Sign in to follow this  
juloesG60

The good and the bad of owning a 2L 16v?

Currently own a G60, and contemplating a 2L 16v, with new interior and that, was wandering what u valver owners find the best and worst things about your 2L 16v, performance, reliability, mpg...so on?

cheers

Goin from owning a Golf mk2 8v gti, I found it quite hard driving my valver corrado. With the 8v, all the power straight away, whereas with the 16v you have tpo rev it to get goin, but once it gets goin, it really goes

I came from a Mk2 8v GTI too and agree the valver feels flat compared with that.

I think you may miss the grunt of the G60. Other than that it is a good reliable engine which returns good fuel consumption.

Can't fault mine for anything except the engine ;)

I've had an absolute nightmare with my engine from day 1 although admitedly this is because it had a KR bottom end in it (which I didn't know until I had to replace it for a new one)

It is now a complete 9A engine and I still have issues with it... in that I can't take it over 4K in the rev range as it mis-fires badly - under 4K though it does have a massive amount of tourque so once it is sorted it should fly 8)

It's going to Vince after E38 to get it fully sorted! When I spoke to Vince he did say it is the worst of all the VAG engines to fault find though so maybe not ideal if you want to do all your own work :?

Had all sorts of problems when i first got it (all due to a loose vacume pipe!) Running lovely now!! Flat Bottom end but when you wind up the revs she goes ok!!

Fuel consumption is really quite good! on the way up to Weston Wheels this weekend is was getting 39.9 mpg on the mfa!

Ok well i think i can help here as sitting in the garage is a G60 and sitting in the work car park in a 2L 16v :wink:

The 16v has a serious lack of low grunt, but not as much as the last 1.8 16v.

i find the 2L 100 times better

it has more power and if you change for kr cams you will get more pickup, go for schrick and it will pull like a train from 2k.

I cant fault it, i have had this car since feb, i have done 8000 miles in it and a track day with only minor issues that you would get from any car.

As for the G60, well thats a different kind of power, it pulls from nothing and sounds like a deamon :twisted:

i find the 16v is a quieter car and a more motorway and just get in and drive it car.

I love the G60, its a make everybody look and quick car, it ghet very loud at high speed and you must look aftyer the charger, make sure the oil is right, changed at the correct time and make sure it heats properly before you gun it!

What i would do if i were you is keep the G60 as you will be depressed with the results from the 16v.

it just depends on what you want to use it for :lol:

what about s/charging a valver,i was thinking about doing this as a project next year but heared theres alot of work involved how quick do ya reckon that would be?

Have you not got yours sorted yet saysomestuff?

Not yet mate, money's a bit tight this month so working through it slowly. Hopefully Gavin's idea about the crank pulley will hold some water, gonna check that all this week.

Valvers a cack! the other half had one and it was poo! my nail of and 8v golf striped it to bits. the fuel eco was good but it rivals the 8v golf with not too much problem. dont get one, you will be sick of having to wind it up all of the time. Go for a VR and have alot of fun!

You can only go so fast through windy roads - my 2l valver has more than enough torque in 3rd and 4th to have a really good workout (as I found last night going past the Cat and Fiddle :D).

In a straight line, its is pretty boggy to about 3k then the torque gives you a shunt.

Would I swap one? Prob, but only for a 200 BHP+ motor. I am glad I didnt get a G60, little more hassle for only a "few" more BHP and ft/lbs (standard) and I would soon get bored and want to spend money to get it to 200 brake! And, I much prefer the later interior!

If I had a G60 tho, I wouldnt want to swap for anything less. IMHO, I intend to never take a step backwards on any car I own e.g nothing slower, or less specced

I am now concentrating on having a well sorted valver for a couple of years then think about an engine conversion / new car.

Please accept my 2p donation ;)

p.s - not having a go at G60s either

Valvers a cack! the other half had one and it was poo! my nail of and 8v golf striped it to bits.

Now you cant really say that, fair play if its your opinion but they are far from cack. As for the whole 8v golf thing I must disagree. My 8v golf/scirocco was nice for low down but had now where near the top end pull of the 16v esp. the 2L!.

If you want something cheap (ish) and reliable (i don’t find the engine especially hard to work on, but i have had experience with k jet in the past) then go for the 16v - get a 2l for the abs and better torque.

If its all out power with cheap mods you want i would choose a g60 and go for staged charger, pulley and chip then smile at a close to 200bhp car.

IMO I would go for the VR though, simply for the lazy power and the noise :evil: - not forgetting that all rados are super cool :afro:

Valvers a cack! the other half had one and it was poo! my nail of and 8v golf striped it to bits. the fuel eco was good but it rivals the 8v golf with not too much problem. dont get one, you will be sick of having to wind it up all of the time. Go for a VR and have alot of fun!

:?: :?: :?: :roll: :roll:

I've owned a 1.8 16v Corrado for about two years and I've been using a friend's 2.0 16v Corrado for the last couple of weeks. I find the 2.0 16v much, much easier to drive. It has no shortage of low down grunt and is a lot easier to live with day-to-day than the 1.8. I would say though that as it doesn't require the thrashing that the 1.8 does it loses some of the character of the 1.8, which makes you work for your rewards.

I would also agree that the 2.0 16v is not a difficult engine to work on. I certainly wouldn't describe it as complex!

Oh yeah, I don't know about the rest of them but the 2.0 16v Corrado outside would wipe the floor with a Golf GTI 8v. I've owned a couple of those in the past, one for six years, and they are no straight line performer. Maybe there wouldn't be much in it to 60mph but after that the Golf has nothing.

It's horses for courses. I wanted the cheapest Corrado I could get so I bought a hound of a 1.8 16v. If I could justify the extra purchase and running costs of a VR6 then I'd have one, but I can't. If you're like me and looking to continue in the Corrado market at the budget end then you could do a lot worse than the 2.0 16v.

I have owned a 2.0 16v for a year and a G60 for 2 years. Before last week I would of said that there was no comparrison.....until the charger blew.....

A 16 V is likely to be in nicer condition due to its age and the interior switches etc are no doubt better designed. The coulors available on the later cars also seem to be more varied. The problem is that you need to thrash the bollocks off it to get anywhere. While they may return reasonable MPG while motorway cruising, if your actually wanting to drive the way the car was designed your looking at mid teens (MPG not girls!).

When I got my G60 home I couldnt believe it, it may have been 2 years older and have done 70,000 more miles than the valver, but it felt brand new in comparrison. The power was on tap from low revs and the 20 odd BHP difference reported in the official stats doesnt really do it justice.

I must admit the 500 quid bill from jabba for a charger rebuild withing the first month of ownership was a bit of a bind. But I think the 1300 quid or so the charger has cost me in 2 years is almost certainly worth the extra over the valver. I have probably saved 1000 quid alone in reduced petrol bills.

Anyway, in conclusion the 16v is good for all things hairdresser.....but if you want some fun (which is surely what we drive the cars for) then go for a G60....

Dan

Driving around in Norfolk, a mixture of country A-roads and town/city, I've averaged 34mpg in the 2.0 16v over the last 500 miles; I wouldn't exactly say I've been driving Miss. Daisy either.

I was always under the impression that the G60 was pretty heavy on fuel but, having never owned one, that's nothing more than my assumption. I've never driven a G60 either so I can't compare the performance. The 2.0 16v goes well enough and suits my driving style - that's about all I know.

The 2.0 16v goes well enough and suits my driving style - that's about all I know.

Amen to that - i can see more speed cameras from my house than fields so a valver suits me just fine.

Plus it's a corrado :cheers: so you can just give all boy racers a look of disgust and they don't even try :lol:

lol true brother - these days the o-60 is pretty close on allot of cars but the 2.0ltr 16v does ok and it still puls well round to about 115/120mph i like mine

but never having a g60 i wouldn know - +if the g60 standard is 160bhp mines not doing bad at 148 - standard lol - you nevver know - good luck

I've got a valver and always wished I'd bought a G or a VR! Not that I don't like the car, but I'm forever hampering for more power!

I get around 34mpg which is a saving grace, but I've had problems with the engine since I bought it. Valve stem seals, valve guides, ISV, running lean top end etc etc etc. And it still isn't right now (although probably my own doing!)

But it is a Corrado, and I love it! It goes pretty well and all my mates think its pretty sweet :) :)

I've owned both the 2.0l and 1.8 16vs and liked both of them. The 2.0l 16v was more torquey and slightly more responsive, but the 1.8 was more rewarding to drive and gives better economy. Yes it's not as fast as a G or a VR, but it's still quicker than 90% of cars out there and above all it's a Corrado.

If you want eye-bleeding acceleration and top speed, buy a bike, 'cause even a supercharged VR6 won't come close. If you want (relatively) cheap Corrado based fun, buy a valver :-)