swiftkid

Swiftkids Corrado VR32

No, never had a water leak through the screen. The car had been sat for a while before I got to it so the laminate had started come apart.

I used some stuff called flyeye, its really weird stuff. When you go up close its a black sheet with loads of tiny little holes in, when you stand away from it you can't notice it and it does look good. it doesn't affect the light pattern that much but when you go up close it does look a bit strange, real easy to work with and cheap but think if i did it again i'd use lamin-x.

I couldn't really justify a full respray but the way things turned out I just went for it. My car needed bodywork and rather than it being a dint and spot of rust on one panel, it had chips and dints all over so it would have turned out very blotchy, plus it was already 2/3 shades of red when I got it. My mate was supposed to be doing it but I wasn't happy with his work so I took it elsewhere and as I have learn't you buy cheap you buy twice, so no point doing half a job and I will be keeping this for a while so its worth it in the long run.

Would definitely recommend the guys doing my paint to anyone around the area! PB Customs in Driffield, they are into their VW's as well which is always a bonus!

Edited by swiftkid

That's looking good! Looking forward to seeing it when it's back together. Corrados wear red very well :)

Thanks guys, the paint is a lot brighter in the flesh, my camera phone pictures don't do the paint justice at all!!! That picture is before they have polished it as well so the finish will be even better when its done.

The guys reckon it will be painted next week then I've got the fun job of putting it all back together! Told myself I am not putting any old or crappy parts back on it, we shall see how my bank balance feels about that. I'm in no rush though so hopefully it will be done right!

Picked it up about a month ago now, just have to rebuild it now... the real fun has started!

IMAG0410.jpg

Less than a mm sump clearance and the rails bottomed out whilst getting it on the truck

IMAG0411.jpg

Quite liked this photo

IMAG0412.jpg

I thought I best keep this thread alive. Well made a massive load of progress on it but taking things nice and slow to try and make this car something I will really be proud of and as it stands... WOW, I am soo chuffed with how it looks and how its coming out. The most recent pictures I have are crappy phone pictures but heres a sneaky pic that I like, rear end is now back together and I've moved onto the front end.

Hopefully its first real outing will be at Big Bang at Santa Pod 27th-29th, well worth the trip, amazing weekend and one of my favourite shows of the year!!! So if you're going come say hi and if you're not... why not!?

DSC_2774.jpg

Hehe, I'll get some more photo's up when I've done more work on it. Still got a fair bit of work until its to a standard I'm happy with. Had to send my freshly painted mirrors back because the painters did a most appallingly poor job on them. Just found out about new laws regarding light tints so the orange have gone on for MOT time, green bulbs seem to work pretty well but I'd be gutted if I got a fail on light tints alone so its not worth the risk.

Heres a very naff phone pic in artificial light, I tried my mates wheels on for fitment and tyre size, bit gutted they don't make them in 5x100 as they fit perfect! thats an 8x16 et 10 with a 195/45 tyre!

IMAG0514.jpg

Oof those wheels in that colour look hard!! Proper aggro man lol.

Fit looks bang on too.

Yea, its a pity they don't do them in the right fitment. I'm hoping my wheel choice will do the car justice, I have 2 sets I'm deciding between, 1 set are 8" wide with 195/40 tyres which are too low profile for my liking, hence the reason I trialled my mates 195/45's as he wants to do a swap. The other set of wheels are 9" wide with staggered offset. Decisions... decisions!

I hate to be a scene boy and say "I've got some wheels, but I'm not telling you" but yea... thats what I'm doing!

9j all the way whatever they are lol. Vr's need staggered offsets IMO due to the widetrack as you end up with more poke on the front then the back which is worse then running 18's on a rado as far as my eyes are concerned lol.

Yea, I do like them its just I quite like the slightly tucked look but we shall see anyway. Ideally I'm after some nice 3 piece 5 spoke splits in 16x8 but I'll have to see what comes up!

Anyway... after a full respray, its left my interior VERY dusty and my seats covered in paint and all sorts of crap. So my mate kindly let me borrow a wet vac!

Before (with a nice clean stripe)

IMAG0525.jpg

After... good as new! Just need to clean the bases

IMAG0526.jpg

Those wheels look awesome mate and the care looks superb!!!

Can i ask how much you paid for the respray / what trim are you needing to replace, or is all the trim you took off fit to go back on?

More pics would be cool mate :D

Don't think I should have posted a pic of them wheels now, when I show the wheels I am actually running people will be disappointed!

I paid too much for the respray, I'm yet to meet a trustworthy sprayer, everyone I have ever used has half arsed it leaving me to finish it off. I'll PM you the price I paid though.

Trim wise, it depends how good a job you are wanting. The window scraper seals are most likely to be knackered when you take them off so thats £110 for a pair, I have replaced anything that was in poor quality, replaced broken or missing clips etc but you could get away with just rebuilding it with same parts.

I thought the price on the spray was a good one mate tbh.

I replaced the passenger window scraper not long ago - though needs fitting better. I have the divers also - not going to to fit that until ive had a respray as i know how much of a byaaatch they are to remove and fit.

---------- Post added at 9:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 9:22 PM ----------

I thought the price on the spray was a good one mate tbh.

I replaced the passenger window scraper not long ago - though needs fitting better. I have the divers also - not going to to fit that until ive had a respray as i know how much of a byaaatch they are to remove and fit.

Well I'm getting very excited now! Back on all four wheels as of tonight, window scraper seals fitted and roof gutter seals ordered... ouch! getting windscreen fitted tomorrow. Still no sunroof as I managed to break mine whilst fitting the sunroof seal but hopefully should have one this month! Hopefully MOT on friday then its ready for the road, just to decide what wheels I'll be using. May even get some pictures this weekend!

Need pics u cant update without pics lol its against the law and it upsets everyone dave , why would you want everyone to be upset haha

Well windscreen guy came, after about 1.5-2 hours of fitting he turned round and said "the outer seal isn't gripping so I'm going to have to get another windscreen"... oh great. I did want it in for MOT on friday but its looking bleak, hes coming back tomorrow with another screen so hopefully this time it will be right.

Edit: Scary stuff, just as I was writing that got a phonecall off the windscreen fitter to say hes ordering a windscreen direct from VW, so even better... an original VW item!

As for pictures you will have to wait... Big Bang at Santa Pod is the first real outing so hopefully get plenty of snaps there! Might do some more sneaky shots though hehe

Quick little update:

Went in for MOT, failed on ABS sensor... that was it! not bad for a 17 year old car! Although sadly it has been raining tonight and my sunroof is leaking quite heavily, I'm hoping it just needs a little adjustment but at the moment there a towel in my car catching the water whilst its ****ing it down outside :(

Well, I've been putting off sticking some pictures up for long enough and sadly the first weekend I took it out properly the weather was absolutely horrendous. Went to Santa Pod for Big Bang festival, one of my favourite shows of the year, but the weather was shocking and just rained constantly so no drag strip action or anything else. Ended up staying for friday night then clearing off on saturday.

Anyhoo, here are a few pictures from the weekend. Bit of a story behind the cars which I think deserves to be told, we have been working around the clock to get them ready, most of all the red golf cabby. If anyone is interested in 'built not bought' stories read on, if not scroll down for pictures!

Red Mk1 Golf Cabby

Well the red mk1 golf cabby came into our workshop end of january (bare in mind there was 3 of us with full time jobs nothing to do with mechanics, just do it as a hobby). It had been stood for about 5 years, most parts robbed off for other projects etc. No engine or electrics, in fact when we rolled it into the workshop it had 1 wheel bolt in 1 of the wheels. Since then just about everything has been rebuilt or replaced, as well as converting it to run a 2.0 16v abf engine on oem management (loom converted myself). It was started for the first time last weekend and we managed to get it MOT'd and taxed the same week. Just typing it like that doesn't even begin to explain how much hard work we have had to do to get it to this point, so although it doesn't look amazing it was the most amazing feeling getting it to big bang.

The Corrado

Next we had mine, its had a full respray with various modifications, stripped and prepared mostly by myself and rebuilt by myself as quite frankly I don't trust people working on my car, all I ever see is poor attention to detail and that 'it will be fine' attitude. Whilst I was rebuilding it I decided to replace discs, pads, bearings etc. as well as undersealing the arches. I also sprayed the engine bay in crackle black but havn't had chance to take any photo's. Most of the seals are brand new, I had to bite my lip and order those roof strips, window scraper seals and a new sunroof seal from VW, it was enough to bring a tear to my eye but worth every penny.

Sadly the spray shop that did my car threw away my splitter so I was left with the one you see now, so if anyone has one for sale please send me a message. My car got finished this week and through MOT just in time.

Black Mk3 Golf Cabby VR6

The story goes, me and my best mate have always had one of those friendships of egging each other on with modifying cars and he had decided to go boring for a while with a 1.6 mk4 golf. I sent him a message with a mk3 golf cabriolet 2.0 8v just saying "get it bought", it was lowered on some quite cool 17" alloys for less than £1k. A few minutes later I got a phone call saying "when are we picking it up". So a few months after driving it around and loving it, the engine was smoking a bit and with me having the corrado VR6 I convinced him to put a VR6 in it which we did in 2 days which included removing the engine from the donor car. Unfortunately that engine turned out to be a duffer so out that came and whilst it was out I managed to convince my mate to convert to OBD2 like me. So about 2 weeks ago it was in, running and back on the road.

So all in all, for the past 4 months I've been rebuilding mine, helping rebuild the mk1 cabby and converting it to a 2.0 16v and rebuilding the mk3 golf cabby VR6. Now I've got a month of doing collegework and one hell of a night out after that!!! And here are a few pictures with a couple of redborbet's as well

DSC_3257.jpg

DSC_3221.jpg

DSC_3203.jpg

DSC_3190.jpg

DSC_3272.jpg

DSC_3289.jpg

DSC_3288.jpg

DSC_3267.jpg

DSC_3218.jpg

DSC_3277.jpg

DSC_3286.jpg

Edited by swiftkid