Butterfly

Butterflys Blackberry... car of the 90's

To be quite honest the finish that came on most corrado from Karmann is truly shite compared to other marks of a similar price around at the time, i guess this is down to the methods they used in the factory including amongst other things preparation.

At the end of the day wheather my cars had a decent finish to them is more important and I wouldn't really be too bothered about the original style finish, obviously i'd like it to look like it had just left the factory but i'd also rather it look like a decentish paint job as opposed to being original covered in chips and marks all over it etc.

Quite a few sections on my VR are utterly crap and haven't been painted since it left the factory! not tellin ya which bits though :lol:

The thing that has bugged Jude more than anything this last 2 years has been the finish of the paint, and while i know she'd rather not have a perfect mirror finish as many detailers go for which looks amazing by the way, I know that she would rather it be the latter imacculate mirror finish as opposed to the condition it was in before it went into the paint shop.

Maybe one day i'll get the VR done again and seek out the super flat mirror finish too! Maybe a while yet though drew but we have a spare room for you to stay over a few days when that happens :lol:

I didnt realise the orange peel finish was from the factory. I've always thought my rado has had a bad paint job. Thats good to know really.

when i got mine back me n nath walked round and round it checking for orange peel ! :lol: i wanted mine flat n smooth.

OK, for a laugh... and anyone who doesn't know what they are letting themselves in for with painting...

It will gleam again, but I might need a few hoover bags to get there.

Paintshop say it will be returned clean. I'll post a pic of what they class as clean when I take her back. :lol: (I hope I am very pleasently surprised)

it takes along time to get rid of that white powder ,it took me about four cleans , and an airline bleedin stuff gets in every nook n cranny :(

it takes along time to get rid of that white powder ,it took me about four cleans , and an airline :)

I've got all winter and hopefully a double garage to myself for a while to clean it in as I expect the Nugget to be gone a while.

And, as Kip says, I would love my car to be a perfect factory finish but after 15 years it aint and it had a pretty cr@p paint job on a wing and door. That and the bonnet & other wing needed sorting so I have to do what I have to do. The paint on the car was embarrasing even though many people who saw the car thought it was mint!! I've pointed out the many problems to anyone who wanted to know in the last 2 years and they all seem to realise what I meant.

I've told 'em, and told 'em and told 'em..... that I need to keep my orange peel finish.

But I don't think my bonnet (either of them) ever had much orange peel (though admittedly I didn't know to look for it a few years back).

Paintshop owner says it's still there, he can see it. But I can't see through all the paintshop dust and crud. In a few days I'll be looking for it. :help: LOL :lol:

But even through the dust & crud she sure does look pretty. :luvlove:

:D :wink:

What I showed you Judith was flatted down first on mine. Its the buffing afterwards they need not do other than very lightly ...... if the sprayer knows his skill. The bit besides the general finish to orange peel ripple, is to check out the over spray of the lacquer on panel edges and masking lips. Smaller than those you remarked about on door earlier when it was being stripped. So use the photos to know where to look, even use some as a check list to mark off as you go round.

If necessary, run your finger lightly over all panel edges and make sure they are not raised/raggy. Look at small flat surfaces which were not "face on" to the spray gun such as the 1cm lip on the tailgate frame aperture where the spray gun may have been pointed at the rear panel behind the rear windows, and lacquer has dropped onto the 1cm lip unevenly.

After all, a Corrado in the show room in the '90's or even today's VW's, if it has a shiney patch, I'm always suspicious of pre-delivery damage/repair. Amazing what you see in today's VW's showrooms if you look for it in detail. New Scirocco was total orange peel, not as much but none the less there. They spray and don't generally buff them at the factory.

Corrado Bonnet front was/is shiney, progressively going to orange peel by 10cm up towards the windscreen from the front edge. Same for the wings, shiney around the headlight aperture for the first 5 to 10cm. To do with the lacquer spray "bridge" at Karmann and angle of spraying from above and curve on the front of the bonnet/front edge of the wings.

@dave B. Gone here cos its going off topic

its a bit like havin a real christmas tree in the house , a year later and your still finding bits :lol: nice to a have fresh paint though you cant beat it :luvlove:

its a bit like havin a real christmas tree in the house , a year later and your still finding bits :lol: nice to a have fresh paint though you cant beat it :luvlove:

:lol: nice post!

Stunning car

Dedicated passionate owner

Continued commitment to improve and preserve the car

Top marks from me :salute:

A point here and there in the concours and a cheap rosette, a fringe benefit of little importance in the overall ownership experience of what is without doubt one of the finest unmolested Corrados around :notworthy:

OK, for a laugh... and anyone who doesn't know what they are letting themselves in for with painting...

It will gleam again, but I might need a few hoover bags to get there.

Paintshop say it will be returned clean. I'll post a pic of what they class as clean when I take her back. :lol: (I hope I am very pleasently surprised)

My paintshop was even worse, i would have been happy with that!. In my stupidity i left the footmats in he car. And not rubber ones either :(

btw Judith, your needles look a nice shade of red 8) , have you coloured them? Mine are horrible orange.

looking great , almost there, if you paying good money ,make sure you go over everything, and if your not happy tell them. they are providing a service, and when it comes to paint its gotta be right, i had a full paint job, on my 8 v looked great for 6 months and then after that i noticed paint problems, shrinkage in the rear quater where i had a repair job done,(dent).its been redone again and is all good.

Not much in the way of photo updates recently but I'm told she will be all done by midday tomorrow and will be coming home on a delivery lorry.

Kip had better not have too much of a lie in on his day off as he has plenty of bits of Nugget to remove from my side of the garage. Plus we have a curtesy car to move from infront of the garage door.

Fingers crossed we dont get the bit of snow forecast and it's not so cold tomorrow that the frost never leaves the hill we live on.

The car was ready for collection midday Wednesday and I was due to set off to Bristol at 2pm. It was a very busy, stressful few hours!!

Paul moved a ton of snow from in front of the hire car so that could be moved to get the garage door open.

I've only just had chance to upload the pics as I've been partying the last few days. Can't wait to get home and see her again (and see Paul of course :D )

Was begining to wonder with no comms. Glad its back. Quite clean of the paintshop dust in the front part of the engine bay considering the photos earlier.

I know, sorry all. The timing really wasn't good but a bit of fun to keep you waiting and wondering... if you were that interested.

Engine bay looks fine for an everyday car but it is no where near proper clean.

And the car will be going back in early spring as it was buffed etc in fully artificial light. When the roller doors were opened and the car driven out the paintshop guys were horrified to see wheel arches and wing mirrors needed lots more work! Still, they had already said bring it back in Spring as there are always bits and pieces noticed once serious show prep begins.

I wonder if they would bring their buffing equipment out to our place and work on it a bit in the next month or two as I don't fancy doing a serious clean only to have her go back into a bodyshop just before Elsecar!

Looks great from here Jude, hope you are happy with the finish, really need to get mine sorted now!!

Looks fantastic, will you ever park this car at your Local Tesco? I see you taking 4 spaces :lol:

Big credit to you for your dedication and high standards. You must want to lick it :tongue: :luvlove: