Jim

Advise - problem with lock-up garage, letting agents evasive..

I currently rent a garage in Coventry, and between me and my old man have probably rented it for a little over 20 years. In the couple of years or so the door has become increasingly dodgy and in serious need of replacement, finally culminating in it breaking (I think pretty fundamentally) about 4 months ago.

Since then I've been trying to get the letting agents to do something about it but they've been infuriating evasive and are basically just ignoring my calls. About a month into this saga, I did manage to get a guy to come out and look and measure it up for replacement accepting it was basically shagged - and that's it. I don't hassle them regularly, but give a phone call once every couple of weeks - they take my number down and say they'll get back to me, and then never do. I'm really starting to lose my temper. It's made even worse by the fact that, at the time I called this in, I was storing a reasonably valuable classic car in the garage and was concerned about a) damage from the door falling in on it and b) thievery (as it wouldn't keep anyone out!) and they seemed concerned at the time, but have done basically nothing.

Where do I stand? Is there an ombudsmen for this? They've clearly got zero interest in rectifying the problem and I'm prepared to go above them if I have to?

I need the garage sorting as I'm planning to store the Corrado there next year - but am not sure I'm ever going to get a resolution at this rate!

Thanks.

Have a look at any paperwork Jim. If they're an established agent they should be associated with a regulatory body which they should advertise on the paperwork.

There is a property ombudsman too. Phone the agent and tell them your intention, and give them 48 hours to formally respond to you with a date to fix it. If they don't come back to you, email them both and CC the estate agent on it. Give them a call again and tell them what you've done, and this should spark them into action. If not, let their authorities process it, and hopefully come to some sort of decision. Be advised though, it could take a while if they don't get the hint........

I always find it better to deal with people face to face rather than over the phone.

To add, a couple of thing I'll stress is that its important to keep your cool if doing it over it on the phone. Make sure you tell them the problem, what you want done, and give them an achievable time frame to do it. Tell them you want updates if need be too. Stick to your plan, but don't stop paying unless its a very last resort. You won't loose any deposit if its been done through the DPS either. But you'll be seeing the owner off possibly un-necessarily as they may not even know about it. I let a house in Plymouth, and for the first 18 months used an agent. There were a couple of issues over the winter of the first year, that my agent didn't inform me of, and were evasive to the tenants. I left my email with her luckily and she contacted me direct after a few months of no joy with the agent. After a few harsh words, they then let themselves into the house unannounced which is illegal. My tenant is a single mother of 3, so to come home to a random guy upstairs in her house was very upsetting and obviously very scary. This happened twice! Needless to say, I'm no longer involved with an agent and let it directly now.

I had some issues from a tenants point of view. I was basically mugged off over the phone. I found sitting in the agents office on a Saturday morning politely, firmly and with a loudish tone, complaining about their lack of service and how I've been treated, soon cured my fault.

I didn't enjoy doing it nor did I feel big or clever but I'd been mugged off and nothing was working.

I privately 'rent' a garage from someone I work with. I say 'rent' as she refuses to take any money from me. She came into work the other day though and said she's sold her house and is moving in a couple of weeks. I have no idea where i'll store 2 years of 'stuff' yet, but it'll be fun working it out! :lol:

hope you get it sorted jim.....

I had an accident with our double garage door a few years ago.... it was a heavy wood up and over affair about 30 years old that got used daily, kept putting off replacing it..... until one day whilst the garage door was open one of the pins holding the spring decided to sheer. garage door collapsed onto 2 cars and a spring under tension smacked the side panel.

Cheers for the thoughts / feedback all. It's looking like a face to face initially, followed up by writing letters to the folks as advised by Sean are going to be the only way to get some movement on this.

Have you reviewed your tenancy agreement? There should be a suitable repairs and maintenance clause in there with which to start talking to them from a legal stand point.

I know a bit about contract law as I'm often having to deal with these kind of things at work. The best advice I can give is to try and read/understand your agreement. It's much easier to quote clauses and specifics then they'll find it harder to wriggle out of anything. And always put everything in writing. If you go to their office to have a conversation make sure you follow it up immediately with a letter or email clarifying the points you've discussed, include time and dates of meeting and of any actions agreed.

Hope you get it sorted mate

That's a good question - I've not got any of the tenancy agreement. My old man rents the garage, but I just use it (and pay the rent to him). I'll ring him tonight and ask him to have a look.

Definitely get that if you can. You may also find they'll be funny about speaking to you rather than your Dad. Don't do anything until you've got those documents otherwise you may do or say something that makes it worse completely by accident.

Step one is send the complaint in WRITING..!! Nothing will happen if you don't.

It's old fashioned, but people are still unable to ignore a bit of paper with words on it. Certainly a hell of a lot less than they can ignore an occasional phone call. If I were you I would explain that since the garage is not secure you've not been able to actually use it and request they refund your rent until it's fixed.

Jim I am with Sean, mic and mat with this always put any converstaion in writing to confirm any discussions. Also yes if you can get the agreement for your dad then study it well. That will show you who is responsible for any repairs. I used to rent one for a while and the owners of teh garage complex werevery adverse to doing any repairs. My door was very poor and didnt shut properly and also leaked. In the time I rented it they still never go round to fixing it!

Any way hope you manage to sort it out reasonably well.

Yeah - writing a letter had been in my mind. The only thing that stopped me was that I'd made all previous enquiries by phone and have a horrible recollection for dates so have no idea how often I've contacted them and when. Thanks for the suggestions though. Will start giving them some proper stick after xmas I think.

Would it be better to go from the dangerous to the general public angle? Blame there's a claim etc.

A recorded delivery letter stating the danger of collapse onto a pedestrian / child etc enclose copies of pics of rusted fixings, glass falling out and rotten timber?

I would definitely check the contract and see the dates of the agreement etc. There is no security of tenure for garages so the landlord would normally be able to serve notice in accordance with the terms of the agreement. This would normally only be a few weeks. I would expect that the agreement is non assignable so any complaints etc would have to be made by the lease holder.

I have a little experience with this, basically I rent a small property and have recently had to evict the tenants after things got a bit nasty, I was very naive when I first rented the place (over 15 years ago) and took a lot on trust but after a nightmare 7 odd months and no rent I now have a very good knowledge of rental law... and can tell you the odds are very heavily stacked in the favour of the tenants.

Anyway, my advice, send a letter recorded delivered (or email, as long as you have a record) stating that the door is damaged and you would like it fixed asap as the security of the garage is compromised... include loads of contact options so they can't say that they couldn't contact you... send it from your father but state that you are you are acting as his representative and he gives permission to them to deal with you direct.

Next, wait a while, I think a week is reasonable, then if nothing happens send another recorded letter, wait another week and if again nothing happens stop paying rent, send another letter stating that you are with holding rent until the issues you raised in the letter you sent (dates sent etc) are addressed, state that the rent money is being held in a holding account until the repair is carried out... hopefully things should start to happen after that... as folk have said above, letters or emails are your best choice of communication as they are traceable, telephone conversations are next to useless even if you have recorded them.

Good luck.

Rog.

Edited by Roger Chatfield

Post them a turd.

He doesn't post very often these days but the words of wisdom when he does are priceless!