Abdul

How to remove dashboard on late model rado

As above guys, what's the DIY procedure for this? Is it particarly difficult to do?

Cheers

Abdul

One bolt either side of the dash on the outer part which the doors cover when closed.two or three bolts up through the scuttle ( these being the most tricky part) one more bolt behind the centre console. Not a difficult job tbh just have to be systematic with it..take out all the dash trim first etc....if you look at my build thread the beginning should show pics of the dash out etc..hth

Cheers Andy, any pics of said bolts? Bit of a dumbass request but I don't have my next rado just yet and I suspect it's going to have a grey dash which I personally dislike.

Thanks

Edited by Abdul

Take a look at Kris's heater matrix guide. Loads of pics in there. Make sure you label every wire/plug as soon as you disconnect it ;)

Think the outer bolts are 8 or 10ml and the rest are 10 or 13ml from memory..pretty sure there's a step by step guide in the wiki..

Yeah it looks like a plain but I don't mind working with the cars interior so should be ok...

Im just going to wait till I have all the trim bits I want and strip the whole interior in one go.

Storms looking ace btw... I found it quite amusing how both your old valver and vr are for sale ATM lol.

The ones under the scuttle really are a PITA! I honestly almost put the ratchet through the windscreen in my rage at trying to get them off!

It's an easy but long job imo.. in theory you could do the lot in a day but if you allow a weekend it'll take the stress away.

yep, the 2 bolts you get to from the engine bay are a bit fiddly, but it is just a case of going slowly and trying not to break anything!

you'll be fine bud, if i can do it im sure you can.

Baz

Cheers gents...

Baz it's the scuttle bolts that concern me lol, I'll end up smashing something with rage haha!

To be honest it's quite a good oppurtunity to tidy up any messy bits in the loom aswell. That combined with the matrix etc will probably end up taking up a full weekend.

Yep, just follow the guides and you'll be fine and yes it's a long job but as has already been said take your time and label everything.

It's a little scary when you remove the dash and think hell what have I started but stare at it long enough and all becomes a little clearer.

I did mine about a year ago, just make sure you don't need the car for a few days, it'll take the pressure off.

no, its really not that bad at all.. if you're trying to do the whole thing with spanners it might be a challenge but if you have a socket set its fine.

It makes fitting stereo wiring much easier too! I literally striped everything interior wise out of my new one when I first got it, I think that took me less than a day.

---------- Post added at 05:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:29 PM ----------

Oh.. and i didnt label ANYTHING! that just takes longer! :bonk:

Cheers guys. I have tools galore these days thanks to all the cars I've been through and every single one being stripped out to install my sound system lol.

Baz, how's your project coming along?

I've done this three times now, and as above,not difficult,just te consuming ! The two bolts behind the scuttle are 10mm,use a deep 3/8 socket set with a 4" extension bar,they are directly in line with the joins on the window trims. I've had no trouble taking the dashboards out and my hands are like bunches of bananas !

Good luck

Yeah it looks like a plain but I don't mind working with the cars interior so should be ok...

Im just going to wait till I have all the trim bits I want and strip the whole interior in one go.

Storms looking ace btw... I found it quite amusing how both your old valver and vr are for sale ATM lol.

Thanks chap 8) Yeh shame about those two- reckon Laura wants to keep it though ;)

Thanks chap 8) Yeh shame about those two- reckon Laura wants to keep it though ;)

Haha!! Too true.

Edited by lauraJ

If |I can do it anyone who has been taken into Halfords and told "Look, that's a spanner" can do it

Tis relatively easy to do - just time consuming. And definitely swap the heater matrix whilst you're at it - the ideal time to do that job!

I might be wrong but I'm sure when I did my matrix, one of the two scuttle bolts was spinning so I couldn't undo the nut (this was a couple of years ago so I might be remembering incorrectly). For that reason it might be worth having a second pair of hands about to help with these ones.

sorry to hijack, but how do you get the glovebox out of the dash ? :) I've un-done the screws but cannot for the life of me get the box out of the bloody dash! I need to locate the wire for my glovebox bulb holder :)

this is a horrible job Pete. If you look along the bottom edge of the glovebox you'll see an extended plastic 'lip'. This is actually about 1cm high you basically you need to push the glovebox upwards and the lower edge of the dash downwards and then pull the glovebox through the gap. You'll have to pull pretty hard and dont worry, nothing in the dash will break. I've cut this bit off from mine for just that reason. Hope that makes sense.

Not at all.. just requires one well built man who's willing to swing and hang off the damn glovebox to get it to come out. It's a total arse but it does go eventually!