KipVR

Re-manufactured Fog Light Lenses.

that would be great, to get brand new lenses for fogs,

maybe good idea to try to ask VW, to reproduce them, or at least let hella to do it,

but... would VW realy care about their old previous models, and about people needs to keep these cars stil on road,?

If You will look on VW classic parts online store,there is full of parts for VW corrado, but the problem is ,most of them arent the ones that corrado users realy need

all parts that we need, are unfortunently obsolete :scratch:

maybe good idea would be to start facebook fan page , and let peaople all over the world to tell VW , what parts we realy need,?

maybe that would show them, that there is stil many people ready to buy parts for their old models if these will be still available

but... parts we need, like fog lenses, headlight lenses, roof trims, scrapers, badges etc etc,

sounds strainge, but never know, maybe that would help?

Edited by tomi

I've only just noticed this thread,

that would be amazing to get these later fog light lenses reproduced,

shame really VW Heritage can't get hold of them,

but then I suppose they would be hellish expensive then ??

Looking on the VW Classic Parts site they do have the complete left side later style fog light unit,

but like always it's just the left side that's available and it's not cheep :(

I suppose we do have a few options.

1) Have them remade by VW Classic Parts (but only if we all chip in together ??)

2) Have them 3D printed possibly ??

3) Get new moulds made of the lenses by a good glass or plastic company, and have a batch reproduced ??

But all this has been mentioned already pretty much.

There might be more but this is what I can find regarding CORRADO OWNERS CLUBS below.

There's the ( Corrado owners Club UK )

( Corrado owners club canada )

( Corrado owners club Germany e.V )

( Corrado owners club France )

Or it's like what TOMI has already said and get a list together on facebook ??

Si

Sake!!, it would be OK if VW weren't useless

Precisely.

"We own the design / authority on producing these, but because we don't give a crap about the VW Corrado, you guys have no chance of ever seeing them again."

I guess we could ask Anna from VW Heritage whether she is able to contact Classic Parts in Germany as they may have the sway to help make it happen?

That's pants, but on the upside, the pair I have, have just doubled in value

ha ha mine too

guess those genuine hella replacement lenses will stay in the box a while longer lol

Precisely.

"We own the design / authority on producing these, but because we don't give a crap about the VW Corrado, you guys have no chance of ever seeing them again."

I guess we could ask Anna from VW Heritage whether she is able to contact Classic Parts in Germany as they may have the sway to help make it happen?

Possibly she could help Jim

We also have Thursdave who works in parts at VW - IIRC he was collating some kind of list of unavailable parts to try to request them I think

I am quite happy to get me lenses out the box & take dimensions etc if that helps anyone

Possibly she could help Jim

We also have Thursdave who works in parts at VW - IIRC he was collating some kind of list of unavailable parts to try to request them I think

I am quite happy to get me lenses out the box & take dimensions etc if that helps anyone

That's very good of you to offer. Hopefully I'm getting a second hand pair of fogs to replace my cracked one and then I'll have a spare glass to measure up. I really need to see the back of the glass to get the fluting and sealing rib to be an exact match.

That's very good of you to offer. Hopefully I'm getting a second hand pair of fogs to replace my cracked one and then I'll have a spare glass to measure up. I really need to see the back of the glass to get the fluting and sealing rib to be an exact match.

no problem Kip - just let me know if needed

I can take photos etc to send you as well as internal & external dimensions

I would say I could send them someone for templating but I would be worried about their transit etc

I have a spare set of glass I bought a long time ago, not hella but I can't remember who. I can dig them out later and double check sizes etc to make sure they will actually fit correctly, then I'll get accurate dimensions/photos

Spot on comment about ur quattro owners... I have one and parts can be a nightmare. I'm interested in a drivers side fog lamp lense or a pair or whatever gets done. Thanks

I spoke with the business development manager today as he is getting me some 3D models of products for work, to try and get some drawings but unfortunately got the same answer. He said to speak to vw, but said to let him know if we get anywhere so might try speak to someone in vw

I dont mind looking into getting these manufactured. Does anyone have any dimensions and drawings they could send me? Ideally if they are CAD drawings we can get them accurately produced.

What price would be considered affordable and reasonable? We can then also use this as a budget.

I think back in the day possibly the late 1990s the later type fog light lenses were roughly £50 each. Maybe that would be a bench mark to aim for, depending on quantity made ?

Many thanks

Si

Lenses for the late fogs were never available separately - they were sold as part of the whole fog/indicator assembly that sits in the bumper cavity - pretty sure that was more than £50.

There are at least three different sources of re-manufactured lenses that you would have to fit yourself to an old unit, and these come in at 100-200 for the pair. For a whole new unit I would be happy to pay up to 250, less if possible.

All the remade lenses tend to have some issues such as the markings and light pattern are incorrect or they can only be used with LED bulbs, but let's be careful not to duplicate effort here by repeating somebody else's mistakes and effort.

If potential buyers are just interested in replacement glass it might be better to see if we can organise a group buy to bring down the price.

I could of sworn they were available separately years ago, I must be thinking of a different car then, or like you say I'm thinking of the aftermarket lenses.

Yeah I know the whole fog light complete unit is available at Classic Parts, but it's only the one side and they're not cheap.

It's a shame VW hold the license/copy rights for these later type fogs, even if we all pester VW Classic Parts with this, I doubt they'll remake them, I could be wrong.

I'm hoping VW Classic Parts can do a new batch run of the outer window scraper rubber seals, that's being organised by one of the members on here, if that does get the go ahead, might be worth throwing other rare obsolete items at them to look at ?

Si

I remember several people saying fog light lenses off a Volvo 240 or Saab 900 *might* fit.

I think they might be these ones, made by Bosch, part number: 1305354933

http://the-corrado.net/showthread.php?14207-The-quot-what-I-did-to-my-Corrado-today-quot-thread&p=1212064&viewfull=1#post1212064

Although I've yet to see if anyone's actually used these.. The dimensions might be a bit off.

The dimensions, according to Amazon, are 23.4 x 13.6 x 11.4 cm

Edited by joebloggsVR69

What was the problem with the ones that someone had made , wasn’t it that they were made of plastic or something?.

What was the problem with the ones that someone had made , wasn’t it that they were made of plastic or something?.

Hi Rob yeah they were made by Chris (SPRINTER53) a member on here, I think they're acrylic glass or something, Chris has said we need to use LED bulbs only, as the OEM standard bulbs will distort or melt the acrylic glass.

I purchased a set from him late last year, and they are great quality, and look just like the original lenses.

But I think members/owners on here tend to prefer the OEM glass one's, to the acrylic replacements. Plus it would be handy having the compete fog light plastic surround assembly unit, as most are becoming brittle now after 24 plus years.

To be honest I'm in agreement with Fendervg I'd be happy paying up to £200 for a new fog light plastic surround assembly unit, like I say you can purchase a new one from VW Classic Parts, but it's only the one side that's available, it's been like that for years now, VW unfortunately just aren't interested ?

But if they did reproduce them they would sell out I'm sure, just like any other rare obsolete item/s, as long as the price isn't too high,

If VW aren't going to help or at least look in to this issue, then we've got no other option but to help our selves, and with great members like Chris (SPRINTER53) and DAVE16V, JIM, plus everyone else who've helped over the years, getting parts 3D scanned, producing parts out of stainless, making moulds for items, or buying in upgraded headlight switches.

It's about working together as a team to get the problem/s solved, which is why this forum is so important and the back bone to owning a Corrado.

Si :salute:

Edited by vw rule

I think Chris had two types made - one was mineral glass, and the other acrylic plastic. Laat I heard he was also working on a new improved version.

My opinion is that if we are just talking about re-manufacturing the lenses, then that is already well covered and there are options available - unless the plan would be to use hardened/tempered glass so that they wouldn't crack in the first place. If on the other hand we could get the whole unit with fog light remade by Classic Parts or someone else, then that would be worth shooting for.