24V Renshaw

24V Renshaw - 24V V6 - Just read the whole thread!!!!

Jay

In all seriousness, I think doing all the work yourself as you have to such a high standard is as Phil K stated far better than having a chequebook perfect car. There is a sense of acheivement when you can sit back and say "I did that!!" Fair play to you.

I've seen the car at the shows as well and I wouldn't have the cheek to say that it doesn't bear up to close inspection and is obviously DIY.

Rob H - We are all entitled to our own opinions and I wouldn't take that away from anyone, however I would suggest a that a little bit of tact was advisable!!!

Keep up the good work Jay!!

Had a very productive weekend so far. The block is freshly painted satin black now and I have gradually started bolting everything on, cleaning as I go. Brand new oil filter and housing, brand new belt tensioner, brand new sump, new gaskets, o-rings, and water pump. Should be good for a few thousand miles.

I am getting excited now!! :)

I doubt it mate. I don't think any 24v V6 Rado could look sh*te! :)

Question is when will yours be ready for me to come and have a look at my man?

creating something NEVER BEFORE DONE

well, apart from mine and coxy's corrado's, which have both had fully functioning 24v's since December............

I still think you should have gone 4WD Jay, especially seeing as you have all the 4 motion wiring to control the haldex. or are you keeping it 2WD "just to be different" to keep the show mongies happy.........

creating something NEVER BEFORE DONE

well, apart from mine and coxy's corrado's, which have both had fully functioning 24v's since December............

I still think you should have gone 4WD Jay, especially seeing as you have all the 4 motion wiring to control the haldex. or are you keeping it 2WD "just to be different" to keep the show mongies happy.........

Jay may not be the most innovative guy on here but i've alway admired how he manages to swap and trade parts to build his car for bugger all money.

I think Phil K meant "Never before done" as the fact everything from the MK4 is going in

Not just the 24v V6 but also

Complete climate control

Cruise control

ABS, EPS, Traction control

VW Alarm and Immobiliser

Rain sensing wipers

Auto dim rear view mirror

MK4 column with height and reach adjust

Complete wiring loom so VAGCOM will work.

Audi TT dash etc..etc..

Tee hee hee :)

Don't worry the option will still be there for the 4WD as and when I turbo it.

To be honest I would rather loose the weight and just work with the Quaife diff for now. The Haldex 4WD is not great and it seems like a hell of a lot of work for not much gain to me... but there is always time.. :)

Jay, you're still more mental that 99.9999% of us dub owners, so my cap weill remain firmly doffed in your direction!

Hell, if I manage to do an oil change without covering myself in cr@p I'm happy! :lol:

Hopefully catch the beast at Inters if it's gonna be there...

Jay, you're still more mental that 99.9999% of us dub owners, so my cap weill remain firmly doffed in your direction!

Hell, if I manage to do an oil change without covering myself in cr@p I'm happy! :lol:

Hopefully catch the beast at Inters if it's gonna be there...

How's he mental? He's got a TT dash, Mk4 loom and engine. Plug and play. Hard bit is doing it Phats way and splicing looms together.

gradeAfailure - Cheers mate. I won't be at inters as (assuming the car is done) I am going to Worthersee in it that weekend. I will try and get to as many shows as I can this year though.

Phat - unfortunately I don't have the money to just keep the 4WD stuff, much as I would like to. I have had to sell absolutely everything i am not using to fund the project.

Jay

Hmmmm.... my life is 12V short at the moment, I need 12 more :D

Good work and I really like modernising program you're doing too.....

Cheers Kev. Unfortunately having never had a "normal" VR I won't be getting the perspective of how different the 24v is, but I am sure I will have some willing test pilots to let me know!

Good to see that people are getting my concept of making the whole car more modern.

Jay

On paper the 24V is the better unit, but it had a heavy car to lug around, so should be a flyer in your C. Structurally speaking the 24V is better too, so should see you right for many years.

I'm well with you on the modernising.....it's something I believe in too. Using an older VW to house current technologies....best of both worlds! VW are using some nice stuff at the moment, so seems rude not to install it in the older dubs and of course it retains an OE look.

The build looks lovely so far Jay; not only do you seem to be able to work some serious mechanical miracles; but the finished products seem so well styled in terms of colour; interior, wheels etc

There are quite a few corrados that look fantastic, and quite a few really impressive engine transplants/ conversions etc- but its not often people can do both together- well done fella!

Cheers Ice White Socks. I will hopefully be posting up some progress pics later on today. I only have 3 weeks left before we go to Worthersee!!!! ARGHHH!!

Jay

I know Jay's not the sort of bloke to say things like this but I'm afraid I can't sit here and read the total b*****s some people have written on here!

To those who think this car isn't 'anything different' or 'is clearly DIY'...

Pleeease take a step back and assess what you are saying before you type it... then read it back to yourself again. Once you've done this, delete it all and start typing again then repeat step 2. If by chance you still think that you are judging a Ford Fair (you should be able to tell because chavs hang around at fairs and similarly they drive F*rds!) or think that there's little originality in Mr Renshaw's car, then try removing your head from other users' behinds, as you clearly know very little about the dub scene and the modifications carried out within it.

This car has the most subtle and the most obvious of modifications that have (virtually - (paint, but not prep, excluded)) all been carried out by the owner to a degree that they look like they were made to be like that. Furthermore, the car has been produced on a very tight budget (through clever use of those who know very little about the dub scene and the modification business) with little or no outside assistance in terms of styling cues and engineering help. Aaaaand it's been done in an increadibly short space of time for someone who does something different for a living and, like the most of us, only has evenings and weekends to work on it!

Give the guy a break and be constructive at least! (I'd be genuinely interested to hear the comments regarding the 'wicker man' mk2 of anyone who feels differently to the general concensous surrounding Jay's car.)

Personally, (believe it or not) I think the finished product will be awesome, and I applaude Jay on his efforts.

This is just my opinion BTW and not meant to offend, but if in case it has then :roll: never mind hey?

I'm off to pick my toys up and get back in my pram, then return with another go on here in a few months again...

Hell, I might even own a C by then! :lol: :lol: :lol:

PS: Jay, that'll be tenner please :wink: :lol:

ITS IN!!!!!!

After a long evening of assembly and sorting out some of the loom. The 24v is now in. There are a few teething problems like the Air-con pump hitting the front cross member, but otherwise I am very happy.

Just 3 weeks to go now till Worthersee so I need to get things moving.

As always - Very nice indeed Mr Renshaw!!!!!

What silver paint have you used for the various different parts (rocker cover, gearbox etc??)and do you know if it will hold? ie not flake off in a month or two??

Cheers lads.

Blue Joe - there is no nasty silver paint mate it is all just properly clean!!! So there is no chance of it flaking off. :)