Jim

The "what I did to my Corrado today" thread...

Removed the rocker and upper manifold ready for powder coating.

Found the rocker cover bolts to be less than hand tight! No wonder oil was p*ssing out in places!

New Kumho KU31s fitted on the front to replace barely legal Eagle F1 GSD2s with bad uneven wear on the o/s from previous owner's badly aligned lowered suspension. Was tempted to replace with more F1s but decided to be sensible and save money for all the other work that needs done!

Today I fitted a new waterpump (this was £75 from ford for a genuine pump as I work there - if anyone on here from Glos area wants vr6 engine bits I pay cost plus 10% so they work out about half price! pm me...you'll have to collect though, I live in Quedgeley). Anyhow the reason I was fitting the pump is 'cause my vr runs way bloody hot..like 110 in traffic and my oil on motorway can go up to 120! I have so far changed; Rad, aux pump, all coolant temp sensors so I thought i'd change the pump as it looked old and i heard the originals break up, took it out....all the vanes on the pump were fine so i changed it anyway and now it 'seems' to be running a bit cooler. I still need to find some heavy traffic to be sure.

I also fitted my new vibratechnics front mount, so now my motor doesn't feel like it's on a mission to mars but still more movement than i'd anticipated...so a bittersweet day but thats c ownership hey dudes? (and dude-ettes - is that right? Who knows?:scratch:)

Lewis

* Fitted new Febi front engine mount - old one totally dead

* Bled brakes - couple of blocked nipples so guessing it's the first time they'd been done for a while. Turns out the load proportioning valve's really stiff and been hooked up with a bent bit of coat hanger such that there's no rear brake action when the pedal's pressed! Probably adjusted by previous owner when lowered suspension was fitted but now I've got stock on I'll need to get the standard linkage.

* Rewired oil pressure gauge as wire in the engine bay had separated somehow and was maxing out the gauge, which freaked me out a bit!

* Replaced ignition coil ground wiring as one was split

* Tried to get VAG-COM going then did a bit of reading on here and realised it won't work with my 1.8 :(

Finally fitted the window rollers i bought a year ago. Also upgraded the standard speakers with Hertz ones. And in the process managed to break the the passenger door so that i can't open it from inside or outside the car :-(

More pain tomorrow i guess.

---------- Post added at 12:36 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:34 AM ----------

Finally fitted the window rollers i bought a year ago. Also upgraded the standard speakers with Hertz ones. And in the process managed to break the the passenger door so that i can't open it from inside or outside the car :-(

More pain tomorrow i guess.

Parked the Golf next to it, glanced across at the rear quarter of the Corrado, thought to myself "that car gives me so much pleasure even just looking at it" and then actually stroked it as I walked out of the garage. Ok I'm a big womans blouse getting all sentimental like that but if the weather holds up then I'm going to find time to take it out for drive tomorrow. It has been too long.

Clean inside and outside

wash my fuses

Ring friend in panic

Point out problem

Sort out faulty grommit

Replace fuses and water tight grommit

Admire a good days work :)

Put the de-cat pipe back on. First time I've had a straight through pipe on with the Jetex cat-back system.......sounds sweeeeeeeeeeeet! :dance:

Spent hours trying to fix battery drain. Failed. Try something different tomorrow. Removed all matches and other sources of ignition from the house in case patience finally gives up.

Mot'd it, then spent a couple of hours doing the repairs! Front discs and pads, unsiezed the left caliper, flexi hose, track rod end, cv boot and wiper blades, not too bad really.

Fixed dipped headlights - previous owner left resistor connected when fitting new loom.

Also took spoiler to bits as one side was loose - could push up and down by hand. The main bit of plastic pipe is snapped so had to leave it for now...

Started spraying WD40 on every nut, bolt and screw I could find relating to wings and front bumper. m Start of a twice daily procedure in preparation for next weekends tear down.

Started spraying WD40 on every nut, bolt and screw I could find relating to wings and front bumper. m Start of a twice daily procedure in preparation for next weekends tear down.

Get yourself some Irwins if you don't have them already as you will no doubt need them.

Fixing the Heater Control, now contacts are cleaned up and working again on 1-4. Wash, Vac and checked over before disconnecting the battery and garaged for a little while.

Get yourself some Irwins if you don't have them already as you will no doubt need them.

Already got the full kit, expansion set the lot. Funny thing I never had until I bought the Corrado. Perhaps the guy who invented Irwins was a Corrado owner.

A wash and wax, boot floor mounted, ice install semi done, door cards fitted and new comps. Ordered new screws and picked up new rear brake shields. pic outside tps

Fixed the annoying ticking noise that I thought was a lazy tappet......... Loose s

park plug...:scratch:

Interesting, I assumed the same - will check my plugs!

Well yesterday really, continued the WD40 spray routine on bumper/wing bolts. Started to try and track down the battery drain that's something too do with the windows/central locking. Had to keep stopping every 15 - 20 mins as I kept losing feeling in my fingers, got a slight problem with Renauds phenomenon. Did about four sessions and stopped before I got violent.

This morning, first dose of WD40 and I'm now having coffee, debating whether to do more battery drain poking around.

finally sorted banging exhaust plus tried to fit lower front strutbrace, only to find wishbones have gone, happy days

Sorted those dreaded door lock plastic bits that connect to the door pin rods , thanks matt and robbie r32 for help .