swiftkid

Swiftkids Corrado VR32

That sucks :( At least you're remaining fairly positive about it all though!

Picking up engine number 3 this week, this one has full service history, 50k and I've got a video of it running. Let's hope this is the one!

Well big day tomorrow, work all day then straight to the car to try get engine out and new one back in. Taken a bet at work me and a mate can't have the engine out and back in within 3 hours... challenge accepted hehe

Well it's in, long day at work meant I only had so much energy so didn't manage to get it running just in. Hopefully fingers crossed Sunday will be fire up day

Edited by swiftkid

It runs!!!!!!!!!! Soo soo chuffed, will try get a video up but I had to start it up then head straight out. Few bits to sort, don't seem to have a tacho, not sure if I've put wire in wrong pin or the A3 ECU doesn't send an analogue signal but now begins the fun of rebuilding it and getting it on the road

It runs!!!!!!!!!! Soo soo chuffed, will try get a video up but I had to start it up then head straight out. Few bits to sort, don't seem to have a tacho, not sure if I've put wire in wrong pin or the A3 ECU doesn't send an analogue signal but now begins the fun of rebuilding it and getting it on the road

Great news :)

Nope, the A3 BDB ECU doesn't have an analogue tacho, only the MK4 BFH ECU does. You'll need an rpm converter to hook onto a coil signal wire. Stealth Racing sell them for about £80ish IIRC. I just jumped mine onto coil 1, but traced the wire back to the ECU plug rather than messily splicing in at the coil end.

Congrats !

Great news, glad it's on the way to being sorted!

I believe the convertor Jabbasport sell was £45 when I enquired about them.

glad to hear it Swift! With your skills you'll have it running brilliantly in no time. Glad you've maintained the commitment. You'll need to change your thread title now to something like 'VR32 almost there now' ;)

Well I decided not to put it on the road this year, was rushing too much and I want it done right so back apart it comes. But for now here's a progress pic.

Also, I have a spare r32 engine, havnt taken the head off yet but if anyone needs any bits or wants a cheap engine to rebuild give me a shout. Think I heard you can use 4mo head, crank and management with r32 bottom end to make an r30.

e6cd7f000388da5556f9a8598da1ea0c.jpg

And a pic my mate took midway through the second engine swap

0a7c47a5a94a5f840d215fa8395445dc.jpg

Edited by swiftkid

I just want rid of it, taking up space in my already crowded garage! Got the VR6 engine, the R32 engine, the car, plus workbench so its a tight for space!

What do you mean clumpy? I've read you can use a 4motion crank in an r32 block to lower the compression ready for a turbo! But I certainly won't be doing that, long term plan is to rebuild the VR and go turbo but we'll see how I get on with the R32. I like the idea of the car having its original engine

I'll check 2nite there is a Mk3 golf with either what you said or it's a mixture of VR6 and R32 to make an R30 this thing is serious it's silly bhp and geared for a theoretical 230 odd mph. I'll update later.