KIPVW

Kip's Members Thread

[ :shock: :shock: :shock:

Paul, you're not supposed to tell people on public forums things like that. :tongue:

Hope all is well with you mate.

Am Very good thanks mate and hope to have a chat somewhere in the summer :grin:

Re the bikes (as I have ownership of the keyboard for a while now!! :lol: )

A Colnago (Mapei limited edition paint scheme) when it is guaranteed not to rain or a Concord for those other summer days. General hack to work and back regardless of the weather a Fort.

And if i've got all that wrong I'm sure Kip will put it right in the morning :)

I thought he would have ridden a corrado bike! (yes they do exist) lol

:lol:

Vaughan,

With this one the seal around the screen kept popping out as it'd had a screen recently, however because the previous owner was selling on soon they didn't do anything to treat the rust underneath where the screen sits.

So i asked if my body shop guy could get in between the screen and the A pillars to grind out what was visable which they did they then treated the ground back metal then re-painted it and refitted the seal.

It looked all well and good before he stuck the seal back in and said it'll keep it at bay for a couple of years or untill i need a new screen, if that becomes the case then ill have the the screen lifted out then let them attack what could be underneath before replacing the screen.

Ill forward you some good pics of what was done to judith's storm in the summer! it'll make you do the same as she had to do and its exactly what K1PVW is going to have done soon too as there is a little bit around the seal that needs sorting.

PM me your email addy for the pics ;)

Your neighbours must think you two are potty..

Like the 8v, really liked having a go in Judiths, definitely an underated car just like the Mk3 GTI with the same power plant..

Lol! you are not wrong there mate :cuckoo: but they laugh and enjoy takin the mic out of us and they are all really nice people, really get along with them :)

I cant tell you how good it is to drive and as you've sampled Judes you probably know what i mean.

So how's yours coming on then? Be good to meet up sometime if you fancy stopping by!

[i thought he would have ridden a corrado bike! (yes they do exist) lol

Hi Mate, yeah it did cross my mind when they came in the shop about 10 years ago trying to get us to stock them but never actually got round to it. Doh!

Did you get the agreed value sorted?

[i thought he would have ridden a corrado bike! (yes they do exist) lol

Hi Mate, yeah it did cross my mind when they came in the shop about 10 years ago trying to get us to stock them but never actually got round to it. Doh!

Did you get the agreed value sorted?

Sent it to them in the post along with some more photos so fingers crossed. Thanks again for your help. :clap:

Well i haven't updated for a while so thought i'd give you an insight into whats going on.

The 8v is all hunky dory for the moment although must give it a good service and cam & tensioner change soon.

But the VR is a much different story, i knew there was a few small bits of rust showing under the windscreen seal so had the screen taken out and then flat bedded to my body shop for sorting, also i decided to remove the doors at the same time as the sills could do with a blow over too! And may as well get the bumper done while i'm at it :lol:

So i spent this morning at the body shop taking off the bits for them to make life easier to get on with the job in question.

Just hope its all done in time for stanford hall! :shrug:

Pics to laugh at :lol:P4080521.JPG[/attachment:2k2n0e5r]

Was on top of a very plush mat though mate and i did inspect it first Lol! he really did a good job removing the glass although it was a real nightmare for them!

He's done both of Jude's cars now and is really enthusiastic for the C's so i'm sure its in good hands when it goes back to him, i'll be watchin his every move too :lol:

Yeah he did my 8v when it got a crack forking up the screen. The fitters though I was nuts to want to sit around and keep an eye on proceedings but once I got talking to them I mentioned that I had a Storm and the guy doing the fitting said he wished he was working on that instead! Then when the Storm went in I told him he could be getting a minty mint one in pretty soon as he's taken so much care over the work.

The guy has a show car himself, though it is of the BMW variety, so knows about people being obsessed with their car.

Not looking forward to this job, my valver needs a screen badly and as with you guys I'm very concerned about getting a good job cos the VR is next.

I'm know they did a good job because you wouldn't have gone back if they hadn't :D Still makes me shudder when I think of those tools sliding down the side of your motor :pale:

Full commitment from you though Kip, especially so close to Stanford...

I Like the pressure mate :lol: Just hope its done in time and done right as theres no time for F ups with the paint boys and i'll be round there every day too as its only 25 yards from my work place so i can keep an eye on the whole process.

Its taking the screen area back to bare metal i'm thinking of most but i'm sure once its done it'll last at least 3 or 4 years and then if a new screen is required then i'll give it a good look over in case it needs to be re-done.

Its not such a trauma once you've had bits painted before but always a concern the first time you have anything done.

I would urge anyone though who's having a new screen to demand to see the bodywork before the stick a new one in as they may just cover it up again :nono: to fester for a few more years which is not good at all. :cuckoo:

Hi Kip - Great to have a bodyshop so close you can trust. Be interested to see pictures of the before and after around the screen - I have a small patch of trouble which is mostly hidden by the rubber but I'm not sure how long the patching and anti rust treatment I've given it will stem it. I know you sent me the horror slide show from Judith's old VR!

I think you could have left it a lot later to raise the tension even higher :wink: Didn't you do something similiar last year as well - rear, side window IIRC ?

It was judes current car mate not her old one, and mine is pretty similar so get it done ASAP!

Yeah last year was a rear quarter painted with 10 days to go but luckily didn't have to remove the window on that job as they blended it in nicely.

I need a new screen in mine. :( Really don't know who to try around here... Might pop up to say hello for a few days! Get the clutch sorted Kip?

Well a little update on the 8v for a change!

Been busy today fitting the wheels i bought off Garret (thanks matey) had them fitted with some new toyo's today so thought it'd be rude not to whack them on.

I thought the ones on the car before looked ok but i like the look of the sebrings better and i was well chuffed with the price they were too so i ended up driving to london to pick em up a few weeks ago.

I also fitted the fogs and front indicators that came out of the VR after i got new ones for that so thought i'd pass them on to give it a treat :lol:

Also fitted new roof strips to the VR when i had the windscreen area painted so again fitted the ones off there onto it as the ones on the 8v were almost white as they have never been treated with anything.

Am really pleased with how it looks now and i think i'll get a vibratechnics front mount for it soon too as it feels a bit sloppy when accelerating and i had a quote from the dealers for £135 so may as well go for the vibra version instead. :)

Heres a few pics.

Looking very good Kip. Front end looks very clean and un-chipped. Like the recycling thats going on with your fleet :wink:

Is that a non standard grill there or did the 8v come with a 3 slat?

Looking very good Kip. Front end looks very clean and un-chipped. Like the recycling thats going on with your fleet :wink:

Is that a non standard grill there or did the 8v come with a 3 slat?

8v's were late cars so would of come with the late grill... (im a geek)

defo looks better with the sebrings Kip 8)

this is just my personal opinion, but i really do think Vibratechnics mounts are crap! - mine was asolutely shredded when i took it off my standard VR (and i certainly had not given it a hard life).

not only that, i've heard bad things from others who've replaced vibra mounts in the past.

afaik, VF enginerring mounts are the aftermarket ones to go for if you go that way. thing is though; the original is probably that tired now that just replacing it with another OEM item will probably feel infinitely better anyway....

car is looking spankingly clean as usual by the way :D