Jim

The "what I did to my Corrado today" thread...

Hopefully going to rescue the rado from a mechanic who doesnt have a clue about how the PG engine and electrics work... despite giving him the bentely manual.

Had to diagnose the fault myself after he changed the dizzy as i was getting no spark and still was the same after he changed it.

His reasoning was no feed from the hall sender so dizzy had to be changed... didnt think if it wasnt getting a feed it wouldnt produce one :(

Asked him to check coil had 12V and that boost gauge illuminated before turning engine.. they did.. ruled out immobiliser cutting feeds.

Asked him to check ISV buzzes before turning engine... it didnt... rules out ecu as feed isnt getting that far.

Asked him to check 12V feeds to ECU relay... battery constant present and 12V present on ingnition on... no feeds out however.

ECU relay dead... Am going to kick off if they try to bill me for a dizzy as it isnt needed.

Will also give it a wash as its been stuck with them for 2 weeks whilst ive been working away.

Fingers crossed for a successful day

A quick wash and dressing, and used the CG Jetseal 109 I've just received. Only managed one coat though as the heavens opened just as I finished buffing off! Was great to see a bit of beading straight away though! This stuff is awsome, only downside is that it now shows every chip, scratch and dink on the car. And there are A LOT! Great beading, and fantastic glossy look! Also changed my repeaters for clear ones.

Just changed a bulbsocket and bulb for the rear license plate light, as it began to blink once in a while. Works again as it should.

I know, it can hardly beat all the engine swaps I read about here on a daily basis, but who cares? As long as it's healthy and well running ;)

more into cornering speed ;) (well, to a limit)

Cheers,

Redfox.

Edited by Redfox

I had a poke around the engine bay to check out what I need to do to replace the aux belt. Will be doing that soon and looks fairly straightforward, if a little cramped.

Also, the forward and back seat movement has never been as smooth as the original seats that I swapped out last autumn. So I took the drivers seat of, degreased and then regreased the runners and put it back. It now moved very smoothly indeed. I didn't have time for the passenger seat so that's a job for next weekend. Very happy with the result though.

Changed bulbs in headlights to those Philips x-treme Vision and also fitted new fuse. What a difference :) all working and shiny, very shiny :)

I am running some sort of uprated loom but it is not very good but meanwhile it will have to do - need to make a plan how to upgrade it in the future. I would love to have it with OEM connectors as mine been hacked to bits by some jolly fitters of existing loom (previous owner).

Also paid my road Tax today and investigated boot light - for some bizarre reason it refuses to work... Need multimeter to check this out in details.

Neglected it to give the Jetta some tlc, which now has silver wheels, red wheel arches and black exterior trims again :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by scarlet_vr6

Changed camber settings on front wheels today pain in the derriere as I cocked up the first time. All is now good and perfect both sides less touring car more road car. Now looking forward to getting those refurbed 16" TT alloys on. Car still garaged until winter fully buggers off!

Washed and waxed with meguiars 3 part set.

Cleaned up the borbets with meguiars hot wheels.

Back to black on all exterior trim pieces.

Fitted a rubber bung in place of the tape over my rear wiper hole.

Made a world of difference.

Another coat of wax to really finish it off tomorrow.

fitted an oil pressure gauge, which was a faff because on the size of the sender had to get a remote kit which didn't earth to the block so the sender sent nowt! three hours and a sender and a crappy link of wire to provide the earth needed et viola! I love my corrado

Passenger headlight removed to fix the sidelight that wasnt working, Re-plugged in, sidelights changed to Led.

Number plates removed ready for the bumpers spraying on Monday.

Oh and gave the old girl a quick wash too.

---------- Post added at 3:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 3:24 PM ----------

Passenger headlight removed to fix the sidelight that wasnt working, Re-plugged in, sidelights changed to Led.

Number plates removed ready for the bumpers spraying on Monday.

Oh and gave the old girl a quick wash too.

New Bosch pads up front. Glad to get shot of those dusty Greenstuff pads :-/

Was going to change the drivers mirror as water has got behind it and fit new window rollers to the drivers side - but couldnt be bothered in the end.. they'll wait for another day :lol:

I removed the drivers side undertray and refitted it to prevent the clutch pedal catching on it on the return. Seems to have worked.

Then removed the passenger side undertray and replaced the heater fan motor. It turned out not to be the cause of the vibration I was getting so I put the original back in again. Vibration magically disappeared. Weird.

Cleaned fan scuttle area too.

Removed passenger seat, cleaned and greased the runners for a smoother movement (I did the drivers side last week).

Took it for an evening drive :)

Sat underneath the back end of car all day de sealing it in prep for re under sealing it, then........... Freshly powder coated axle and all parts/brackets etc all new hoses mk4 calipers new discs pads bearings abs sensors two new top cup mounts new tank straps new fuel pump/filter and thats just the rear end then on to the front! Oh also sanded down new alloys for re furb 16"bbs rx's. Full day on it tom again but starting to feel like i'm getting some where now.

New mats in today. A subtle difference but makes the cabin a much nicer place to be rather than the slightly tired ones with the logo rubbed off (new ones are OEM so have embroidered logo).

Bought myself self tapeting stainless steel screws to replace rusted to the core ones (headlight screws). Was a nice and sunny day. Popped the bonnet - passenger side didn't unlock, so pressed bonnet to lock it, and tried again by pulling release handle. This time it worked :) so replaced headlight screws in preparation for this weekend headlight clean up and alternator strange noise research... and decided to check again bonnet locking mechanism.

Couldn't see anything wrong with it but passenger side felt a bit loose. So took pliers and tightened the screw/cable slightly. Before I shut my bonnet I checked if everything is moving as it should and it was. So full of hope I shut the bonnet. and now ... it's a disaster!

Pulling the leaver only unlocks the drivers side of the bonnet lock, passenger side is still locked. I am sure cable didn't snap, also I'm sure I tightened screw properly. What else it can be? I am technically locked out of my engine bay :(

If the cable had snapped you'd have pulled i out when you pull the handle. Have you checked the pin release levers move freely. Also on the drivers side there's a white plastic trumpet shaped piece which pushes the drivers side lever - check this to make sure its not close to breaking - i did get some metal ones made up but they've all gone. I may get another batch made up IF there's enough demand for them.

If the mechs still working I'd have a willing volunteer jiggle that corner of the bonnet whilst you pull the cable before you resort to more drastic steps!

I'm sure mechanism works, because puling the handle releases drivers side lock, it is only passenger side that seem to be jammed. And pushing down on the bonnet locks it again, so if I can only unlock that passenger side I will be there.

I gave up on this today tho, it get too dark after work. Will have another go tomorrow... meanwhile abusing forum "Search..." in a bid to find as much info on matter as possible. Saw a nice guide on wiki about tackling this problem so full of great hopes.

It does seem the Corrado Curse strikes back, to manage to be locked out of the engine bay by replacing some headlight screws.. must be the fail of the day, surely ^^

I'm sure mechanism works, because puling the handle releases drivers side lock, it is only passenger side that seem to be jammed. And pushing down on the bonnet locks it again, so if I can only unlock that passenger side I will be there.

I gave up on this today tho, it get too dark after work. Will have another go tomorrow... meanwhile abusing forum "Search..." in a bid to find as much info on matter as possible. Saw a nice guide on wiki about tackling this problem so full of great hopes.

It does seem the Corrado Curse strikes back, to manage to be locked out of the engine bay by replacing some headlight screws.. must be the fail of the day, surely ^^

forum numpty of the week awards springs to mind :D

then again i locked myself out of the car with the engine running a few months back... had to leave the missus with the car and go home to get the spare key

Wet sanded two of the four rear lights now theyve had a few days to cure following tint/lacquer............Two to go then ready for polishing!