seanl82

Seanl82's ringer Storm

Hope you have a good time mate, and just think of that first drive once you're back!

Safe trip mate ill send you my adress so you can post me out a foreign choccy bar haha

Seriously though have a good time and take it easy im sure next year will be a bit more fun filled with the car getting out more

Well, 10 months later and the car is coming back out! I've had to bring the car home because I need to give up the garage, and due to the fact I've accumulated so much crap I'm gonna have to sell a few bits as I don't have the space to store them, so standby for a few sale threads. Car was running rough when I bought it home, and a quick VCDS scan threw up MAF and ISV. Car ran better as soon as I unplugged the MAF, so I took it out and gave it a thorough blasting with electrical contact cleaner and went over the element with a cotton bud. A good blast through the ISV with carb cleaner, all left to dry out a bit and the running issues are now solved. No more fault codes anyway, but I may get spares of both just in case.

MOT expires today too and I need a couple of tyres for that. The ball joints and track rod ends were advisories last year and I've had them since a week after the last one, but didn't get around to fitting them before I left so I'll get that done pre-MOT too.

Still have the Bilstein B12 Kit and the Mk4 rear calipers to fit which will probably wait until Easter now, or at least when its a little drier outside.

Thats all for now, hopefully a few more updates in the coming months! :thumbleft:

Nice to get the old girl out Sean . They don't like being left standing . Not that you have much choice, with work . All good in the end though.

Cheers Rob, how you doing Theo! :thumbleft: All good here mate.

I didn't get to drive it far, about 1/4 mile from the garage to the drive!

It was a bit lumpy at idle but revved fine, so I gave it a very quick blast and all seemed fine! Fuel is probably a bit stale though as well so hopefully a fresh tank full of Super and a good long run and she'll be singing!

:)

You down for new year mate, be good to catch up.

Rog.

Alright Rog, inlaws are coming here now so no. Probably be down around February though mate, I'll let you know. :thumbleft:

Started the ball joints and track rod ends yesterday but run into a few snags. First off it was as I originally suspected and the old ones seemed perfectly fine. Drop links though were a little worse for wear so I've replaced them. The steering rack boots had started cracking so I ordered a pair of them which should arrive today, but I can't get the bloody n/s rod end off. The locking nut is free but the end is stuck fast. O/S one came off really easily, but have snags that side too. I've managed to destroy the outer CV joint whilst pulling the knuckle about, so just ordered a whole new drive shaft incl inner & outer CVs from JR for £50 delivered, which is excellent value but an expense I could have done without. Starter motor is sticking a bit too so there's another one which will need sorting before long.

Never goes smoothly does it! :rolleyes:

Sounds like fun! I'm going to be doing all this myself soon and I must admit I'm a bit worried things aren't going to go smoothly.

You back home for a while now then mate?

Its never easy Mic! Yeah aside from a few weeks away the second half of the year, Its going to be relatively quiet until May.

The ship is pretty much being mothballed from April so I'm moving onto another after that. Hoping to make a few shows this year though. :)

Well sounds like you'll have time to be showing us all up again by progressing the car even further!

Got any particular shows in mind? Always good to meet other members, put faces to names etc. I'm hoping to be at a few more myself this year.

Well I don't have access to the lift and indoor work space I used to have, do its all driveway mechanics which means at this time of year, enthusiasm and ability to do the jobs is even more at a premium. I've also got to use it for work for the next few months so I won't be able to undertake the bigger jobs I'd like to do. Hopefully make some progress though, just not as much as I would have hoped.

Got to love driveway mechanics lol . It is hard this time of year , black as ya hat , before you know it and it doesn't stop raining!. Hope you get those track rods sorted Sean .