Yandards

[STRECHED TYRE FOLKS] Read Me Please

One problem I can see is if people know that the strech will fail the mot what's to stop them changing wheels for the mot then changing back after. Is there an actual guide as to what is/isn't legal or is it up to the testers own discresion?

One problem I can see is if people know that the strech will fail the mot what's to stop them changing wheels for the mot then changing back after. Is there an actual guide as to what is/isn't legal or is it up to the testers own discresion?

Your car has to comply with the MOT regs for 365 days of the year, not just on the day its presented.

I agree with you but you hear people say I change this or that to get it through mot then change it back and there is no way of stoping people doing this unfortunately.

Excuse me ya jumped up little ****!

People like you should worry about your own **** life instead of other people's!

If I or thousands of other people want to run stretch then that is a personal choice.

In all the years ive ran stretch on 3 different cars, i have never ever had one single problem at all.

Call me a lucky lad if you want!

What a bell end!

e31.jpg

I agree with you but you hear people say I change this or that to get it through mot then change it back and there is no way of stoping people doing this unfortunately.

But that's no different to decatting and then refitting it just for the mot. As you say, there won't be a way to police this.

But the car will still be illegal and if stopped by the police or the dvlas registered body they're in the ****

e31.jpg

But that's no different to decatting and then refitting it just for the mot. As you say, there won't be a way to police this.

You can be emissions tested at the side of the road or be breath tested or have the tread depth checked on your tyres etc etc

You'd be unlucky with the above, but poking wheels and stretched tyres are an easy spot for anyone to see

My reverse strech.

DSC01514.jpg

Looking very nice there.

And there's minimal chance of kerbing the rims!

Nice wheels Jim.

If I didn't have the AP's I'd be back on Speedlines by now..... oh well, you makes your choices etc etc

You can be emissions tested at the side of the road or be breath tested or have the tread depth checked on your tyres etc etc

You'd be unlucky with the above, but poking wheels and stretched tyres are an easy spot for anyone to see

True, however I doubt we'd see much of this happening, even if we're all aware of it. As it is since the removal of the paper tax disc the number of vehicles not taxed has almost doubled, there's less police out patrolling (I believe there were talks about abolishing the beat also) and everything is being controlled by ANPR cameras which, if those numbers are anything to go by aren't even doing a good job of controlling tax evasion.

I think its just going to be one of those things, and will hopefully phase out when the next stupid modification hits the scene. I'd gladly be proven wrong, I think Sean hit the nail on the head though, its the attitude that goes with it, and unfortunately they probably already know its dangerous and/or now illegal but simply don't care.

so, what this has made me think about (apart from peoples temper on the interweb) is the width measurement of tyres, does the '195' in 195-50-15 refer to the tread width?

My old sebrings were 6.5J rims which is 165mm, clearly no relation to the tyre width???

I then fitted the same 195 tyres to 7J rims and was advised that they would 'control the sidewall better in cornering', which made sense, but is that BS?

It certainly is! Google image "crazy camber cars japan" and see for yourself :D

Am sure there is a video of it or something similar 'driving' sounds as daft as it looks

Didn't take long to find

Also, nice to see Data from the Goonies out and about. "Pinchers of power guyss, pinchers of power"

True, however I doubt we'd see much of this happening, even if we're all aware of it. As it is since the removal of the paper tax disc the number of vehicles not taxed has almost doubled, there's less police out patrolling (I believe there were talks about abolishing the beat also) and everything is being controlled by ANPR cameras which, if those numbers are anything to go by aren't even doing a good job of controlling tax evasion.

I think its just going to be one of those things, and will hopefully phase out when the next stupid modification hits the scene. I'd gladly be proven wrong, I think Sean hit the nail on the head though, its the attitude that goes with it, and unfortunately they probably already know its dangerous and/or now illegal but simply don't care.

Patrolling around car show venues at weekends will be like shooting fish in a barrel, its not a fad, its been popular for 15 years or so in the uk

Patrolling around car show venues at weekends will be like shooting fish in a barrel, its not a fad, its been popular for 15 years or so in the uk

Yeah suppose, we need to create a new one, they all look the same nowadays ;)

so, what this has made me think about (apart from peoples temper on the interweb) is the width measurement of tyres, does the '195' in 195-50-15 refer to the tread width?

My old sebrings were 6.5J rims which is 165mm, clearly no relation to the tyre width???

I then fitted the same 195 tyres to 7J rims and was advised that they would 'control the sidewall better in cornering', which made sense, but is that BS?

The 195 is the actual tyre width, bearing in mind that most rims fitted to tyres sit within the 'well' so to speak. 15mm either side sounds about right I think. I have some general grabber off road tyres which are going to be fitted to my Baja Bug, they're 10 inch wide I think but the inner lip/bead measured at around 7 1/2-8 or so, this is then perfect for a 8 1/2 - 9 inch wheel (taking into account the thickness of the wheel lip). Being off road tyres they're more suited with a bigger sidewall, close to 1 inch reverse stretch haha!

The 50 then refers to the side wall height, as in 50% the width as the height, and 15 is the rim diameter that it takes.

It's a bit mental using both metric and imperial and random percentages to give you tyre sizes :lol:!

The controlling the side wall, with the wider rim it pushes the sidewall out slightly, bringing the angle closer to 90% which would take less stress on the sidewall when in a straight line, obviously when cornering the lateral movement will push the sidewall, thus moving even closer to 90% (depending how far it was to begin with) if that makes sense?

Edited by eugopnosaj

It's all a bit grey to me too. Chaps in motorsport recommend matching the wheel width to tyre width, so 8J should have a 205 fitted. Sounds logical and sensible, but put a 205 onto a typical 8J rim and it's slightly stretched. And what is 205 on the VR6's 6.5J all about??!

My Edition 30 runs 7.5Jx18, but with 225 tyres. Odd.

Edited by Kevin Bacon

This debate would be nullified if people just used logic and common sense. It's neither comparable to not running a catalyst when your supposed too. That's not a safety issue. Tyres however most certainly are and pretty much the primary element of safety on any ones car.

If your penis isn't long enough you could clamp it in a vice and stretch it out as much you can, but it certainly won't function correctly afterwards.

Good analogy I like it, especially as this fella is quite obviously a bit of one. I won't comment again though, don't want him to burst a blood vessel. :rolleyes:

This debate would be nullified if people just used logic and common sense. It's neither comparable to not running a catalyst when your supposed too. That's not a safety issue. Tyres however most certainly are and pretty much the primary element of safety on any ones car.

If your penis isn't long enough you could clamp it in a vice and stretch it out as much you can, but it certainly won't function correctly afterwards.

I appreciate that, and wasn't compared it, my comment was based against removing items and refitting other parts just for it to pass an mot. There's a chap in Sweden who has got an old Series 1 XJ6 Jaguar with a XJR6 supercharged engine fitted, every 2 years when it has its MOT he takes the supercharged engine out and puts the old one back in just for the MOT in order to pass regulations!

It's all a bit grey to me too. Chaps in motorsport recommend matching the wheel width to tyre width, so 8J should have a 205 fitted. Sounds logical and sensible, but put a 205 onto a typical 8J rim and it's slightly stretched. And what is 205 on the VR6's 6.5J all about??!

My Edition 30 runs 7.5Jx18, but with 225 tyres. Odd.

Which is why I put the 195's on my Speedlines.. I know it all comes down to personal preference and that of course it was done for a reason by VW.. but when I put my car side by side with t a VR shod in 205's, the 195's look far nicer now and the 205's look positively balloon like!

This is about the most emotive thread on here for a while!

Kev, I think the motorsport recommendations of matching the tyre width to the wheel will give you the optimum consistency of the tyre under track use despite the reduced contact patch - this will no doubt result in a much firmer ride which is not desirable in a road car.

Dave W, as sort of mentioned but just to clarify the first number of the tyre is width in mm's the next number is the aspect ratio of the sidewall to the width given as a percentage and the final number is the rim diameter to fit it to.

As for why manufacturers specify tyres wider than the rim, a little bit of research suggests that by having a more flexible tyre, which is the result of a larger width than the wheel, you get more deformation under cornering - this gives an increase in stability as the contact patch is maintained through the deformation which should also produce even tyre wear.

Which is why I put the 195's on my Speedlines.. I know it all comes down to personal preference and that of course it was done for a reason by VW.. but when I put my car side by side with t a VR shod in 205's, the 195's look far nicer now and the 205's look positively balloon like!

I like the balloon look :D 195/50s are a lot cheaper than 205/50s though! I guess VW did it on the VR to get a bigger contact patch? Heavier car, more power and all that. Just a shame 205/50 is such a weird size and a pain to get in decent brands / compounds.