robrado974

Robrado's rado she is staying

LOL Darren , i do have a cover but if i put it on i will never find the leaks . I know the photos are not great it was dark , but by pulling the seal back towards you , where it meets the black plastic on the inside of the boot you can see the water sitting in between the two . If i could take the day off tomorrow i would . I worry about these things so much .

Well after the heavy rain , that's been coming down in the last few days , I've had no water coming in to the boot of the car . Also since removing the last of the sound deadening I've had no wetness on the floor pan . I think I'm ready to go with installing the heated seat loom . I'm awating the arrival of my closed cell floor covering . I will install a a quality carpet underlay to go on top of this ,then I can get on with installing the delux set to go into the front and rear foot wells . After that or in the mean time I have a set of working heater controls to fit ,as my directional control has broken . Then it's on to the repairing and painting the seats and door cards . I only need the rear wheel bearings for the under side and I'm ready for the back end refurb too .

Edited by robrado974

Fingers crossed you've finally cured the leaks Rob! Look forward to seeing the end results of all your hard work mate. :thumbleft:

I finished work early today for a change , so ive made a little progress on the interior .Because of the weather and work its hard to get much done . Its dark when you get home or its raining on sundays . Anyway , the heated seat loom is fixed from the rear door card to the switch , ive left it hanging ready to connect to the fuse box and in position to connect to the seats . I then laid the closed cell sound deadening . It was nice and easy to stick down , although you have to get it right first time as when its stuck , its stuck , there aint no moving it after its stuck down . I realised after starting that i had not ordered enough , Bum !. So i need another pack , but at £17.00 inc the dreaded its not going to break the bank . The delux underlay that goes on top that you can see in the pics is not glued down yet , i just laid it in to check the thickness . Its nice to take my time and get things done right , ive no interest in driving the car in the winter , its no fun in the wet and dark , but with just the drivers seat in at least i can drive a few dry miles and keep the battery charged. I find it hard to do any major work in the summer ,as i always want to be out in it . Ive spoken to one of my neigbours that has two compressors with all the spray attachments and he is more than happy to lend it to me ,so i will be painting the front seats and cards when I'm ready . As for the under side as im working rear to the front , i just need the hand break cables and im ready to fit all the parts . A few pics from today .You can see from the metal trim connector that sits on the floor that its rusty , it just shows that if you get a leak inside the car ,membrane or matrix , whatever the sound deadening sucks it up like a sponge .

IMG_1383.jpg

IMG_1384.jpg

IMG_1388.jpg

IMG_1384.jpg

IMG_1386.jpg

IMG_1387.jpg

I will order some more of the closed cell tonight . Hopefully by next week i will have the loom working and all the underlay down .

Edited by robrado974

Thanks mate . I will be going to a few shows next year , if you fancy coming . No falling asleep on the way home though ! .

Too right I'll come along. Can't guarantee about the sleeping bit though, might snore as well!

Oh wait, you might get annoyed!!!

Nice work Rado. Roll on the better weather ive got my thermo housing leaking now. I'm going to pull the whole front end and do all the crack pipe, and oil cooler whilst its off. What id give for a nice dry unit / garage.

You and me both Ray . Imagine having a heated double garage ! . But at least I have a drive to work on , so it's not all bad .

I visited Rog today . It was pouring down , so we put the car in the garage .How nice is it to have a garage with benches and tool boxes to hand , it was bliss . So first of all we , i say we , Rog tested and found where to hook up the heated seat loom to the fuse box . I had already put it all in place , so Rog plugged it all in and it works , so all good there ,thanks Vaghag for the loom. We then removed the centre dash bits to get to the heater controls as the directional control was broken . We had a spare unit , so we robbed the parts off of that and put it back in all working . I had a forty minute drive back and dinner at the outlaws at 4.30 ,so i drove back with nothing fitted back other than the heater controls as we run out of time , but at least i had air blowing on the screen . So i now need to find the thread , of the chap who makes the coloured backlit stuff to make it red behind the controls and i can start fitting the interior back in . Im a little dissapointed with the delux underlay set i bought for under the carpet . Its all well and good having a double layer , but fitting the seat on to the rails and sliding it along to put the bolt in is a real task . I can see me removing one layer from under both seats otherwise its going to drag on it when the seats need adjusting , i may as well have bought the normal set to be honest . Im waiting for new parts from Heritage , new carpet , handbrake trim and the stub axle covers . Once i have the covers the car will be going in to have the rear end underside taken off and all the new parts fitted . I wanted to be in on this with my friendly mechanic , but im up to my eyes in work and i just cant see me being able to take a day off and help to do the job . but never mind . Oh and ive ordered a Seat cig lighter , im hoping to rob the red plastic surround off of it , so i can make the Corrado one light up red in the dash instead of green , thanks to Hasan for the tip . Massive thanks to Rog today for all your help , Bacon butties , coffees and a nice dry garage .

Edited by robrado974

Thanks James .Its nice to get broken things fixed , I can't stand it when things arn't right , bugs the hell out of me .

Looking good Rob. Some great dedication there. Did you find a good noise improvement with the new soundproofing?

Thanks Hasan . Im not sure really , it's hard to say . It's fairly quiet inside , definitely not noisy . By the time the underlay is stuck down and the new carpet in , there should be an improvement.

At last , the VR has gone to my mates garage to have the underside rear of the car stripped of all things rusty for all things shiney . Having done the tank straps myself , that leaves everything else right up to the fuel filter housing , i robbed a nice plastic one off of a breaker [which was Robs , before Dave Buckler[above] bought the shell from him , sorry about that Dave i just had to have it lol. Im not going to replace the hubs , they just go rusty anyway . So when i get the car back i will rub them down with wet n dry till they are clean then ,either paint them or rub them over with grease to stop them going rusty again . Im a bit disappointed that i could not do the job with my mechanic mate as planned , but work is manic and i just cant take a day off so early after Christmas . Ive managed to get some of the interior back in too. I may leave the new carpet in its box , until the seats and door cards are painted , i havent decided yet . The new bar for the windscreen mechanism and motor is sort of fitted . It was only when i began to take the parts off the bar i realised that you cannot remove the part that the splines fit through , without drilling them out of the bar . So i drilled them out to remove them . I put it back together using some slim line bolts . But with the weather being as crap as it has been i didn't get time to test it until last night , i had idea that the bolts were to long but i didnt want to cut them until the motor was connected and i was sure the mechanism was as it was when i removed it and working properly , once bolts are cut it can be a pain to get the nut off and back on if needs be . So as i needed to get the car to the workshop i thought i better fit the bar and the wipers back on , driving in the dark with no wipers , when its lashing it down is not a good idea . Yep the bolts were too long and the splines would not pass all the way through the bulk head .I didnt have time to cut them and fit it back again ,but my luck held out and it didnt rain when i dropped off the car this evening , so my mate will finish it for me . I will get some pics up when i get the car back . I met up with Rog a few weeks ago and parked my car in his nice double garage so we could wire up the heated seat loom . Big thanks to Rog for wiring it up correctly to the fuse box for me .

Thanks for reading .

Rob

Edited by robrado974

Top work Rob, you can't be far off being finished now though surely? Once the underside is complete its got to be just the nightly little things left to do which are hopefully inexpensive and easy enough???