mic_VR

mic_VR's VR - The Awakening!

That sounds worth the long wait - be good to see it in the flesh.

Thanks again Mic for the loan of the pencil coil packs. :D

So a quick update on yesterday's fun packed day.

Started like this

288s.jpg

Ended up like this! :norty:

APson.jpg

Caliperpadview.jpg

Basically it's an AP Racing 4 pot setup with 304mm cross drilled rotors and yellow stuff pads. Needs a full bleed as initial bite seems a little vague, that or Kev has suggested a change from the yellow stuffs over to something a little grippier like the Pagid Greys (R15's?)... but if you stand on them properly, Oh My God it's amazing! You know it's good when you can get the seltbelt tensioners to catch! :lol:

They took a bit of fitting. There was a nub on the hub that needed removing and the bottom ball joints needed grinding off to clear the disks on lock to lock. But it was definitely worth the hassle as they look and feel fantastic, a worthy investment indeed.

Obviously with bigger brakes comes..... bigger wheels! :clap:

So out with the old Solitudes

DSCF1563.jpg

In with the 17x8 ET35 Rota's Force's in gunmetal grey with some Toyo T1-R's all round! :grin:

Rotason.jpg

So all in all, rather a good day and (even if I do say so myself :wink: ) I think it looks pretty f'ing sweet!

Morning

DSCF1571.jpg

Afternoon

rotaside.jpg

And after a run to let the suspension settle back down

rotaside2.jpg

It's a little... tight... on the arch clearance on the front but after a quick run it only really rubs on lock and over big bumps.

Massive thanks to a couple of friendly forum members. First the beige boy wonder (mrbeige) for his help in the morning and for grinding off the ball joints, and then also to kevhaywire for his expert bleeding skills and wheel fitting general chattery.

Mucho thanks boys! :salute:

Edited by mic_VR
Link fixing

Great work chaps! Looks awesome, Michael! :) Gonna do something about the rubbing- spacers or anything?

Mmmm cant beat a bit of big brakes, looks spot on now! When are you sticking the turbo on?

Look awesome there mate. You'll be having fun with those. Interesting to hear about the pads, I'm in need of some better pads for mine.

Looks good matey. Didn't know you were doing this at home. Would have been tempted to come up and fondle your balls while you worked.

Cheers for the replies folks, I'm pretty chuffed at the moment. Forgot how much I enjoy a good tinkering on the old corrado.... thinking about the next job I can do now! :lol:

Toad - it was all a bit last minute. Would have been good if you'd come over as well. We'll have to save it for the snowboarding.

Coullstar - yeah you'd get them under 16s but I couldn't find any I liked, and when these rotors wear out I'll be going up to 330mm so the 17s are a long term plan.

8vMatt - I'll let you know how I get up with the pads. The stopping power is brilliant at the moment its just initial bite that's vague.

Toad - it was all a bit last minute. Would have been good if you'd come over as well. We'll have to save it for the snowboarding.

Cool. Do need to catch up soon! Already got a hectic winter lined up, and not nearly enough weekends free.

hey Mic - looking great matey, raelly pleased for you :D

i'll also be interested to hear how you get on with the yellowstuffs; i've totally cooked the redstuffs on my car. i recon when i get back i'll be swapping out all my solid lines for braided flexi right from the abs unit, going for AP racing fluid and yellowstuff pads.

the wheels and brakes look great against your paint and really offset the whole car.

so how long before we see a rotary silencer finding it's way into your exhaust system?!?

;)

I wouldn't waste your money on Yellows, go straight to the Pagid RS15 :D

Have to say, Mic's rado drives incredibly well :salute: . One of the best I've driven in fact, made even better by the low down punch of the 24V out of roundabouts! Proper point and squirt fun like any good Rado should be!

Given how low it is, the ride quality was really good and it didn't appear to suffer with any bump steer or wandering issues. I'd like to inject my car with some of what Mic's car is taking!

The revo map DG put into the ECU has tamed the over aggressive throttle beautifully, so John M, if you're reading this, speak to DG Autotech!

Nice stoppers and plenty of elegant ventilation for 'em!

Can't beat them for inspiring confidence in a car and sailing past other lesser mortals before throwing the anchors out. :nuts: :norty:

I wouldn't waste your money on Yellows, go straight to the Pagid RS15 :D

Have to say, Mic's rado drives incredibly well :salute: . One of the best I've driven in fact, made even better by the low down punch of the 24V out of roundabouts! Proper point and squirt fun like any good Rado should be!

Given how low it is, the ride quality was really good and it didn't appear to suffer with any bump steer or wandering issues. I'd like to inject my car with some of what Mic's car is taking!

The revo map DG put into the ECU has tamed the over aggressive throttle beautifully, so John M, if you're reading this, speak to DG Autotech!

You're making me blush! :camp: High praise indeed coming from yourself but like we were talking about on Saturday my car has really had most of the essential jobs done in the build up to the engine conversion and eventual turbo, including all the bushes and top mounts, all the engine mounts, a proper alignment and camber setup (DG Autotech special, :notworthy: ) etc which seems to me to be the way forward...... Although you do see a lot with expensive suspension thrown on and nothing else renewed and then they wonder why it doesn't feel much better. Surprises me really when most people are attached to the Corrado because of the way they handle.

I'd also agree with Kev and say anyone with a 24v conversion should speak to DG about the Revo throttle taming if it's a problem for them, I don't notice how good it is anymore which is a great testament to how smooth it is.

so how long before we see a rotary silencer finding it's way into your exhaust system?!?

;)

It's the next job now. I think the 24v conversion is proving to be 100% reliable so I feel confident I won't have any issues with the turbo fitted. I just didn't fancy doing both jobs at once. I'll also keep you up to date on the yellow stuffs mate, but I might still try some Pagids myself just for a comparison!

And I'll try to clean it this week and get some better pics. Looking at it as I left the house this morning and it does look proper hard! :lol:

Nice stoppers and plenty of elegant ventilation for 'em!

Can't beat them for inspiring confidence in a car and sailing past other lesser mortals before throwing the anchors out. :nuts: :norty:

Cheers Phil. The brakes really were the biggest let down for me on my car so it was a natural next step to go for something more substantial. I'd love to put the mk4 servo and master cylinder on that I've still got to really add that modern car crispness to the whole braking system. Maybe one day....

Great work chaps! Looks awesome, Michael! :) Gonna do something about the rubbing- spacers or anything?

Sorry mate, only just spotted your question. Only thing I can really do is raise it up a little, which isn't a bad thing when look at the current angle of the wishbones etc. So I might be on the hunt for either the same spring in a 40mm drop.... or possibly take the plunge into something more ride height adjustable... eitherway it handles so well at the moment I'm happy to put up with a slight rub at the extremes and I'll wait until the current shocks/springs are past their best.

No need for blushing mate, you've done all the right things to it and you're now reaping the rewards :D It's a nice reminder of what a Rado drives like when it's been rebushed and properly aligned. Must get mine done again at some point!

How did it go parking on your street with the Rotas? :D

How did it go parking on your street with the Rotas? :D

Cheers mate, I'm loving the car at the moment.

Parking was interesting. I think as long as I reverse park up the curbs I get as much meat of the tyre as possible to help with the stretch I'll be ok, plus I'm now parking as slow as my gran to help as well! :lol: Should suitably annoy the neighbours which is always nice.

nice wheels and brakes you have there :norty:

Thanks mate, all I need now is the obigatory rolling shot and I can join your club! :wink:

Thanks mate, all I need now is the obigatory rolling shot and I can join your club! :wink:

i always wanted a rolling shot with the Rotas on, so would love to see one of yours :)

Massive thanks to a couple of friendly forum members. First the beige boy wonder (mrbeige) for his help in the morning and for grinding off the ball joints, and then also to kevhaywire for his expert bleeding skills and wheel fitting general chattery.

Mucho thanks boys! :salute:

My pleasure as always matey! does look very well on those Rotas. Jealous! :tongue: