James.

Scotts of Sloane Square Campaign

Indeed we were James and many thanks for pics if your inspirational car.

I wish my son were as interested in helping me - he's doing his a levels so i guess can be forgiven!

Any cabin pics, btw?

Tiny update since last time. We've been busy learning "restoration techniques" (and really enjoying the journey). I know it appears to be happening at a snails pace, but I'm so happy to back on the project. And also feel I'm on the run in to finishing.

I dug out the home plating kit and got to work.

Can't justify spending hundreds on nuts/bolts, so after a bit of experimentation, arrived at the following results. Sourced some zinc from old batteries and after a bath over night in the Bilt-Hamber deox solution and a rub with the wire brush, left them to plate for a couple of hours. I'm happy with the results, as OE bolts from VW are near as damn it the same colour (rather than the over restored passivate gold colour).

After that, we cleaned up the discs, masked them up and sprayed them with a few coats of zinc paint.

Finally, we tapped out the bolt holes and re-fitted the shields, abs sensors and bolts.

Even managed to re-fit a wheel for the first time in eight years.

Zinc plate test 2.jpg

IMG_1835.JPG

IMG_1836.JPG

Edited by James.

Great work James, really interested to know what kit you used for the plating?

This is proper home restoration imo, it's easy to send things off to be restored and the fit them yourself, but nothing beats the self satisfaction of doing the whole thing by your own hands. It may take a little while longer, but it's definitely worth it! Keep it up mate, and look forward to Future updates. :thumbleft:

really interested to know what kit you used for the plating?

Thanks.

You're right, It would be straightforward to hand it over to be rebuilt to an "as new" standard, but that would be missing the point of us restoring the car together. Granted it won't be perfect, but it will be at a standard that leaves space for small improvements over the years to come.

The plating process is really quite straight forward and best described via this video I found on you tube:

It starts with wire brushing each bolt.

Leaving them to soak for a couple of days in this:

Bilt-Hamber Deox-C

If all the rust has been removed then a quick wire brush again (otherwise wire brush and return to the solution for another couple of days).

Wire up and leave the bolts in the plating solution as described in the video (I had a bunch of old C type batteries to plunder for the Zinc. The Vinegar was about 29p for 500ml from Home bargains). We used a power pack where you can adjust the output (Set on 3v - Anymore and it can cause the plating solution to crystallise and form clumps on the bolts).

Left the bolts for about an hour in a well ventilated space.

We were more than happy with the results. Just need more batteries/zinc now.

Next up is to re-fit the brakes.

Edited by James.

Since the last update we've been quite busy.

Re-itted the fuel tank.

IMG_1753.JPG

Installed the refurbished brakes ( Silver plated and re-built c/o the wonderful team at Biggred - Superb service and couldn't recommend them enough ).

Brake calipers restored.jpg

IMG_1986.JPG

Had another go at plating (this time with Nickel).

Zinc plate test 1.jpg

Jet washed and de-greased the gearbox (drenching and filling my wellies in the process).

IMG_2829.JPG

Wire brushed and cleaned the engine. Treated and painted the block satin black. Then sent the engine off to be re-built with new internals.

IMG_2808.JPG

IMG_2807.JPG

IMG_2810.JPG

Got the car back on 4 wheels and moving around the garage (I soon after made some dollys).

Wheels on.jpg

Edited by James.

Looking great and those brake callipers are fantastic. Biggred did the ones on my storm in the same finish, they look great behind the wheels

Do you mind sharing how much bigg red charged James? I've got a set of rear calipers and carriers I want doing. Thanks

Don’t mind at all Hasan.

Calipers and carriers were £250 all in and delivered back. The service and end product was simply outstanding. The team there kept me updated all the way through the process and returned them back to me exactly as promised.

What really made the difference was that two weeks after I received them back, one morning without my head on, I went to clean the threads out of the rear carriers. Used the wrong pitch tap and ripped the thread out.

After Chris Ferry hooked me up with a set of carriers. I got in touch with Biggred, posted the carriers on. After a couple of weeks (and £30 ) they sent me the carriers back, to exactly the same standard as previous

I had a go at restoring the brakes myself at first but wasn’t happy with the finish. Wish I’d just sent them there in the first place.

Ho hum, you live and learn I suppoose.

Edited by James.

They look great! I sent mine to them (Big Redd) last week as it happens. Silver electroplating was a little more but hopefully they come back looking as good as yours. My fronts were in good order so confident they will, but the rears were in pretty poor shape so fingers crossed!

Completely forgot about updating the thread. Which is a shame as a lot has happened since last time.

Spent mornings, days and evenings, tidying up, painting, cleaning, wire brushing all the bits that need to back on.

And then fitted em'.

IMG_2912.JPG

IMG_2918.JPG

IMG_2971.JPG

IMG_2994.JPG

IMG_3204.JPG

IMG_3057.JPG

IMG_3065.JPG

IMG_3088.JPG

IMG_3088.JPG

IMG_3092.JPG

Edited by James.

On 4/25/2020 at 1:52 PM, ger040 said:

shame about using child labour though!!

Oscar's a part owner so it's all good.

And then this happened:

Detached the engine from the stand. Where it's been there for nine long, dusty, cold years. With the exception of the top end, when it was sent of to be skimmed last month. Subsequently, the new chains, stem seals, head gasket, guides and carriers were fitted.

Fitted the Sachs clutch and gearbox (that was awkward on my own !).

Bumped and dragged (carefully mind you) the engine into the engine bay.

Started on checking the wiring and loom over (five breaks were found, cleaned, soldered and heat shrunk back into place).

Next is filling it with fluids and getting it to fire up (but they're on order for the moment), so in the mean time, I'll start work on cleaning up the back of the bumper and the underside of the slam panel (I can't stand overspray, even if it is factory supplied as standard !).

IMG_3127.JPG

IMG_3203.JPG

IMG_3209.JPG

IMG_3213.JPG

Edited by James.

Wow looks will tidy you could eat your dinner off that engine or any part of the car by the looks of it- great work  ! Are there any obsolete parts that you are short of? Any chance you can post a picture of the silver sticker on the under bonnet as I think mine is missing? 

Cheers. 

Edited by Keyo

That looks awesome,  aircon as well. Have you tried fitting the aircon hose to the compressor yet. Nightmare with the oil filter housing. But looking at all of the car, a piece of cake for you.

On 5/2/2020 at 3:25 PM, Keyo said:

Are there any obsolete parts that you are short of?

Any chance you can post a picture of the silver sticker on the under bonnet as I think mine is missing? 

Yes and yes.

I've a page of bits and pieces that it needs. The big items of which are

- Drivers side outer window seal (Can't find or get to one quick enough). 

- Under bumper air deflectors (left and right).

- Diavia condenser (air con). 

Amazing to see how many small pieces have gone missing over the years. If anyone's holding any of the above, then drop me a message.

Here's the bonnet graphic (99m wide // 73mm tall). Might be worth checking if it would be period correct, as I don't remember seeing them on many cars.

IMG_3369.JPG

On 5/2/2020 at 5:05 PM, ChrisL said:

Stunning James, worth the wait. So clean, bet your pleased with it.

I am thanks Chris. There's still a way to go, but there's light at the end of the tunnel now. Not sure most people would have waited nine years to get it back on the road. But the time has flown by and now feels like I was never away.

23 hours ago, Cressa said:

That looks awesome,  aircon as well. Have you tried fitting the aircon hose to the compressor yet.

I have. The pipework had been "adjusted" by the good folks at Diavia when fitted so there's no issue there. Going to get the car running first and worry about the air con at a later date. It never ran right when I bought the car and then the condenser let go just before I took it off the road.

Edited by James.

7 minutes ago, James. said:

Yes and yes.

I've a page of bits and pieces that it needs. The big items of which are

- Drivers side outer window seal (Can't find or get to one quick enough). 

- Under bumper air deflectors (left and right).

- Diavia condenser (air con). 

Amazing to see how many small pieces are missing. If anyone's holding any of the above, then drop me a message.

Here's the bonnet graphic (99m wide // 73mm tall). Might be worth checking if it would be period correct, as I don't remember seeing them on many cars.

IMG_3369.JPG

I am thanks Chris. There's still a way to go, but there's light at the end of the tunnel now. Not sure most people would have waited nine years to get it back on the road. But the time has flown by and now feels like I was never away.

I have. The pipework had been "adjusted" by the good folks at Diavia when fitted so there's no issue there. Going to get the car running first and worry about the air con at a later date. It never ran right when I bought the car and then the condenser let go just before I took it off the road.

Ok thanks for that.

Cressa is the expert on aircon the other parts are available new but not cheap.  

535837440A Window seal outer right 

https://www.volkswagen-classic-parts.de/en/fensterfuhrung-corrado-f8e0d5.html

Left and right air guide 535805825D + 535805826A 

https://www.volkswagen-classic-parts.de/en/luftfuehrung-9673f3.html    

https://www.volkswagen-classic-parts.de/en/luftfuhrungskanal-bremsbeluftung-corrado-a5475e.html

Screws and bolts can be see on diagram no 15 and 14. 

5 minutes ago, Keyo said:

Cressa is the expert on aircon the other parts are available new but not cheap.  

535837440A Window seal outer right 

https://www.volkswagen-classic-parts.de/en/fensterfuhrung-corrado-f8e0d5.html

Left and right air guide 535805825D + 535805826A 

https://www.volkswagen-classic-parts.de/en/luftfuehrung-9673f3.html    

https://www.volkswagen-classic-parts.de/en/luftfuhrungskanal-bremsbeluftung-corrado-a5475e.html

Screws and bolts can be see on diagram no 15 and 14. 

Thanks for that. Really helpful. I found a couple of other parts from VW classic Germany, so I'll add them to the wish list.

It's the drivers outer window scraper seal that I need. I remember Vintage Rubber in the states were making noise about putting them into production. Just have to sit tight and see what happens.

26 minutes ago, Cressa said:

https://www.autoairconparts.co.uk/universal-condenser-aftermarket-part-ssp022301.html

Is the direct replacement condensor. And you will need to change the drier that fits on the front  I used a Hella part at less that 30 pounds. 

And that is EXACTLY what I needed someone to do. I'll add stripping the brackets off the old one to the jobs list.

31 minutes ago, Cressa said:

And both will help with the shiny engine bay that you have

20200321_105409.jpg

Oh they will indeed !

Those connections on the replacement condenser look much better than the ones I have. The neck and connector on the one I have are copper and literally peeled away like an old plaster when I removed them.

Is your install a Diavia system from the dealer, or did you install it yourself ?