequence as the orders came in, makes it understandable why its so difficult to track them.

Chris Gaskell had an encyclopaedic knowledge of this stuff and was a sad loss, he would have told you the exact numbers!

The Storms, particularly the green ones weren’t much out of the ordinary coming down the production line, a different head unit, multi changer and colour coded grill over any other green one with beige interior on the line.

I’ve never seen a number to confirm how many of the final 451 built after the last Storm (for sale) were UK cars, but mine along with around another 300 or so others is one of those as I believe that at the end of production RHD outnumbered LHD by 2:1.

Recaros look great keyo - glad you found a set after hunting for a while. Sadly I don't have the budget for some at the moment, but would love some grey ones.

1 hour ago, tonedef said:

Chris Gaskell had an encyclopaedic knowledge of this stuff and was a sad loss, he would have told you the exact numbers!

The Storms, particularly the green ones weren’t much out of the ordinary coming down the production line, a different head unit, multi changer and colour coded grill over any other green one with beige interior on the line.

I’ve never seen a number to confirm how many of the final 451 built after the last Storm (for sale) were UK cars, but mine along with around another 300 or so others is one of those as I believe that at the end of production RHD outnumbered LHD by 2:1.

My Chassis number is SK002448 and my car came with black leather so looks like the first buyer of my car didn't  want a storm . Where does my car sit in the last production year ? Cheers. 

56 minutes ago, fendervg said:

Recaros look great keyo - glad you found a set after hunting for a while. Sadly I don't have the budget for some at the moment, but would love some grey ones.

Thanks mate the budget is the catch and finding some (seem to be more available in Europe especially Holland for some reason - the maths on them you can sell your interior for 1 k for a rebate or just the front seats for £500.00 so that can help out a bit. Never seen a car seat so bloomin expensive its a sod !  

27 minutes ago, Keyo said:

My Chassis number is SK002448 and my car came with black leather so looks like the first buyer of my car didn't  want a storm . Where does my car sit in the last production year ? Cheers. 

This has hijacked your thread hasn’t it! S confirms its a 1995 build, K is Osnabrueck and 002448 means it was built 12 cars after the first Storm. Mine’s 003701 and classic green but built after the Storms finished.

Mine has a small label inside the back panel about the same size as an old supermarket price sticker, says 18 May 1995 on it, don’t suppose you have anything like that do you?

8 minutes ago, tonedef said:

This has hijacked your thread hasn’t it! S confirms its a 1995 build, K is Osnabrueck and 002448 means it was built 12 cars after the first Storm. Mine’s 003701 and classic green but built after the Storms finished.

Mine has a small label inside the back panel about the same size as an old supermarket price sticker, says 18 May 1995 on it, don’t suppose you have anything like that do you?

Back panel behind rear door card ?

8 minutes ago, Keyo said:

Back panel behind rear door card ?

No sorry, in the boot, just above the carpet line.

6 minutes ago, Keyo said:

Ok I found it 23.02.95 . Thanks 

corrado inspection label ..jpg

That’s the one, I was just about to get the car out the garage for a photo!

5 minutes ago, tonedef said:

Nice one mate never noticed it before - looks like our cars were 12 weeks apart- might of even been shipped abroad at the same time.  Mine wasn't actually registered in til late February 1996 so a year apart.. 

Edited by Keyo

3 minutes ago, tonedef said:

That'll be the date of the paint inspection in German "Inspektion Lackierung" - so not necessarily the day the car was finished, but close.

1 minute ago, fendervg said:

That'll be the date of the paint inspection in German "Inspektion Lackierung" - so not necessarily the day the car was finished, but close.

Got you chap- hey that is some time a year from inspection to sale for mine - looks like they were not selling them easily. 

Mine was registered November 95 but there were definitely some hanging around unsold for a while, there used to be a P reg Aqua VR6 near where we lived which would mean August 96!

3 hours ago, tonedef said:

Mine was registered November 95 but there were definitely some hanging around unsold for a while, there used to be a P reg Aqua VR6 near where we lived which would mean August 96!

Mine got sold from a dealers from Scirocco close so there was probably some confusion - ha

Edited by Keyo

Right been meaning to test the cooling system in the Rado for a while since the engine rebuild and been 30 degrees today was the perfect opportunity. For obvious reasons air blower cabin fan was turned off 

Car has in the last 2 year.

Coolant pipes complete and clamps in  bay including crack pipe. 

New OE thermostat sensors . x3 

New hella oil cooler and OE oil switches 

Oil PCV valve and breather hoses 

New Water pump and oil pump from recent engine rebuild. 

Fresh OE coolant G13 and synta oil few weeks back. 

New Bosch Aux water pump. 

Aftermarket Alloy radiator

Heater matrix

Open 3 slat front bumper grill rather than the late one slat grill. 

So after a  40 minute drive in 31 degrees here are my findings for the VR. 

Open roads and country lanes highest temps recorded. 

Coolant 98 (av 92)    Oil 100 (av98)

Stop start traffic on way home highest temp. 

Coolant 104    Oil 102 

Very happy with the results - pretty sure before I was seeing up to 116 for oil and fans coming on frequently passing the 100 for coolant.  

Edited by Keyo

Loom fotted and recaro working - thanks to EP and TD 👍

Also fitted some new belleville springs 823837057A  (basically a thick washer)  behind the door cotter pins and has completely transformed the stiffness  of closing doors . Ready available from dealers 1 each door and 2 minute job - much better quality then the aftermarket ones. 

Also found this under the handbrake tunnel. 

bll.jpg

The most annoying trees in the world the silverbirch- my neighbour has two huge ones - constantly shedding seeds - blocks the car drains  - house blows in when you open the door - cabin of the car every time you turn on the blower- blocks all the drains and gutters of the house. Right pain in the ass - first part of summer shreds green powder crap everywhere- then loads and of the little brown seeds for a month or so- last off autumn all the leafs shred - pain in the ass all year grrrrr rant over - but have to clean the gutters and drains a few times a year would like to give my neighbour the bill.   Not my car but would be if I left it a week. Hopefully the fuckers will die in a couple years as only live max for 60 years. 

silverbirch.JPG

Edited by Keyo

Got the 16V insured today with Lancaster Insurance for an estimated value of 19K which would cover my cost of purchasing and renovating in the event of a loss  -  The retail will be more like the 15k - Here are some pictures I have taken for the valuation and will update this thread what they agreed - Lancaster are not shy to value a car high and was one of the reasons I went with them and the Corrado will be following - cost £257 inc 5k miles - legal cover-  comprehensive breakdown cover- valuation 19K.  Always start high in a negotiation because that is exactly what an agreed value is between both parties. Not kidding you Im going to try on 25 K with the corrado they can only say no and If I get between 15k- 20K I will be happy. Cheeky couple of the Rado as well .  Insurance is not fit for purpose if it does not cover your loss so I have no squabbles about going for a high value and paying a bit more on my insurance. (If you don't ask you dont get) 

DSC_0571.JPG

DSC_0519.JPG

DSC_0550.JPG

DSC_0575.JPG

DSC_0511.JPG

DSC_0542.JPG

DSC_0538.JPG

DSC_0539.JPG

DSC_0512.JPG

DSC_0559.JPG

DSC_0561.JPG

DSC_0545.JPG

DSC_0563.JPG

DSC_0548.JPG

DSC_0547.JPG

DSC_0562.JPG

DSC_0518.JPG

DSC_0530.JPG

Edited by Keyo

Beauties mate, beauties! I don't think it's over valued to be honest. Corrado prices have been soaring here after a USA magazine declared recently the Corrado being number one out of 10 collector cars of the years... They doubled in price in less than a year... Cheers 

1 minute ago, ABV-VR6 said:

Beauties mate, beauties! I don't think it's over valued to be honest. Corrado prices have been soaring here after a USA magazine declared recently the Corrado being number one out of 10 collector cars of the years... They doubled in price in less than a year... Cheers 

Thanks  ABV at the end of the day you can only try and get the value and insurance should cover you personal loss otherwise it is not fit for purpose- Hows your car coming on mate your looks a gud un to be fair  . 

I totally agree with you, otherwise what's the point of insurance? 

I've been working on things here and there on the car but kind of work behind the scene... Like I redone the HVAC box, pulled the dash, heater core. You know stuff you don't feel like doing but have too... I'm a contractor and summer are very busy so I didn't have that much time... I should do an update though... Thanks for asking! Cheers JF 

both cars look fantastic - a real credit to you

i did not think you could get insurance to that value to be totally honest - well done 

i attempted to carry out some welding on my mk2 today and gave up after 6 bloody hours just could not get it right - either not enough penetration or it was blowing holes 

i just cut everything out again and vw's waxol alternative did not help as soon as i applied heat out it came