markTTC

Lupo GTi front wiper conversion - See Page 23!!! for update

The lupo blades look like you can put refills in them, anyone tried? Not because I'm tight but so I can put some better quality rubber in them! They only seem to last about 3 months, tops, when the average blade life is a year.

Hmmm, well, was down Halfords recently and they had a set of similair style Bosch refills at about £23 a set :shock: Guess Stealers will work out cheaper until demand increases and they become more common at general motor factors....

'The lupo blades look like you can put refills in them, anyone tried? Not because I'm tight but so I can put some better quality rubber in them! They only seem to last about 3 months, tops, when the average blade life is a year.'

Sorry to drag this up again, but there still seems to be a difference of opinion over which setup is best - 2x drivers arms (and probably 1 passenger blade) or 1x drivers and 1x passenger arms.

Ok, I got the "other" set of part numbers - the slightly cheaper setup - by having the driver's arm-and-blade plus the passenger arm-and-blade packs.

They work great, really impressed - but the only drawback is the passenger arm doesn't have the angled offset at the base - so the arm pretty much sticks out straight from the spline nut and along the screen. Which *works* fine, but it's a little bit awkward getting them to sit off the screen with the bonnet down.

My set was 6X2 998 405 and 6X2 998 406.

dr_mat, if I understand your post correctly with the setup you've used you can't lift the wipers as normal. Yet in a previous post chris CORRADO has used the same setup and doesn't have any problems.

Could anybody whose done this mod on a VR6 confirm which setup they've used and whether you can lift the arms as normal when the bonnet's closed. I've read through this post a number of times now and I'm still confused. :?

Cheers.

Correct - the arm that is listed as "passenger side" won't lift correctly. Well, maybe it will clear the bonnet, but only if it's not lying flat across the bottom of the screen. The elbow at the base is much smaller, and as a result it is just slightly too close to the bonnet..

Don't forget, these cars are all hand built, it wouldn't surprise me if Chris Corrado's blades worked fine, maybe his wiper mounting points are in slightly different places? It'd only take a few mm, tbh.

As far as I can tell, the best result would come from 2* driver's side ARMS, and 1 each of the BLADES. It's up to you... :)

As far as I can tell, the best result would come from 2* driver's side ARMS, and 1 each of the BLADES. It's up to you... :)

Yup, that's the set up which worked on my car... one of each arm just wouldn't allow the passenger arm to be lifted without fouling on the bonnet, and I don't want some numpty to lift the arm to stick spam under it at a show and end up damaging my paint! :roll:

1x drivers arm and blade on the drivers side, and 1x drivers arm and passenger blade on the passenger side works beautifully, and also allows you a spare arm and blade to modify to fit to the rear too! ;) :lol: 8)

dr_mat, Henny, thanks for the advice. I went for the 2 drivers arms and a passenger blade and fitted them this morning (in the rain). So far, they do seem to work really well - I can actually see where I'm going when it's raining :D

They also look much better on the car than I was expecting, and I much prefer them to standard 8) . Guess I'll have to do the rear one now too!

Ordered mine yesterday and collected them this morning! Very pleased with fit / sweep... very good service from VW in Guildford and got the Club discount no problems 8)

Went for this combination:

2x 6x2998406 Wiper arm and blade

1x 1J2955425A Driver side blade

Whole lot came to a couple of quid shy of £50 :D

so right then guys from the beginning, :shock:

i need 2 x 6x2998406 and

1x 1j2955425a, sounds sweet enough. this subject must be somthing of a record, :D

Does anybody else find the blades last about 3 weeks before they start juddering?

Yeah I noticed that too.

I have the 'originals' before all these revisions..... Must be about 9 months on and still working perfectly. ;)

Edit: Just found the receipt.... Got them back in Nov. 2002, so they're doing perfectly fine and 16 months old 8) Pah to your new designs!

They judder because (at least on mine) the passenger side blade gets stuck in one orientation and doesn't "pop" to the other, so on the upward sweep, the blade is being pushed across the screen, rather than being drawn across. Ideally you should flip the rubber across so it rests in the other position sometimes.

Update!

VAG have stopped selling the blades separately!! And changed the part numbers again!

You can only get blades with the wiper arms £20 + VAT. I tried today. I have ordered two drivers arms and haven't bothered with the passenger side. Not sure on the new numbers but will let you know when they arrive.

Found out today while I was there that

GSF SELL A BOSCH REPLACEMENT AEROBLADE SET FOR £20 - DRIVERS AND PASSENGERS SIDE TOGETHER.

They have it listed for the new Polo but they look the same and I checked with VAG as to the sizes and they are correct. 19" and 21" blades.

Obviously VAG cottoned on to the fact that everybody is doing the mod and can use it to rake in some more cash. Looks like the way to do it now is get the set from GSF and 2 drivers blades/arms from VAG. Slight price increase to approx £60+VAT before any discount though.

Thats rubbish mate, go back to the dealer...

Of course the blades are available seperatly, people with Lupo's / Polo's arn't expected to buy a new arm everytime they need a blade!! - my local dealer usually keeps the blades in stack and if not gets them next day.

I would tend to agree with you there Steve but John (parts bloke) did mention that the arms 'appear' to be part of the blade now, even though the blade and arm are still shown as seperate items on Ekta. He also said there was only 5 passenger blades and 3 driver's in the UK warehose. Feckin crap. It's not as if wipers are essential or anything :roll:

OK this is a long thread and ive not got the time to read ALL of it. have skim read parts. I basically want to know if anybody has performed a SINGLE WIPER modification to their corrado and still have it wash wipe and perform intermittant and all speeds and feel standard?

Regards

I have seen a few C's with mono-wipers but they just don't look right, it suits the mk2 but the Lupo's are definetly the way to go with the Corrado! :wink:

Hmm....not sure really. I quite like the single wiper look. Anyone else?

Did the Lupo wiper conversion over the weekend - It is well worth the money, I've owned my C for over 5 years and did the dremel mod but was never happy with it. Lupo wipers work! :shock:

I used 2 x 6X2998406 (arm & blade) lose one blade and fit 1x 1J2955425A (blade)

Just rang the asking about prices etc from local VW garage. been quoted £54. Is this about right?

Also the parts guy I was speaking to said that these arms etc are "very similar to the MK4 golfs" is this true???

good thing is, they're in stock so me will be looking at fitting these at the weekend.

I did the Lupo wiper mod on mine at weekend, I can see again!!! Total cost was £70ish, but worth while. I did however have around a months wait for one of the arms to come into the country. Parts bloke said 'It sounds like a Corrado wiper conversion to me', guess he's sold loads.

Reggit, £70, jeeesus, have these gone up in price drastically recently, or are the prices being, ahem, adjusted when VW see a strong demand. Sure I paid under £36 for my arm/blade set about 6 months ago!