Sign in to follow this  
veeDuB_Rado

Rusty Corrado!?

Ive noticed with my C that there is hardly any rust atall, and the previous owner agreed too...

Now read the post made by RORY 182 here.

Surely thats an overstatement?!

Corrado's dont generally rust. Seems a bit of an irony for someone on a Renault forum to say that!! ;)

love it.. covered in rust :? i'ed like to see what his clio looks like in 12-15 years time....

corrados were galvanised anyway were'nt they, hence the fact you hardly ever see post's " my corrado needs welding"

mk2 golf with a jetta dash? didnt mk2 golfs and jettas have THE SAME dash? most worrying is the original poster wants a corrado to save putting miles on his clio! FFS!

loving the first post "thinking of buying one as a daily run around to save miles on the clio"

Sure I bought mine to save putting miles on my Polo :oops:

ive only found two little rust spots on mine, one is coming from under the seal on the drivers side rear window and the others were very small and under the black trim which i removed. Same cant be said for my renault 19 which is 3years younger :(

Rust? On a 1990s VW? Yes, of course. Particularly on the Corrado - the body rust-proofing was done by human beings, not robots, so it goes without saying that many cars have little "unique" features in that respect.

Then of course there's the results of a lack of care taken by an owner. The slightest paint scratch/stone chip can easily result in rust (only Volvos and Audis are galvanised I'm afraid..). And the wheel arches are prone too, mostly due to stone chips thrown up from the wheels.

But on the whole, they're pretty good.

Rust proofing in the 1980s is one of the few things that VW really genuinely deserve their reputation of reliability for. Every other mainstream manufacturer at the time was still having major chassis rust problems at 7-10 years old (and sometimes sooner)...

I've got no signs of rust on my G60, i think those comments are totally unfounded!

However it is interesting reading other people's views on the corrado!

US-spec Rados suffer a bit from the old rust worm where the 3rd brakelight sits, and let's not forget the rear licence plate light holder.

Then there's the occasional tailgate window, especially in either or both of the 2 bottom corners, where rain water likes to collect, when the Rado's stationary.

Tempest

load of bollllocks,,,, french cars are sh1t specially renaults,,,, drove the clio sport recently was well unimpressed on several things.... cant believe there slating the corrado where they are driving biscuit tins themselves,,,,,

certain parts of the corrado are galvanised, i have seen a diagram of the parts that where plated i think it was the bonnet and the lower half of the doors, the diagram also said the different parts where galvanised in different ways.

i will have to try and dig it out.

the only tiny bits of rust i have found on mine have been due to muppet windscreen fitters scratching the paint, there is certainly no hint of any structural rust whatsoever.

my old mr2 had holes in the chassis i could put my hand through and my mates L reg alfa 155 actually seperated from the chassis all the way around the boot due to corrosion and his fathers brand new mercedes a-class had to be sent back due to rust bubbling up around the fuel filler neck.

i dont think i have ever seen a car as old as the corrado with as little corrosion.

92 g60 totally rust free for now, my old 90 had one little spot on the bottom of the tail gate

and my 90 gti thats been sitting for a year is practicly rust free too.

cant be bad.

The bit under the spoiler and above the numberplate (as Tempest said) is the only nit of rust on my VR, you only see it when you open the boot though thankfuly. :)

(only Volvos and Audis are galvanised I'm afraid..).

Not quite true, my Fiat Marea :oops: was fully galvanised, so now it sits without a spot of rust, but no engine :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: