Sign in to follow this  
Andy665

Scirocco - sneak update on P13

They can't take that!!

They have. Check out the site. Those that still remember the old scirocco.de site will be in for a surprise!

original Scirocco had the looks of a coupe with a hatched rear

Erm, ... nope, definitely not. The back was and is definitely a coupe, certainly compared to the mainstream car of the day, the Mk1 Goof. That had a hatch.

The niche for truer coupes like the ones we own don't exist anymore in todays market

I was shocked, if not slightly pleasantly surprised by a car that caught my eye whilst going up the escalator back to the VW stand. It was the new Renault Laguna coupe :shock:

If almost every other carmaker on the planet can somehow still manage to cobble together an attractive coupe, ... well you get the rest of the statement :lol:

Tempest

Although obviously in totally different market segments the likes of the V8 Vantage and Jaguar XK clearly demonstrate that good looks sell cars - if people with a lot of money can buy a good looking coupe why can't people with less money be offered the same opportunity.

Whilst I accept that the need to turn a profit means that it is sensible to create vehicles that cover as many bases as possible - thats why Volkswagen seem to be really banging on about how the Scirooco is a practical car - that way they can attract 3 door hatchback customers as well as those looking for a coupe.

However, figures from the motor industry clearly show that the biggest profits lie in the "niche" vehicle segments not mainstream - I think Volkswagen have let the accountants have the last word in the design. The most profitable vehicle Peugeot has made in recent times is the 206CC, not practical, not well built but sold to people who wanted a bit of style (!!) at a reasonable price. Like many others have said, the Scirocco is far from a bad looking car, its just not a sporting coupe - no matter what the marketing people say.

Manufacturers don't employ people who actually understand much about the job they are doing - I'm currently working with a regional aftersales person who has admitted that they don't understand at least half of the information that dealers send to her - if that kind of practice exists and is allowed to exist further up the tracks (which I'm in no doubt about) then is it any wonder that we get very middle of the road, safely styled, inoffensive vehicles.

Heres my two penneth worth..

It is nice, but in the same way that a VXR Astra is nice compared to a standard model. It hasnt deviated enough away from the Golf for me to think it is a coupe, although the rear windows do look a bit V8 Vantage to me..

I agree with Andy, VW havent really stuck there neck out with it and id say the obvious comparison is to the Audi TT which is a proper coupe and ticks the boxes to have the title..

We on here are always going to be hard to please, the fact that we spend money on cars which a lot of people would deem at the end of there serviceable life has got to say something. I know im not alone when i say im concentrating on motor vehicles of yesteryear and not about whats coming..

Im going to reserve full judegment until i see one hovering down the motorway or parked up on the street though.

On the face of it, the new Scirocco is a nice car IMHO. What it isn't, is a coupe! Far from it. It is most certainly not worthy of wearing the Scoricco badge and reviving a model cherished by a large number of enthusiasts. They (VW) could have come up with some other abysmal name for it (I mean, Tiguan ffs) and I think the enthusiasts would have been more happy because as a car it is quite nice IMHO.

I personally don't like the badge on the bonnet but it at least gives you, the enthusiast (if anyone buys one) something to remove and smooth.

Alot of the negativity towards the Scirocco I think is because

1 - It's called the Scirocco

and

2 - It looks as much a coupe as a very un-coupe like car taking 'how not to look like a coupe lessons'!

All IMHO

2p

As the last two posts above have mentioned - it's a "nice" looking car but it's definitely NOT a Coupe, therefore VW shouldn't have used the name "Scirocco". I'll hold full judgement until I see it in the flesh and/or take one out for a test drive.

I can't wait to get mine. :D Should I wait for the four wheel drive one?

If your prepared to wait, oh yes, by the way, what happened to that lovely GREEN avatar :)

I can't wait to get mine. :D Should I wait for the four wheel drive one?

If your prepared to wait, oh yes, by the way, what happened to that lovely GREEN avatar :)

Well, I got bored of the front end on that one, it didn't look quite right. I thought this red one would be better. :D

Four wheel drive it is then I think! I'm bored of front wheel drive cars.

Four wheel drive it is then I think! I'm bored of front wheel drive cars.

How Very Dare You :lol:

370.jpg

Er, apart from Corrados of course.... :wink:

What I was going to say was that if I'm waiting for the four wheel drive one I may as well get another Rado inbetween times.... Except that would eat all my hard earned Scirocco fund....

From the VWVortex link above:

The designers of the third generation of the Scirocco unmistakably designed it to be a pure sports car. Different than the original Scirocco of the 1970s, and the second generation introduced in the 1980s, the new car offers substantially greater interior space. That is because

- doesn't really do much to change my mind...

Bloody hell that's the most boring video involving a car I've ever seen. Has someone been messing with the aspect ratio on it. It looks like 16:9 squished to 4:3 in places.

No, not the most inspirational vid ever. And haven't they borrowed the sound track with all it's whooshy noises from the polo blue motion promo vid? I want to hear some really nice exhaust note. I don't want to hear whoosh swoosh mooosh sound effects. Plus I've heard a polo blue motion. It sounds like every other three cylinder diesel engine. Sh!te. Does that mean the new Scirocco sounds sh!te too? That vid raises more questions than it answers. I just can't wait to get behind the wheel of one. At the moment, even after that vid I still like it.

Taken from the Geneva show Press information

"The designers of the third generation of the Scirocco unmistakably designed it to be a pure sports car. Different than the original Scirocco of the 1970's and the second generation in the 1980's, the new car offers substantially greater interior space. That is because - in contrast to its two predecessors - the Scirocco of 2008 does not have a sloping hatchback but a wagon back with matching long roof and steep tailgate"

What a contradiction - designed to be a pure sports car then in the next breath they start banging on about greater interior space and a wagon back - who the hell wants a sports coupe with loads of interior space that looks like an estate car :?

Oh yeah, cos that's the first time the motoring press have talked bollox about a car.... :wink:

I am a bit surprised at the level of negative feeling towards this car. I think you all just got your hopes up too much. :lol: You'll learn. Appreciate things for what they are. Don't worry about what they could have been.

Thinking about it, I wonder how much the journos are getting as a backhander from VW every time they call it a coupe. Even I don't think it's a coupe. I can't see that someone who makes their living out of writing about cars could conceivably call it a coupe unless there was some motive behind it.

At the start of that Video, it looked like a mean micra coming towards ya..... can't believe that VW can release a cult car and have it looking like so many other current cars on the market, even an advert for the new Kia Ceed reminded me of the new "iroc" :lol: what a fooking piss take :shock:

A little undecided myself, I'd like to see a photochop of an R32 version, something a bit more edgy... or a facelift version due in 2012 when they tweak the lights, bonnet and dash with a more power engine available ;-)

I think it could almost be removed enough from the family styling and be unique enough to make it 'special' perhaps enough to have a special name. I bet if we could see conversations when the Rado first appeared there would be people going, huh its just a bit of goof and pi55rat, look passat ish rear lights and sort of audi quattro oblongish headlights and a coupe back like a renault alpine, nothing special about that

and of course we don't know what the driver experience will be like yet either..

I guess IF I was in the market for a new sporty eurobox and had £20k odd it would be high on my list... search your feelings, where is it on your £20k NEW car list?

Been out snowboarding in Morzine this week flying from Geneva,as the show is right next to the airport i was kinda hoping to pop in there this morning to get a look but just didn't have the time - gutted !