VR6 Lee

Grand Turismo 5 - Official Thread

can anyone lend me a nascar please so i can complete the seasonal event?

i'd buy one myself but i dont think i can get to lvl21 (needed to buy the nascars) by the closing date as i just got to lvl19. Cheers!

I've lent you mine, just done that race myself, wasn't gonna bother because I didn't like the idea of racing a nascar on the ring but it wasn't too bad, only took 3 goes to win it.

Wait until you try an F1 on the ring in the wet, now that's a challenge! They're quick as fook in the dry but even with wets and max downforce they're damn near impossible to control on the ring.

Oh and a bit of advice for anyone thinking of doing an endurance race, your car takes damage and it's not repairable in the pits, had a go at the first one when I got over halfway, two laps up but hit the wall once too often and lost 5th & 6th gear. Had to quit the race because I was losing too much time per lap to finish anywhere but last place. It's not like GT4 either where you could let the AI drive most of it for you, you've got to do the whole thing yourself!

you're a legend. Ta mate!

thanks again Steve, i completed the event (on my 10th attempt!). Car has had it's oil changed and I restored the body rigidity too before sending it back.

cheers

H

pretty cool side-by-side GT5 and real life footage from the nurburgring

[youtube:3uf5nafm]-Mi_xKz3WLw&feature=player_embedded[/youtube:3uf5nafm]

ah man, have you got an F1 car, i was saving for one, but the cheapest is 10 mill :(

i seen 1 for 4 mil in the new special garage garage thing!

ah man, have you got an F1 car, i was saving for one, but the cheapest is 10 mill :(

i seen 1 for 4 mil in the new special garage garage thing![/quote:q8su6y6q]

I hate it when you see a car for sale and you dont have the cash to buy it, there was a Porsche for sale in the dealership and i couldnt afford it :( I wont see that again for a while :lol:

You win a delorean early on in a b-spec event, mines never left the garage. You should get your b-spec drivers working, they make some good money and win some really useful cars. The Zonda R and Mazda Furai Concept are capable of winning a good few a-spec races :)

Obviously racing yourself is more fun but if you can leave the ps3 going while you're watching tv, cooking or whatever it's well worth doing

Obviously racing yourself is more fun but if you can leave the ps3 going while you're watching tv, cooking or whatever it's well worth doing

cooking? :scratch:

cooking? :scratch:[/quote:2dl3iykm]

lol, needs to be done when you're between gf's, can only live on takeaways for so long!

Anyhow, for those that haven't already seen it this is a really good video of the ring on gt5

[youtube:2dl3iykm]-Mi_xKz3WLw[/youtube:2dl3iykm]

Hi

just got this game myself, played for the first time online couple of nights ago, and someone requested to be my friend, my question to you guys is would you recommend letting them joy as a friend if i dont know them, or is it ok? sorry if this is a silly question but just got my PS3 and dont want any one wreckin it lol, also can anybody recommend a good HDMI for it

many thanks

Chris :D

Hi Chris,

Yeah i have a few people who ive played online with, but dont actually know. I generally add people who play well for others. etc on Battlefield bad company i add people who co operate as a squad.

When you say recommend a HDMI, do you mean a cable, or TV??

Feel free to add myself.

Which reminds me Adam, what happened to you the other night mate?

Need to get a few of us together to have a good session, racing session.

A couple of people I've raced against have added me as friends, don't see any harm in it tbh, if they turn out to be nutters you can just block them. Feel free to add me as well.

If you're after an hdmi lead just buy whatever's cheapest, 'premium' hdmi leads are nothing but a big scam, the signal is digital so a lead either works or it doesn't. The salesman I bought my tv from in Comet tried selling me a £30 2m lead with it's own cleaning kit as he thought that was ideal for a ps3, would have told him to **** off if he hadn't done me a good deal on the tv. Got one for less than £2 delivered from amazon and it does the job perfectly well.

Need to get a few of us together to have a good session, racing session.

I'm up for that, don't know what others prefer but I tend to race with all the aids turned off except traction control and ABS, makes it more interesting

Yeah as Steve said adding people in general is fine. You can delete them as opposed to blocking them though.

Steve, im pretty easy as to how to set things, i havent played it too much with the aids off. But i am game :D

I also like to use the same, or very similar cars just so it keeps the playing field level.

If you're after an hdmi lead just buy whatever's cheapest, 'premium' hdmi leads are nothing but a big scam, the signal is digital so a lead either works or it doesn't. The salesman I bought my tv from in Comet tried selling me a £30 2m lead with it's own cleaning kit as he thought that was ideal for a ps3, would have told him to **** off if he hadn't done me a good deal on the tv. Got one for less than £2 delivered from amazon and it does the job perfectly well.

Just thought I would add my experiences with the HDMI leads. I had a run of the mill £30 lead and it was fine, the picture looked sharp and bright enough to enjoy. But when I needed a second lead for the Sky HD, I splashed out £60 on a beasty lead :cuckoo: . I used the new lead for the PS3 and had been playing Fallout 3 for weeks continually beforehand. As soon as I played with the new lead, wow what a difference :eek: My mrs who had seen me playing Fallout for so long commented how much better the picture looked, sharper still, brighter, richer colours. I know people have said about the digital signal will work or not work but there is a difference in components and quality of fittings that do make your picture better or worse.

Go for the best lead you can afford Chris, you will see a benefit. Oh and I hope you've got cinema surround sound setup now!!! :lol:

Hi Chris,

quote]

sorry about that mate, relatives turned up out the blue :brickwall:

had to go and brew up and pretend to be interested in all there problems as if i dont have any of my own!

i agree with the above statement of sortin some race sessions, maybe make some classes (bhp limits, weight, fwd, rwd etc etc) so we can prepare some cars for bumper to bumper action :norty:

Hi Chris,

quote]

sorry about that mate, relatives turned up out the blue :brickwall:

had to go and brew up and pretend to be interested in all there problems as if i dont have any of my own!

i agree with the above statement of sortin some race sessions, maybe make some classes (bhp limits, weight, fwd, rwd etc etc) so we can prepare some cars for bumper to bumper action :norty:

[/quote:34d3cuta]

Yup.

Need to get a list together.

Monday or thursday nights are best for me.

If you're after an hdmi lead just buy whatever's cheapest, 'premium' hdmi leads are nothing but a big scam, the signal is digital so a lead either works or it doesn't.

That's only partly true. Yes, it's digital so you'll get a picture. However, there are several versions of the HDMI standard, which all have different bandwidth capabilities. You might as well look for a cable that meets the latest standard (v1.4 at the time of writing) as you never know what you'll want to connect with it in the future.

There's probably very little difference between any cables that are v1.4-rated though, despite their price. Less then a tenner should get you all you need.

Just thought I would add my experiences with the HDMI leads. I had a run of the mill £30 lead and it was fine, the picture looked sharp and bright enough to enjoy. But when I needed a second lead for the Sky HD, I splashed out £60 on a beasty lead :cuckoo: . I used the new lead for the PS3 and had been playing Fallout 3 for weeks continually beforehand. As soon as I played with the new lead, wow what a difference :eek: My mrs who had seen me playing Fallout for so long commented how much better the picture looked, sharper still, brighter, richer colours. I know people have said about the digital signal will work or not work but there is a difference in components and quality of fittings that do make your picture better or worse.

Go for the best lead you can afford Chris, you will see a benefit. Oh and I hope you've got cinema surround sound setup now!!! :lol:

Mattew son which lead did you buy???? when can i come round for the lights? and when can i kick your ass on GT5 ??? :norty: :lol:

An HDMI cable is like a network cable. There are different standards which allow for longer distances and (on certain networks) higher speeds but ultimately it's just a network cable and 99% of the time the cheap ones work just the same as the expensive ones.

My PS3 is hooked up with a £2 Amazon HDMI cable and I defy anyone to prove that a £100 Monster one does anything different.

That's only partly true. Yes, it's digital so you'll get a picture. However, there are several versions of the HDMI standard, which all have different bandwidth capabilities. You might as well look for a cable that meets the latest standard (v1.4 at the time of writing) as you never know what you'll want to connect with it in the future.

There's probably very little difference between any cables that are v1.4-rated though, despite their price. Less then a tenner should get you all you need.

That's true but pretty much any cable you get nowadays is v1.3, either way, a v1.0 cable has enough bandwidth for any mainstream device (including ps3's and blue-ray). Why spend more money on the off chance you'll buy something years down the line that needs v1.4.

I know people have said about the digital signal will work or not work but there is a difference in components and quality of fittings that do make your picture better or worse.

That's the placebo effect, there is no way better quality components can make any difference whatsoever to a digital signal. It's not like an analogue signal which can be improved with expansive cabling. The data goes in as a stream of 1's and 0's and comes out as 1's and 0's, there's nothing an expensive cable can do to make them better 1's or 0's. If it was losing this data you'd see pixellation or loss of picture (if you've ever seen digital tv or sky when the signal is weak you'll know what I mean).

Let's say you had an expensive digital camera and wanted to hook it up to a pc to download the pictures from it, do you think a £100 USB lead with gold plated connectors would make the pictures any better than if you'd connected it with a cheap lead?

The only thing that looks better with an expensive cable is the cable itself.

funny lots of people are sayin this about HDMI cable i spent £15 on a QED one they are ok but What HIFI mag says Chord supershield is the best and it got product of the year!!!! i was away under the impression that you payed for what you got only cos when i was into HIFI's they said it about the speaker cable and interconnects and even the mains kettle lead makes a big difference??? apparently???

well thanks for the advise guys

alright jimbo?? hows you?? still lovin VR ownership?? :norty:

Must have about 10 HDMI leads of varying cost and makes. Never spent more than £10 on any one lead (and that was only becuase it was a longer 2m lead). I have genrally found that a lead will either just work or it won't. My rule when it comes to HDMI is not to go overboard and start spending silly amounts of money.

As mentioned before, I'd buy somthing which is 1.4 spec to ensure it is futureproof. Also stay away from really cheap cables (less than £2) as I've found they are false economy and generally HAVE caused me artifacting or temporary loss of signal.

Anyway, back to the racing. Was having a blast this morning for half an hour and popped into the UCD and picked up an '01 RS4. What a monster!!! I did some "light" tuning and it's pushing just a tad under 600 brake now. I love it! Would be very interested in having a dedicated RS4 session :)

Finally Online...Hooray!

Anyone got a Nascar they could gift me???? I have the daft MiHev car for one of the online challenges if needed :norty:

PS3 ID: Rado-Steve

Oh yeah and what did you guys use for the Historic Race??? Have a Chapperal in the UCD but its 12million credits.....

Oh yeah and Got a Mk1 Golf GTI last night too..... :clap: