oneohtwo

Replacement Wiper Arm Bushes

I am pleased to be able to offer replacement bushes for the wiper link arm/connecting rod.

The OE link arm has some plastic bushes pressed in and, I think for most of us, these have worn badly over the years resulting in a lot of slack in the system. The result being the wipers have a lot of play in them and will tend to foul either the scuttle, or the A-pillar. 

These items will replace the OE bushes in the connecting rod and remove the slack in the system, meaning the wipers can be positioned correctly and will no longer foul anything. 

DSC_5225.JPG

DSC_5217.JPG

DSC_5215.JPG

DSC_5222.JPG

They are 3D printed using the multi-jet fusion (MJF) process in PA12 Nylon. I do not know what the OE bushes are made from but Nylon is known for it's hard wearing and self lubricating properties, so is often used in bearing applications. Being 3D printed the parts have a grainy finish, but this does not appear to hamper their operation. They are likely not quite as strong as an moulded equivalent (i.e. the originals) but are strong enough and the porous surface probably means they won't last quite as long. I have run these on my car for a few months over winter and they have held up well, but this is of course not a product developed by a large manufacturer, and I can make no guarantees about long term use, so caveat emptor applies. 

I suggest therefore, at this point, we treat these as almost a disposable item for replacement as and when necessary, and they are fitted with a retaining circlip so can easily be removed and replaced. 

I have a batch of 9 pairs available to start with which I will offer at £6.50 per pair which is more or less covering my costs, including postage.

They are designed to work with this circlip:

15mm External Circlips (DIN 471) - Marine Stainless Steel (A4) (accu.co.uk)

I can supply these as well, but this will increase the cost to £20.00 per pair. 

After the first 9 have gone, I will see how many more takers there are for getting another batch printed. Unfortunately there is a minimum order value which slightly pushes the prices up. If there's only 1 or 2 further takers I don't think I can really cover the expense, so the cost might go up, but we'll see. 

DSC_5222.JPG

Edited by oneohtwo

Chalk me up for a set please (with the clips). I'll put them on the 8V in Autumn with new blades. PM me payment details.

I will have 2 pairs and one with the circlips please just to add my ever growing list of spares

Thanks

Thanks everyone, I'll start PM'ing you and getting these sent out over the next week. 

By my count, I have takers for 10 pairs and just 9 available at present. So on a first come first basis, @easypops would you mind waiting a bit longer? It will take a bit of time to get another batch printed, but it will give a bit more time to see if there's a few more takers as well.

9 hours ago, oneohtwo said:

Thanks everyone, I'll start PM'ing you and getting these sent out over the next week. 

By my count, I have takers for 10 pairs and just 9 available at present. So on a first come first basis, @easypops would you mind waiting a bit longer? It will take a bit of time to get another batch printed, but it will give a bit more time to see if there's a few more takers as well.

I’m happy to wait mate, I’m on a forever journey of collecting parts 😁👍

On 7/23/2023 at 12:23 PM, oneohtwo said:

I am pleased to be able to offer replacement bushes for the wiper link arm/connecting rod.

The OE link arm has some plastic bushes pressed in and, I think for most of us, these have worn badly over the years resulting in a lot of slack in the system. The result being the wipers have a lot of play in them and will tend to foul either the scuttle, or the A-pillar. 

These items will replace the OE bushes in the connecting rod and remove the slack in the system, meaning the wipers can be positioned correctly and will no longer foul anything. 

DSC_5225.JPG

DSC_5217.JPG

DSC_5215.JPG

DSC_5222.JPG

They are 3D printed using the multi-jet fusion (MJF) process in PA12 Nylon. I do not know what the OE bushes are made from but Nylon is known for it's hard wearing and self lubricating properties, so is often used in bearing applications. Being 3D printed the parts have a grainy finish, but this does not appear to hamper their operation. They are likely not quite as strong as an moulded equivalent (i.e. the originals) but are strong enough and the porous surface probably means they won't last quite as long. I have run these on my car for a few months over winter and they have held up well, but this is of course not a product developed by a large manufacturer, and I can make no guarantees about long term use, so caveat emptor applies. 

I suggest therefore, at this point, we treat these as almost a disposable item for replacement as and when necessary, and they are fitted with a retaining circlip so can easily be removed and replaced. 

I have a batch of 9 pairs available to start with which I will offer at £6.50 per pair which is more or less covering my costs, including postage.

They are designed to work with this circlip:

15mm External Circlips (DIN 471) - Marine Stainless Steel (A4) (accu.co.uk)

I can supply these as well, but this will increase the cost to £20.00 per pair. 

After the first 9 have gone, I will see how many more takers there are for getting another batch printed. Unfortunately there is a minimum order value which slightly pushes the prices up. If there's only 1 or 2 further takers I don't think I can really cover the expense, so the cost might go up, but we'll see. 

DSC_5222.JPG

Thought I'd just add a short guide to installation, based on my experience:

Needed:

1x M12 washer

1 x Socket (or short hollow tube)

Vice or something else to press the new bushes in

Circlip pliers

1. With the wiper mechanism off the car take note of the crank position on the motor, as this is the stop position, and you'll need to make sure everything is back in this position before putting back on the car.

2. Remove the crank from the motor by undoing the central M10 (I think) nut. This isn't done up tightly, but the crank might need levering off the spindle. 

3. Make note of which way around the connecting rod attaches to the ball joints  Remove the connecting rod/link arm from the wiper mechanism. Given how loose these are now, it should come off fairly easily. Remove the crank as well.

WARNING: Before proceeding make sure you're happy to go ahead as once the old bushes are removed there is no going back.

4. You will then need to remove the old bushes in some manner. I used a screwdriver to just gouge them out, but however you do this they will get destroyed, so see warning above.

5. Next place the M12 washer over the flange of the bush. The little raised bit in the middle is 12mm dia. so this should just clip on and more or less hold in place. The washer is to protect the plastic being damaged when it is compressed into the hole so is quite important. 

6. Slot the bush into the hole. It will just push in up to the end of the circlip slot. Make sure you push these in the right way, You want the flange on the outside face of the connecting rod, the opposite side from the ball joint. Also note they don't go in the same way around, one faces "out" the other faces "in"

7. Line it up in a vice or press with a socket on the opposite side (or something hollow) to allow the bush to push through.  ensure the washer is still in place and wind it in. It should go in easily, but firmly. Give it a good press to make sure the circlip slot is all the way through.

8. The bush should be securely held in the connecting rod, so now add the circlip. Repeat for the other end.

9. Insert the ball joint into the open ends and place in vice with M12 washer still in place. I usually start with the crank as this is easier to handle. A bit of silicon lube on the ball joint will help. This can be a bit fiddly, but I found that (with the washer still in place) winding the ball joint in a short way until it is gripped then undoing the vice and putting the socket over the washer makes it easiest to handle. You will want the socket (this time on the washer/flange side) to allow the flat top of the ball joint to poke through. Once all lined up, carefully wind the ball joint in. It should go in easily, but with a bit of resistance. You should be able to feel it give a bit once the ball joint is properly located. If you remove and give it a wiggle it should seat itself.

10. Repeat for the other end. Fitting the ball joint on the wiper mechanism is one of those three handed jobs, but just needs a bit of patience.

11. Line up the crank in the position you noted in point 1 and reattach to the motor. I don't have torque values for the nut on the motor but I don't think it needs to be too tight.

12. Refit. I think Cressa added some torque values in the other thread for the spindle bolts. The wipers should now be able to be positioned just inside the shaded area of the windscreen, both level, and not hit the scuttle, or the A pillar.

Great stuff - do you think there is anything similar that could work for the bushes on the long link arm between the spindles? I know that they are a different design, but always hopeful.

No probs! I hope they work for everyone else as well as they have for me. 

On 8/4/2023 at 10:37 AM, fendervg said:

Great stuff - do you think there is anything similar that could work for the bushes on the long link arm between the spindles? I know that they are a different design, but always hopeful.

Not sure to be honest - I didn't really look into these. Sorting the connecting rod seemed to sort everything, and the other bits seemed pretty solid. I don't see why it wouldn't be possible though.

Edited by oneohtwo

Excellent stuff. Thanks for all the development work, i know its not easy. Could i take a set please? Thanks. Hasan

I should be able to do another batch of these as there are a few people who have requested them now, so I will look to do that.

I'm interested to know whether anyone who bought any of the last batch managed to fit them OK and if they worked alright?

2 hours ago, oneohtwo said:

I should be able to do another batch of these as there are a few people who have requested them now, so I will look to do that.

I'm interested to know whether anyone who bought any of the last batch managed to fit them OK and if they worked alright?

Do you do any other 3D printing?

No, I don't actually do the 3D printing, I don't have printer.

I've just been able to model things in 3D and then source it to an online 3D printer. Unfortunately most of these have a minimum order value so I have to get them in batches of 20 or so.

Apologies all, I haven't managed to put the order in for the next batch yet, but hopefully will get onto that in the next couple of weeks.

• Like 2

Sorry all I realise I have been a bit slow on this, but to confirm I have put the order in for a second batch, so these should be arriving in a couple of weeks and then I can get them sent out.