seanl82

Seanl82's ringer Storm

Thanks Rob, me too but I reckon I may have to cut it off. Gonna try a bit of heat tomorrow and see how that works.........

I've just read the whole first page post - and now going to have a skim over the last few pages seeing how she's looking now. And try and find out if its a Storm or not! It's like a good story that I need to find out the ending 2 years later! haha..

Looking to get my own VR6 over the next 6 months or so so really good to read stories like this. Thanks :D

You may be there for a while if you read the whole thread! Lots done though tbh, and I've tried to do things properly but on a reasonable budget rather than at all costs. How it looks now is from page 72 onwards, although I've managed to scuff off a 5p size of paint on the rear bumper parking it it the garage which I rented to ironically keep it preserved for the last year. :rolleyes:

Slight update in that I managed to get the N/S track rod end off nice and easy with the help of a blow torch for a minute or so, but I'm waiting on the arrival of an electric impact wrench to undo the inner drive shaft bolts as I trashed the outer CV (retaining circlips) whilst changing the balljoints. In my infinite wisdom, I thought replacing the entire shaft with inner and outer CVs would be easier. In hindsight, not such a great idea. :rolleyes: The joys of driveway mechanics aren't all they're cracked up to be, I don't think I appreciated just how good I had it with the ramp!!! lol.

Oh, and I just watched the Wheeler Dealer episode of the Corrado again to help me along! lol

Nice to see you back getting your hands dirty on the Corrado again Sean !

Let me know if you need any tools or anything to borrow :)

Thanks Daren! I did think of you for the impact wrench, but thought you'd probably need it for work anyway and its a very handy tool to have regardless. Once this is done it should be ready for MOT again. Got a million jobs I want to do but its finding the time to take if off the road this year unfortunately, which is counter productive I realise as its underside work I want to do! I literally have a couple of dust covers to get for the suspension to go on that I've had for a year, or wait until late summer and change it when I want to do the rest of the underside and do it all in one go................

You may be there for a while if you read the whole thread! Lots done though tbh, and I've tried to do things properly but on a reasonable budget rather than at all costs. How it looks now is from page 72 onwards, although I've managed to scuff off a 5p size of paint on the rear bumper parking it it the garage which I rented to ironically keep it preserved for the last year. :rolleyes:

Slight update in that I managed to get the N/S track rod end off nice and easy with the help of a blow torch for a minute or so, but I'm waiting on the arrival of an electric impact wrench to undo the inner drive shaft bolts as I trashed the outer CV (retaining circlips) whilst changing the balljoints. In my infinite wisdom, I thought replacing the entire shaft with inner and outer CVs would be easier. In hindsight, not such a great idea. :rolleyes: The joys of driveway mechanics aren't all they're cracked up to be, I don't think I appreciated just how good I had it with the ramp!!! lol.

Oh, and I just watched the Wheeler Dealer episode of the Corrado again to help me along! lol

My NSF CV was stuck solid in the hub, I had to use a press to get it out (3 legged puller failed miserably), I'd recommend spraying penetration fluid prior to removal to allow it to soak in if necessary.

The outer CV is out thankfully. Came out pretty easily once the wheel was on, car was back on the ground and I could get the hub nut off. The problem was that the CV and shaft separated whilst I was moving it around. I've removed the outer CV, but the shaft is obviously loose and free to rotate. I know if I try to remove the inner bolts the shaft will just turn (just thought, I suppose I could put it in gear to stop this), but I've ordered an Impact wrench to get them off without having to keep it from rotating. It was easy on the 4 post lift where I could get under it whilst it was on the platform, loosen a couple of the bolts, lift it up and rotate the drive shaft, drop it down and loosen the rest. The impact wrench is a good investment for when I finally get round to the suspension anyway, as I had a bit of a mare trying to remove the top nut last time although I *******ised an old long socket so I could rotate it with an adjustable whilst using an allen key down the centre to keep the shock from rotating. Either way, the impact wrench makes life a whole lot easier!

The outer CV is out thankfully. Came out pretty easily once the wheel was on, car was back on the ground and I could get the hub nut off. The problem was that the CV and shaft separated whilst I was moving it around. I've removed the outer CV, but the shaft is obviously loose and free to rotate. I know if I try to remove the inner bolts the shaft will just turn (just thought, I suppose I could put it in gear to stop this), but I've ordered an Impact wrench to get them off without having to keep it from rotating. It was easy on the 4 post lift where I could get under it whilst it was on the platform, loosen a couple of the bolts, lift it up and rotate the drive shaft, drop it down and loosen the rest. The impact wrench is a good investment for when I finally get round to the suspension anyway, as I had a bit of a mare trying to remove the top nut last time although I *******ised an old long socket so I could rotate it with an adjustable whilst using an allen key down the centre to keep the shock from rotating. Either way, the impact wrench makes life a whole lot easier!

The next time you have the wheel off and want to undo the hub nut just put an old screwdriver or similar in the disk vent against the caliper.

I have a Sealey 24V gun, but still have to crack tight stuff off with a long bar

Tried that, just bent the screwdriver! Lol

Inner drive shaft bolts have been off last year so shouldn't present too much of a problem with a bit of torque hopefully.

Managed to get the first 5 drive shaft bolts off with the impact gun, last one rounded off though. Grinder with a cutting disk saw to that and I had a couple of spare spacers and bolts so all was well. All sorted and back on the ground now, so I'll phone the MOT station Monday and get it booked in. No other obvious problems but I'll see if they find anything as they usually do. (Slight play in rear wheel bearings almost guaranteed!).

So, just had the MOT but it failed unfortunately. Rear brake and handbrake efficiency, both linked to the calipers I think. I've got a set of mk4 calipers and conversion hoses I've had for quite a while, so I'll get them on and should have a clean ticket hopefully.

1 advisory was O/S/R brake pipe slightly corroded, so a wire wheel on the Dremel and some stone chip should sort that until I get around to replacing all the pipes eventually.

Edited by seanl82

Always disappointing to fail an MOT but then a chance for upgrades is always welcome :)

Fitted the mk4 calipers today but I'm having a mare bleeding them again. Got better the 2nd or 3rd time round but still not good enough. I'll try again in a couple of days with the eezibleed and I'll rope the missus in if I have to, but fed up with it now so if it's not sorted after that, I'll be paying someone to do it. Also just ordered a Golf v5 starter motor as mine is getting worse. I can see myself being stranded somewhere if it's not changed soon. Geometry is way off as well but I'm putting it off for a couple of weeks until I fit the suspension, (Have everything I need now to bolt em straight on) then I'll be calling JMR for a trip down there to get it sorted.

Ahhh back into the fold, I remember enjoying all this before! :rolleyes:

The known corrado bleeding nightmare... I've changed mine and after 4 times pressure bleeding it all, the pedal travel is still rubbish. I look forward to knowing how you sort it

Are the calipers sided ? I only ask because my tt calipers wasnt and i hasd accidentally put the caliper on the wrong side thus bleed nipple at the bottom

After getting mine back together I wasn't sure if I had all the air out or not , the pedal felt OK but not great.

As it turns out Ive had to remove my new (bba reman) abs pump as it still has a fault with a valve so will have it all to do again anyway :bonk:

We should have a brake bleeding party !

Matt, yeah they are on the correct side with bleed nipples to the top mate, I did stop for a second to think which side they should go on when fitting them though!

Daren, that's a pain! All back together just to pull it all apart again! That's disappointing.

TBH, I'll probably just give it to the test centre to bleed then they can pass it there and then. I don't have the enthusiasm to go through the whole palarva again, although it was easy when I swapped all the hoses for braided last time on this one. I had an utter mare with the aqua blue one I sold on though so it's put me off.

Think I'll just leave it to those with a proper pressure bleeder!

Sean, a couple of things to try which helped when I did mine- firstly was to bleed out every union as it was an empty system- so all the unions going into the abs pump, and the unions going into the calipers etc.

Then, with the rear calipers, I wound the Pistons right back to minimise any voids within and then removed them from their carriers, put a piece of disc-thickness metal in the gap between the pads and elevated the calipers while bleeding them to remove the high point in the flexi. After doing those things I managed to get an excellent pedal and we were only bleeding using the usual 2 man pump-bleed method.

I had previously bought a vacuum bleeder and couldn't get anywhere using that.

Cheers Theo. If the weather isn't too bad, I'm gonna try again on Tuesday. If I get nowhere, it'll have to be done by the garage as I need the car from next Monday. Should have pulled my finger out sooner I suppose!

Not sure if I introduced air into the braking system when using the eezibleed, so roped the missus in again to do it manually. A further 2 litres through the entire system, and still no dice. Dropping it off to the garage tomorrow morning for them to do. Hopefully they can do it before Monday, but if not it's tough I suppose. Never had a problem with this car after doing the whole system from dry, then replacing all hoses but this time it's got me. First time I've had to let the "professionals" do any work on this car, but they have a vacuum bleeder and I don't!