corozin

Please sign the fuel tax Petition

Quentin Willson is petitioning Downing Street on Tuesday for the scrapping of the planned April fuel tax rises, and the introduction of the price stabiliser that David Cameron promised us before the election.

For what it's worth, support them by signing the online petition at Fairfuel.co.uk

Signed of course. Think £1.35 a litre for V-Power (which is what I paid on Friday) is a bit exorbitant personally and it's only going to get worse :|

Signed up and sent the link to everyone in my address book. No harm in spreading the word.

You may be right that it's a petition that will be largely ignored, but still we have to at least try. I suspect that if bloody Mumsnet kicked off about it something would be done. Motorists just aren't a demographic that politicians feel they have to take notice of.

Fortunately the press are starting to run with this issue at the moment so every bit of extra heckling adds to the noise. If we can at least encourage the media to keep on there is a chance that at least the next rise will be stopped.

Have to say I don't agree with the fuel stabiliser idea, I think it's the taxpayer subsidising the rich (again). The tax escalator has to stop though. Tax on fuel should either be a fixed amount per litre or VAT should be used.

Have to say I don't agree with the fuel stabiliser idea, I think it's the taxpayer subsidising the rich (again). The tax escalator has to stop though. Tax on fuel should either be a fixed amount per litre or VAT should be used.

Agree with this. The stabiliser is a diversion tactic. It doesn't address the fact that there is fundamentally too much duty on fuel.

Imagine year on year, they increased VAT and income tax. It's not really much different. A fundamental shift is required, not some silly stabiliser. We'll love it when the price of oil rockets, but when it goes back down, we'll all want the benefit - which won't happen because 'behind the scenes' we got the benefit.

Bring back the fuel protests, I'll happily live with the inconvenience as the point is proves is immense.

Signed.

Frankly the main reason inflation is running high is fuel duty, increased fuel prices means it costs more to move good around, so you pay more to fill up, more for food, clothes etc - vicious circle.

Erm, it's nothing to do with fuel duty, per se, it's the price of fuel going up that's causing inflation .. The duty hasn't changed, it's the same % of the fuel price as it was last year.

Erm, it's nothing to do with fuel duty, per se, it's the price of fuel going up that's causing inflation .. The duty hasn't changed, it's the same % of the fuel price as it was last year.

Hmm, is it not going up in April (again)?!

Yup, a projected 5p per litre after the government increase and the oil companies jumping on the bandwagon according to a report the other day.

What I found strange was that they couldn't implement the "petrol price relief" for the islands and and isolated areas without EU approval. What the heck has the EU got to do with internal taxation and relief or am I missing something.

Yep, but that has no impact on inflation NOW, obviously..! :)

Right, so are you ignoring the VAT element then? :)

Fuel duty went up as of the 1st of January this year (0.76p in duty, 2.5% in VAT) and regardless of where the cost increase comes from, duty, VAT or $/barrel, then if fuel prices rise it adds to inflation due to increased costs to move goods.

The duty element of the fuel price adds to inflation as companies and individuals still have to move goods and people, if it costs 0.76p more per litre then the cost of that increase has to be felt somewhere in the supply chain, haulage firms charge more to supermarkets etc which in turn is passed onto the consumer - ultimately increasing the cost of day to day necessities and increasing inflation figures.

Signed.

I can't believe fuel has gone up £1 / litre in 1 year!

£15 more to fill the same 15 Gall tank, than this time last year. That's gonna hurt some folk.

But still, on the flip side to balance the argument, people happily pay 3 x that for Sky TV subs, or monthly phone contracts, or gym memberships, et al. It strikes me as slightly hypocritical and ironic that people can moan like hell about fuel prices going up, but are happy to pay through the nose for unnecessary 'luxuries'.

Fuel prices have NEVER been stable. We can't go through life expecting equilibrium. We have to account for rises in the cost of living when we do our budgetting. Yes we're being fleeced and yes it's annoying, but at the root of it all, who is to REALLY blame? Yep, we are. The buying public. We just simply do not know how to cut back.

The ONLY way to fight back is to simply not buy their fuel in the first place, but no one is willing to inconvenience themselves in the short term for the longer term benefit.