Sign in to follow this  
Goldie

Could be time for a change....

Thats a very good point Jim and you are correct, i know im a lot newer to the fold than yourself but i do enjoy being part of this community and have met a lot of really nice people as a result of the car, i certainly wouldnt want to give that up..

This is definately the nicest forum I've ever been on. And I'm not just saying that. I think the atmosphere around here is a lot more mature than onthers I've been on. Maybe because most of us are at an age were insuring a group 16+ car is not an impossibility. Also it's a lot less cliquey. You just get the same few people talking to each other on other forums and everyone else just gets ignored or abused. Here everyone talks to everyone.

Also it's a lot less cliquey.

The amusing thing is we regularly get slagged off for being cliquey.. i'm glad to see that we don't come across like that to all members!

Firstly this isnt a feeler for a value of the car or an advert for any parts so please dont ask or lock it mods...

So ive been rumbled by Dukest.. :)

Ok, os ive said the imortal words that im keeping the car forever and now im having serious thoughts of selling up. Im wondering how may others out there have had these thoughts, what it was that made you think about moving on and for those who sold uop how long is it before you wanted another??

For me im being enticed into the Golf world, im a huge fan ok Mk1s and Mk2 G60s and reckon that with the proceeds from my car (sold standard and all bits old afterwards) i could probably afford to get one of each...

So what do you reckon, am i being silly?? Opinions on selling and the car choices welcome...

Well Michael, interesting that your a big Mk1 & 2 Golf fan, so was I (and still am to an extent) until I drove a Corrado, and it was the only car that I would have sold my mint Golf 16v for and haven't regretted it since. On the other hand there's no way I'd now part with the Corrado to buy a Golf. Your choice though :o

Dont sell Micheal, echoeing everyone else you will just regret it.

My C has recently been tucked away in the garage and been replaced by the beast that is Doofy (my polo!). I have only been driving the polo a few days. I drove my C every day to work and was always getting fed up with it because of new noises/things needing doing but every time i open the garage door now i weep a little as i see the corrado sitting there looking absolutely fcuking awesome and i cant use it (insurance has run out :( ). Driving an older basic car (ok a golf is going to be better than the polo which is basically a lunch box on wheels!) has made me realise just how good a car the corrado is to drive, even driving newer cars (mates A3 1.8T, various Golf Mk4's and even the old mans Audi A4) all felt the same, boring! Yes they didnt squeak as much, they didnt make as many noises when turing at low speeds (fcuking top mount bearings :roll:) but once out of the slow traffic and crap roads and on to some nice fast roads and the corrado really comes into its own, even my dads audi with 4 wheel drive imo doesnt feel as fun to drive fast as my corrado does!!

I 100% see where you are coming from with the MK1 golf, not so much the Mk2 though, i do like the mk2's but not close to the mk1's which are just the essence of cool imo. And i will still get one when i can afford one and as said they really hold their value for a good one, even good ones still need work doing in some cases! I will most likely buy a cheap one and then do it up from shell to all new components underneath, lots of money though! But i would still want my corrado to drive because have you driven a mk1? They aren't that nice to drive really as they are still an old car but its just the cool looks that i love so much.

I reckon you should keep the C and instead of supercharge it and spend more money on it put the money aside and get a mk1 (or mk2 if you must :lol:) and slowly start to do it up yourself which will be a good achievement and you will learn a lot in the process. That way you can have a uber cool mk1 (or mk2 :roll:) project car and a super sexy corrado storm that still goes like stink and has the comfort etc.

Michael, What's going on!

Try a trial separation for a month, then get back in the Storm, you will then see what you'd be missing. I still sometimes regret selling my other VR and hated the point where money exchanged hands someone else drove off in it.

Check this out Michael

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VW-MK1-Golf-GTI-N ... dZViewItem

Thats exactly the sort of thing ive been looking at along with a good MK2, i appreciate that the Mk1 is cheap but itll need money that the Corrado would free up..

Rob, i know you share the MK1 passion and really this isnt a cry for a modern machine, i had a Leon before i bought my first Corrado and while i would have another its my idea of what id buy later, maybe as a compriomise between a car with some character and a family car (Leon owners please dont take that the wrong way, i think the Leon is the grwon up Corrado is what im trying to say).. Id like to do the ground up MK1 like yourself but need that intial expenditure to get the ball rolling, ok you can get a base model for a few hundred quid but a couple of grand needs to be spendt to get things going and that would be far from finished.. I guess in a way i need to ask myself if the Mk1 will be the car ive sepnt years doing in the future or whether it would be the Corrado.. I cant believe you dont like Mk2s Rob, Edition 1s are lovely!!!

Martin, a trial seperation sounds like a plan, another problem i have is that the Corrado is my only motor so ive began to take it for granted, i need a runner really to fully appreciate the car i guess. Your old VR was a stunner, id love to have seen it, the one you have now though is a cracker..

Im going to have a good think about this over the next month or so, ill have a good look around E38 and ask myself what is the best plan. In the mean time i think ill pull together some money for a runner (maybe a Mark 2 :) to get it out my system) and see if i can track Mike down for a good look around his Edition1....

I think thats ya best bet mate get a cheap mk2 that runs fine and wont cost the world to run (will be easy to find i would imagine!) and use that as a daily hack and then when you get back in to the corrado just to drive it not to use it to get you somewhere like you have been doing (and myself taking it for granted exactly as you have!) you will realise you cant be without it! When you just want to drive the corrado its becomes the car it was meant to be and thats a sports coupe especially with your yummy KW suspension and engine mods, yours must be lovely to drive!

And you could also do what dukest has said, save and spend, save and spend etc on the mk2, gradually restoring it. No need to go crazy and stripping it to the bare shell, just replace parts as you go along making it better and better, then when you have saved enough take it off the road, strip it, clean the shell up, get it resprayed and then stick all the other nice new bits on that you have accomodated over time and its ready to go! I think you can have the best of both world then.

18 months ago I bought a stunning looking S3 to replace my Corrado with. The Corrado was parked up for about 6 months looking all sad for itself until I got the urge to do a few jobs on it, probably around the time I found the forum I guess. Since then I've spent a small fortune on it and got myself the bug again pretty much like I did in 1995 when I bought my first Corrado 16V. And now the S3's gone as did the Golf GTI before it, the Corrado however is here to stay.

I think you forget quite how special they are until you spot one driving towards you (not that it happens all that often :lol: ) then you come over all warm and think "I've got one of those!", you forgive it everything again and start planning your next mod.

slap yourself with a kipper will you!

(i think you should keep it by the way!)

I disagree. I tried that once and the damn fish started to smell after a while...

...in more serious news, don't do it Goldie!

I think you forget quite how special they are until you spot one driving towards you (not that it happens all that often :lol: ) then you come over all warm and think "I've got one of those!", you forgive it everything again and start planning your next mod.

I think that is the perfect way to describe owning a corrado imo, well said!! :lol:

i've been havin thoughts of changin the car since goin to vw fest on sunday,ideally i want a TT,but for some reason after seein some of the proper tidy lookin lupos i fancy havin one of those :D

I think its easy to start taking a car for granted when you are just using it to shunt you to and from work and sainsbury etc etc.

I just bought a daily driver.

Looks like pooh but Its made me appreciate the C more.

I just like knowing its there for when i want to use it and if something goes wrong with it then it is not the end of the world so i wont start to despise it because i can't get around.

I think i saw your car at the BVF.

Its near enough the complete article so I guess maybe your bored as already stated!?!!

Good luck with what ever you decide.

think you forget quite how special they are until you spot one driving towards you (not that it happens all that often ) then you come over all warm and think "I've got one of those!", you forgive it everything again and start planning your next mod.

That is very nicely said and is very true, TBH i have seen one since ive been up North (2.5 weeks)..

Ive always had Golfs before my Corrado and going back to one would be a step back in my opinion.

I can understand that but ive not had a one so first plan is buy a half decent MK2 for about a grand and have it as a runner....

but for some reason after seein some of the proper tidy lookin lupos i fancy havin one of those

Lupos are cool as, theres a guy round the corner has a silver GTI and i admire it every time i go past more than a brand new R32 a few doors down..

I think i saw your car at the BVF.

Its near enough the complete article so I guess maybe your bored as already stated!?!!

That was me, theres so much more id like to do now really but im in to silly money territory for some of the things id like..

Im going on to my third Corrado mate,so its more likely you will end up getting another on

If i got another then that would be three. Everytime i go to Pulmans in Durham the ald behind the desk talks about your old Rado, i think you left quite an impression...

Ah yes it was Andi,and just after i turbo'd the last Vr i took him out for a drive as he was good to me when it came to discounts 8)

He scremed like a girl every gear change :lol: thats why i miss my old raddo and am going to do another one :D

how long have you been around Durham?

Don't Do It Man! Benn having a think about what you said at VW Festival.........Bollox to it being what it is, just do it, Sort of outside the Box style!