Sign in to follow this  
carpoid

2x2.0L 16V Turbo with Nitrous in Mk1 !!

I didn't even tweak from your comments what was gonna happen, but did wonder about the guy on the mic blabbering on about it not running right and they're just doing some runs to get it setup - with this bloke to the side of him....

It's bad for your health, children!

(And other things it would seem)

Didn't Jim Cotton (Awesome GTI) blow up his Twin VR6 turbo golf's rear engine while trying to get it over 200mph? Only major difference was Jim had a fire extinguisher system built into his car which saved it! 8)

Wonder if the guy in the drivers seat of that Golf got out OK? :|

Phil? That's a CITI Golf as it's filmed in South Africa, they only did them in the 5 door flavour... ;)

I thought it ws Ian Birch that built a twin VR6 turbo....a blue MK3? I didn't think Jim was into that level of modding, but I could be wrong!

The story I heard was the rear engine did let go (in who ever's car it was) during a run and sprayed boiling hot engine oil all over the interior. A firewall was put behind the front seats shortly after :-)

Yeah Kev you are right it was Ian Burch. I think a con-rod broke punching a hole through the block, and as you said there was hot oil everywhere. I've got a magazine with it in somewhere.

yeah, that's the one Kev... Couldn't remember if if was Ian or Jim... :oops:

Apparently it was the oil vapour within the block that caught fire and exploded taking the block with it... :|

It was in The Golf a couple of years ago... funniest bit was when the recovery truck came to pick him up, he just got back in it, flicked a couple of switches and levers and drove it back using just the front engine! :lol:

There's a clip of it somewhere online (can't find it and their site is down, dubsport) where it raced a mega spec FI MK2 on the 1/4. Birch let the MK2 roll ahead and get a head start and then he floored it and zoomed past the MK2 like it was standing still :-) But then it did have a combined output of about 800hp....at the wheels :shock:

I thought it ws Ian Birch that built a twin VR6 turbo....a blue MK3? I didn't think Jim was into that level of modding, but I could be wrong!

The story I heard was the rear engine did let go (in who ever's car it was) during a run and sprayed boiling hot engine oil all over the interior. A firewall was put behind the front seats shortly after :-)

Yep It was Birch's BIG DUB twin VR6 Turbo thing that went pop! On a feature for PVW I believe! It threw a conrod, popped the Engine casing and spewed oil and flames everywhere!!!!

Well if you turbo a VR and the only mod you do is a Thicker Head gasket you deserve all you get!

Well that looked like an amazing piece of kit, shame it went boom!! Would have been amazing on the 1/4 mile!!

i thought big dub was built by ian birch,then jeff seddon bought it and has done for a few years,and i think awesomes mk1 had twin 16v turbo engines