Sign in to follow this  
STORM 2

forum opinion - 16 or 17s?

I cant' decide which looks better on the Corrado - 16 or 17 inch alloys, Im trying to gauge the look on a lowered car but don't want too much of a 'wideboy' look

What do you think suits the car better?

i'm wearin 17s with a 4x4 ride height :lol: ,but when i get me coilovers droppin down to 16s

so dya reckon a lowered car is better on 16s rather than 17s?

15s!

Nah just kidding. I've done quite few searches on this before. General consensus is 15s for handling, 17s for looks, 16s for a good compromise. I'm looking to buy 16's. I also think if the car isn't low enough 17's can look a bit poo, 16's you can get away with.

My car is lowered on 17's with only slight rubbing, tried 16's once, just didn't seem to look right.

Maybe i just didn't have the right wheel on there.

16's do look better wiide though,,, where as a narrow 17" can still be fitted to fill the arch

depends on the wheel design mate.

some look better in 16, some in 17.

and the ride/handling issue is 100% down to your personal taste and requirements.

try before you buy bud - its the only way!

depends on the wheel design mate.

some look better in 16, some in 17.

BBS RCs

I've got 16's but i'll be going back to 15's when it gets lowered, eventually.

I also found it was harder to get the tyres i wanted because a few companies only semmed to do 15 and 17 inches.

I can't wait to get fid of my 17's. IMO they take away from what the Corrado is really all about ( i.e handling )

I can't wait to get fid of my 17's. IMO they take away from what the Corrado is really all about ( i.e handling )

You weren't complaining about my handling on Sunday! :lol:

17s for me, if i lowered it how i want it to look on 16, the chin spoiler'd be scraping the floor

Wouldn't make any difference would it? Tyres are thicker thicker to compensate...

17s - BBS RCs or lighter. The RC vacuum cast 17" rim was the lightest (18lbs) in the world until the japs started doing 9lb 17" rims!

Otherwise 16s or OE wheels (~ 15lbs)

Each size has it's pros and cons but with 15s you're always going to be restricted to standard size brakes....which let's face it are utter sheeeite.

I found the 17s were best for motorway cruising, but the Rado's short wheel base and antiquated chassis technology is always going to give a fidgety ride over bumps, regardless of wheel size.

The 17s were also best for feel consistency..... with 15s and 16s, get them good and hot and the sidewalls start to feel mushy on testing corners.....but 17s in the winter when the armco is harder than granite....hmmmmm....crashiness central.

It's a tough one, eh?

If I could find some 17s that weigh the same as the stock rims, I'd fit them no question, along with soft uniroyal rainsports or F1s at 32 psi, which gives a decent ride....and I could then get some 330mm discs in there and some Endless carbon metallic pads for the APs :-) http://www.endlessusa.com

17s for me, if i lowered it how i want it to look on 16, the chin spoiler'd be scraping the floor

Wouldn't make any difference would it? Tyres are thicker thicker to compensate...

Sorry, wasn't clear - i think 16s look great slammed on a C but 17s can be just filling the arches.

17s - BBS RCs or lighter. The RC vacuum cast 17" rim was the lightest (18lbs) in the world until the japs started doing 9lb 17" rims!

Otherwise 16s or OE wheels (~ 15lbs)

Each size has it's pros and cons but with 15s you're always going to be restricted to standard size brakes....which let's face it are utter sheeeite.

I found the 17s were best for motorway cruising, but the Rado's short wheel base and antiquated chassis technology is always going to give a fidgety ride over bumps, regardless of wheel size.

The 17s were also best for feel consistency..... with 15s and 16s, get them good and hot and the sidewalls start to feel mushy on testing corners.....but 17s in the winter when the armco is harder than granite....hmmmmm....crashiness central.

It's a tough one, eh?

If I could find some 17s that weigh the same as the stock rims, I'd fit them no question, along with soft uniroyal rainsports or F1s at 32 psi, which gives a decent ride....and I could then get some 330mm discs in there and some Endless carbon metallic pads for the APs :-) http://www.endlessusa.com

So Kev is that a subliminal hint for me to quote you on some 17" bbs RC's :lol:

8x16's :-P

or 9x16's for the ultimate dishy phat look.(kinda compromises the handling tyre wise though)

Neil.

So Kev is that a subliminal hint for me to quote you on some 17" bbs RC's :lol:

Well.... I am always open to offers (of parts!)....and I do like RCs a lot :lol: