Yandards

[STRECHED TYRE FOLKS] Read Me Please

Morning all,

For those of you that run stretched tyres DVLA have issued new guidance on if this is legal as of the 30th Oct 15, it would seem that in extreme cases cars can be failed for stretched tyres during an MOT although as with all things MOT is comes down to the tester concerned and some seem happy to fail a tyre for being out of the range of manufacturers recommended tyre sizes.

It is also worth noting that fitting a tyre outside of the range for the wheel will likely invalidate your insurance.

Link to the revised MOT guidance is here and I recommend reading the comments at the bottom from testers: Stretched?

interesting!

All boils down to if you have a friendly mot tester tbh. Insurance would not be a problem either, just make sure you demand the car goes back to your home or garage, and just whip the wheels off before an inspector for the insurance comes to see it, providing the car is worth enough for them to bother with.

Interesting. Mine have a slight stretch but I don't think the bead is fitted incorrectly. To be honest, if mine failed an MOT on this I would have to sell both sets of wheels and get something else as I'd not be able to manufacturer spec wheels/tyres over my brakes.

Lets hope it's not used as a stick to beat folks with only a slight stretch.

interesting!

All boils down to if you have a friendly mot tester tbh. Insurance would not be a problem either, just make sure you demand the car goes back to your home or garage, and just whip the wheels off before an inspector for the insurance comes to see it, providing the car is worth enough for them to bother with.

I can see a few flaws in this method :lol:

Interesting. Mine have a slight stretch but I don't think the bead is fitted incorrectly. To be honest, if mine failed an MOT on this I would have to sell both sets of wheels and get something else as I'd not be able to manufacturer spec wheels/tyres over my brakes.

It would be handy to have a guide that shows tyre width Vs max/ min wheel width.

I've never 'got' this styling feature, it just looks so obviously like it's a bad idea, but then I suppose it's actually less dangerous than lowering a car so much the suspension can't perform as designed.

IMO this kind of thing is only going to get worse. Aren't other European countries (France/Switzerland) already operating rules that ban a lot of modifications?

I run stretched tyres and do not consider them to be dangerous but it depends on the 'stretch', I've seen idiots try shoehorn something daft like a 165 onto a 9" wheel and that is just plain stupid. Another problem I have found is that size of tyre (in same labelled size) differs between manufacturers so there is no definitive answer on what size tyre on what rim.

Nah, they're just trying to (rightly) stop this:

impp-1202-08-o+1975-toyota-celica+stretched-tires.jpg

And this:

Toyota-Celica-Oni-Camber.jpg

This is fine imo and represents the majority of slight stretchers I reckon -

IMG_0432_copy.jpg

IMG_0432_copy.jpg

This is currently about where mine sit, thankfully, so I hope you're right.

The other 2 pictures, and the 2nd one in particular, are massively dangerous. What have you got on the Golf these days, Kev?

I suspect they'll be combining the wheel poking past the arch + stretch thing into a catch all "yeah that looks dangerous (and sh1t) mate, that's a fail"

Yeah my ZW1s had that amount of stretch and the car drove OK. I suppose it boils down to a lack of tyre knowledge and the internet causing fads. Load rating on the sidewall is the key point here. They basically support the vehicle weight, which all goes to c0ck when you run them at 45 degrees instead of vertical - as intended!

Anyway...... erm, just the standard BBS 18s bud, with standard 225s on em. Too old for mods now :D

Edited by Kevin Bacon

Nah, they're just trying to (rightly) stop this:

impp-1202-08-o+1975-toyota-celica+stretched-tires.jpg

And this:

Toyota-Celica-Oni-Camber.jpg

IMG_0432_copy.jpg

Pic 2 :lol:

Makes a lot of sense to me. Can be quite a good way to get a few extra mm to avoid having to mod your arches (I run 165/50/15s on 6.5" wheels for clearance on my Mk1) but all the cases where you have to use extra high-flow air blasters, carb cleaner etc to get the beads to seat then you're obviously doing it wrong. If mine didn't seat when inflated through the valve I'd get different tyres!

Mine:

atiwe-tyre.jpg

Stone

Pic 1 is pretty much how my 9.5j is with 195 45 tyres! Looks awesome!

..and is dangerous in my opinion as an aircraft mechanical engineer of almost 20 years.

If you hit a pothole in the road whilst cornering enthusiastically then that sort of load applied to the tyre could result in an immediate deflation, this problem is hugely amplified by stretched tyres already forcing the tyre into a shape it is not designed to be in and placing large loads on the weakest point of the tyre at the same time (sidewall).

Have you ever considered why stretched tyres deform the way they do and what that means for the strength of the tyre?

This has been the subject of debate for years and some people have been taken to court under existing legislation, the fact that DVLA have now issued guidance to MOT tester may mean what passed last year won't next time.

If you live in the Norfolk Constabulary area then they say stretched tyres are illegal under section 40A of the Road Traffic Act 1988 and could result in 3 points and £100 Norfolk Police Link

Ultimately by running excessive stretch you are opening yourself to this sort of incident and looking at the rear wheels this guy is not running huge amounts of stretch:

Whoops!

Edited by Yandards

Be rate pal, life's to short to be worrying about tyre popping.

Life's not too short when a tyre bursts and you have a serious accident. Also what does 'be rate pal' even mean?

My brother when he was younger had a tyre blow out, this was on standard tyres with no modifications at all, before this whole tyre-stretch craze happened, the blow out surprised him (it being his first car and not very experienced) causing him to lose control, hitting the embankment, thus causing a second tyre blow out and spinning the car. The car was a total wreck, suspension knackered engine mounts destroyed, with the sat in the middle of the road, thankfully there were no other cars around otherwise it would have been a different story.

If you want to run stretches tyres way over the limit, I'm grateful I don't live near you ;)

I really hope that statement does not become ironic for you and if it does no-one else is in the way.

Trouble is, its tossers like you who don't worry about it until you've had a blow out, killed a pedestrian and found yourself in prison for manslaughter. Ok, its not statistically likely to happen, but its still possible.

There was a guy on here who it had two blowouts in the space of a few weeks about 18 months ago, all because he was running stupid stretched tyres like you. He was lucky in that there was no one around when it happened.

You, or anyone else may not be so fortunate. I hope you get pulled over and forced to change them cos your attitude toward it is atrocious.

Excuse me ya jumped up little ****!

People like you should worry about your own **** life instead of other people's!

If I or thousands of other people want to run stretch then that is a personal choice.

In all the years ive ran stretch on 3 different cars, i have never ever had one single problem at all.

Call me a lucky lad if you want!

What a bell end!

Edited by hibberjo

If I or thousands of other people want to run stretch then that is a personal choice.

Well if you read the first post excessive stretch has now been legislated against and its an MOT fail, if the tester cant prove its excessive then its "Pass and Advise", so it will be recorded on the MOT cert as such for your insurance co to read in the event of a claim